Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • How much would you offer a neighbour to buy their garage?
  • Daffy

Approximately? Anyone done this or somthing similar.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

15k?

bruneep

what is it worth to you?

nickjb
    Free Member

Look on the property websites and see what they are going for in your area. I expect it'll be worth a bit more to you as well.

fubar
    Free Member

Going to depend on lots of things…construction, size, location….
    I was thinking of knocking my old garage down and building a new one…knocked that on the head when the cost looked like it could hit £15K (although you can get a pre-fab concrete garage from £1.5k to £10K plus)…and then there is the value of the land…

how about £20K for a wild guess.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Could you not just long-term lease it?

Daffy

T'is a bit complicated.

The garage in question belongs to a chap who's house is just down from where I'm considering moving.

The garage is up an unpaved (heavily potholed) driveway that it's impossible to get a car bigger than a fiesta up without a consideable ammount of skill. My BMW bottomed out on the way up and I have to fold my mirrors in to avoid touching the 4ft high walls of the approach.

The garrage is curretly unused, door blew off 18 months ago, but he still has some tat stored in it.

I want to restore it and use it for a workshop/bikes.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What it's worth is all down to, location, location, location. Chelsea near a tube station ? Or out in the sticks ? But as an average for the SE, a garage without electricity £10k ?

Daffy

Grange Over Sands in South Cumbria

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Wouldn't bother.

If the road is a pain to get down you'll be forking to have that fixed. If the garage is too small for a modern car you'll be tearing it down.

Also you'll have two title deeds to sell if you want to move – which can put people off.

If it's just only ever going to be useful as a workshop for bikes then the selling audience is limited. I know this isn't the be all and end all but it is worth considering when splashing your beans on property…..

spooky_b329

Sounds like a candidate for a cheeky offer of £5k, he might bite your hand off 🙂 On the other hand, he might be happy with £2k.

Daffy

Hmmm, but would you sell a garage/piece of land for £2k?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Last garage I saw for sale round here was £30 000

Zedsdead
    Free Member

sorry for hijack. TJ, I sent you an email – after some advice…..

Cheers

konabunny
    Free Member

Hmmm, but would you sell a garage/piece of land for £2k?

Who else is going to buy it? Sounds like no-one.
    Is it much use to him? Sounds like no.

miketually
    Free Member

If it's no use to him and he needs the cash, he might take a very low offer.

DT78
    Free Member

Personally I'd just offer to lease it off him for a couple of hundred a year. Doesn't sound like it's much of an 'asset' so I wouldn't bother going for outright ownership.

If he doesn't use it at all, an extra £200 a year for effectively no effort should go down well…

z1ppy

The only problem with leasing, is if you've spent some time & money sorting it out, the owner may decide to start using it again, rather than continue leasing it the 2nd year.. Maybe a lease with a minimum period with get out clauses in case either of you sell up.

Otherwise get yourself down to the local estate agents for advice? Also the worn drive way, is it a public access or are you on his land? Buying the garage is one thing, getting legal access rights maybe another.

konabunny
    Free Member

http://www.jupix.co.uk/frames/pooletownsend/more_details.php?profileID=222628

18 grand – but accessible to many, not just to certain people.

aP
    Free Member

Before thinking about buying anything take a good look at ownership/ access rights over the track. It'd be quite tedious to buy the garage shaped object and then find you have no means of getting to it.
    I'd just think about renting it.

shooterman

We built our garage in 2001 for £8.5k. Given the fall in property prices, that might be a guide pice?

Brainflex

I would say try and buy especially if quaranteed a right of way to it.
    If the price is low enough.
    I have held a developer to ransom before now for a silly bit of land.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘How much would you offer a neighbour to buy their garage?’ is closed to new replies.