Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • How much/often do you ride? really? honest?
  • wormhole

I consider myself to be a "Keen" cyclist, I have a full sus mtb for off road and a nice carbon road bike for road. I tend to ride off road for fun and on road for fitness (and time) but I think on average I get out on my bike about 3 to 4 hours a week, sometimes a little more and sometimes less. Again I am reasonably fit for an old'un (50 this year) but am I "average" or well below or (not likely) above what most of us here do? I know some talk about hundereds of miles a week and all, but I am fairly sure they are the extreme end of the spectrum. Just wondering??

foxyrider
    Free Member

commute 2-4 days a week – knee pain dependent (so thats about 2 hours)

At least 3 hours of MTB a week.. mostly weekends.

Does Spinning count 😉

In the summer however I often go out one night a week – and sometimes twice on the weekend – However I am married so have to think about her sometimes 😉

tracknicko
    Free Member

hmmm. 1 big (club) ride per week. 9am-3pm (ish)- typically 70mi. (sunday)

2 evening 'training' sessions of 35 mi each (ish) 2hrs or so.
    (tues and thur)

poss night ride with pals (wed or fri)

at least one track session at bolehills anywhere from 2-4hrs…

i normally run out of days! normally take mondays off to recover from sunday..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I'll have a go at this

Road bike – Probably about 4 times per week
    Mountain bike – Once per week, but should be doing a bit more now the whether is good
    BMX – Once in the last month

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Due to injury and surgery I only got back on abike this weekend after 7 months out the saddle. So I averaged none.

Normally in winter I guess I only get out every other weekend doing 2-3hours a time. Once winter is out the way then I'm out saturday and snday each weekend and once I twice during the week. The time varies alot though as I DH and 4x mostly, so there is alot of uplift time and pushing up hills. I reckon I average 3-4hours a week in the saddle at most, I say saddle I mean stood on the pedals.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I rode downhill on sunday, most of the time was spent pushing up, probably about 30minutes riding

woody2000

Usually 2 MTB rides of 2.5hrs+ per week, plus commuting if I can be arrised 🙂

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

The usual aim (if I'm lucky with work) =
    Two evening rides of about 1-1.5 hours
    Four to five hours XC on Saturday
    Day pushing to the top on Sunday

Usually about 30-40 miles with around 2000 meters of climbing (ish) over the week

I've love to get out in the week more though…..and to have more time to run/do weights/sleep/eat

leftyboy
    Free Member

I do a weekly night ride of around 2.5 hours, a weekend ride of 2 -3 hours.

I used to do 1.5 hours commuting 5 days a week but am now self-employed and working from home (well currently NOT working as I'm reading forums :-))so I occasionally get 1 x 1 hour ride in but only every other week or so.

I never thought I'd miss commuting!

grumm
    Free Member

Been out about twice in the last 6-7 months 😉

I rode downhill on sunday, most of the time was spent pushing up, probably about 30minutes riding

Whereabouts do you ride DH? I noticed you are in the Lakes?

Would like to get into DH more and overcome my wussiness. 🙂

fontmoss
    Free Member

3 times this year not including commuting 🙁

new uni course has destroyed any free time, i was prob riding once or twice a week when lived in madrid

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Whereabouts do you ride DH? I noticed you are in the Lakes?

I went to hamsterley, but theres a few tracks in the lakes, i just dont really ride much dh anymore/at the moment.

Hamsterley is a good place to go though, the top section was really good on sunday.

uplink
    Free Member

This time of year

Tues, Wed, Thurs for at least a couple of hours & 4 hrs [ish] Sat & Sun

tinsy
    Free Member

Once a week, about 15 miles, twice if I can really get organized to free up the time… Then occasionally a big ride, or a race, maybe 2 big rides a year 100k offroad sportives, and maybe 3-6 shortish races.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Lots of things have kept me off the bike this year until the last couple of weeks. At the moemnt I average one ride per week of about 1.5/2hours. Don't usually go flat out on those rides either so distance/height is quite low! Did Hamsterly black on Sunday and it killed me!

Aiming to up it now the longer eveings are here with Tuesday & Thursday Evening rides after work for 1 hour and keep up one weekend ride for about 2 hours.

joolsburger
    Free Member

OIver winter I was doing around 6 hours a week usually one evo and a weekend ride.

Since the clocks went forward, 1.5 hours three evenings a week and a half day ride on Sat or Sunday.

Getting to the point where missing a session pisses me off.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Most days I ride a bike to run errands around town. Once or twice a week I ride for 3 – 6 hrs. Occasional long runs.

lagerfanny
    Free Member

Ride my mtb an average of around 20 miles on a Tuesday evening group ride & 35 miles with a couple of mates on a Sunday.
    The evening rides are within BST, however the Sundays are about 48 out of 52 weeks!

thepurist

Being self under employed I usually do 2-4 midweek rides of about 1-2hrs each, depending on how much work I haven't got – they're usually non stop but not exactly what any of you would call race pace so anything from 8 to 15 miles each. Plus another 2.5-3 hrs ride with MrsP about 3 weekends out of 4, but that's usually got plenty of stops.

29erKeith
    Free Member

I ride something somewhere just about everyday
    commuting/shops/just getting around (Self imposed Car free state)
    +
    2 or 3 2.5-4Hour off road Rides a week (probably only 1-2 during winter)
    a monthly overnight bivy ride 40+Miles (last 6 months without a break anyway)
    occasional MTB and adventure races and longer day rides e.g. Southdowns way
    and occasional weekend trips trail centres, Brecons, Exmoor, Lakes..

miketually
    Free Member

Commute 5 days a week during term time, which is 5 miles a day. That seems to be enough to keep my ticking over so that when I do get out for a proper ride, I can do a decent distance.

Sunday's proper ride was 25 miles on the road, group ride at Hamsterley of 16 miles and then 25 miles home again.

(Seems to be a lot here who were at Hamsterley on Sunday – I was on the white SS Inbred)

ton

commute every single day…
    2 away rides a month and 2 family rides a month.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Most days, even if it's just to the shops – just love to get out. Don't put loads of miles in but easily make up for that with the fun factor. I work 4 days – only a short commute but I usually take the local woods route home and probably do a couple of longer rides each week too . . . only 3-4 hours each at the very most (usually shorter), but for me it's all about having fun, not getting the miles in.

lyons
    Free Member

Preety much everyday in the good weather. Been riding my bmx alot recently, but out on the MTV tonight

LenHankie

Used to be every weekend off road and a daily cross-London commute. Now (with 9 month old daughter) one ride every 3 weeks if I'm lucky…

njee20
    Free Member

Two evening rides of about 1-1.5 hours
    Four to five hours XC on Saturday
    Day pushing to the top on Sunday

Usually about 30-40 miles

Really? You must stand around chatting more than riding!?

I usually commute in 2-3 days a week, 1hr each way, 3-4 hours one day at the weekend, 2 half hour runs, one long run, and two swim sessions. So what's that… 8-10hrs/week on the bike usually. It's all about making the most of the time you have if you want to get quicker, of the rides I do, none of them are just 'rides', take the hilly route into work, throw some intervals in on the way home, training takes care of itself really!

When I was just doing cycling I was commuting in 3-4 days and riding both days at the weekend, I quite enjoy the triathlon training, mixes it up a bit!

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Depends on work-the joys of self employment, at the moment I'm lucky to get out once a week on the bike as training for a marathon & working every weekend. Hopefully should be have more time soon, then it'll be road bike couple of times a week, one evening mtb ride & a decent daylight mtb ride 4hours ish.

DaRC_L

Just don't 😥 last year, with the Etape looming, I was riding 12-14 hours a week. This years been rubbish and I'm down at around 5-6 hours or less.

Note to self – must ride more…

Joxster
    Free Member

I rode my bike once last year, and I'll go out again this year.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Just started commuting so 35miles a day, and then long rides on most Sundays, and on Sat tea time, I am for 10 Laps of the red trail at Delamere on the CX so thats another 30miles.

I'm aiming to enjoy the summer, and no longer be #18stoneofidiot 🙂

Possible redundancy may mean I get more chance to train. 😕 🙁

Keva
    Free Member

65-85miles per week. mixture of riding to work & back, shopping, social and a bit of cross country. dunno how many hours riding it adds up to, never bother to count. 20 odd mile cross country route usually takes a couple of hours.

Kev

oldgit
    Free Member

I can't commute so that's out.
    Two core rides a week all year which are 2.5hours MTB night ride and 3-5 hours Sunday road ride or all dayer MTB/cross ride. All of which are at 'training pace'.
    With the lighter evenings I add an extra 2 hour midweek road ride and 2-3 hours Saturday off road.
    Last week though I clocked just under 500K of training.
    I then ease off again when the road racing starts.

slowjo
    Free Member

Just shy of 200 miles last week of which 70 ish off road, but that was a good week where I had plenty of time. Usually I average 50 to 100 (sometimes more) a week in the summer months, about half that in the winter.

brassneck

Now state how many children you have in your answer.

I suspect we may see a correlation 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

4 days of the week I ride 18miles to & from work.

Weekends recently has been MTB on one day and road (between 50 & 80miles) the next.

SO loads really, but not as much off road as I'd like

cheers_drive

In the summer 2 x 2hr evening rides. 4-6hr weekend ride.
    In the winter once a week minimum (I’ve failed a few times this winter).
    Measured in hours as miles are completely dependant on road / mtb / terrain / weather….

uplink
    Free Member

Now state how many children you have in your answer.

I suspect we may see a correlation

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

4 hours training on road a week
    6 hours a week MTB
    2 Commuting

Im only 18 so no children and very little commitment.. LOVE IT !

_tom_
    Free Member

Much more than I used to. I try to get an hour a day in but doesn't always work due to uni timetable/work. At the weekend if I go out on a ride somewhere that'll be 3-4 hours depending where I am. So on average about 7-8 hours a week, not much really.

Simon

Currently 2hrs Sunday morning, commute Monday – 40mins each way, 2hr Tuesday nightride, Thursday commute again or another 2hr nightride, all MTB.
    And 2 kids BTW.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘How much/often do you ride? really? honest?’ is closed to new replies.