• This topic has 25 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by km79.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • How much water do you use a day?
  • breninbeener

For the past 6 months it has just been me and my partner living in the house. Our daughters are away at university. This has seen our average daily water use drop from 0.69 cubic metres to 0.43 cubic metres.

This service costs me £60 a month…im on a meter and it seems v expensive!

We use a shower not a bath, we are frequent washing machine users with cycling and running kit. We have a dishwasher too.

If i pee in the loo, i leave it rather than flush it every time.

What is your water consumption, and am i being ripped off?

whitestone
    Free Member

Are you sure the charge is just water and not water and sewage disposal? Our last house was on a water meter (it had previously been a holiday let so presumably the owner charged pro-rata for the water usage) but we had a septic tank for sewage. From memory the water bill was about £20 per quarter. This was for two adults, no kids and not being profligate with usage.

Current house is on a private water supply so absolutely no idea. If we have a heat wave I’ll check the supply tank weekly to make sure we aren’t going to run out.

Edit: 430 litres of water a day? This page gives 150L as a low figure and 370 as a high figure.

johndoh
    Free Member

No idea how much I use, but our bill is £63 a month (two adults, two 7 year olds), daily showers, regular baths, washing machine almost constantly running.

Mowgli
    Free Member

0.13 cube per person per day here – or 12 cube per month in a house of three. Not vastly different to yours. Also on a meter and about £50/month iirc but it keeps changing as the balance swings from credit to debit. It’s not like you can choose an alternative water supplier, so probably not worth worrying about.

I sometimes ponder having a water butt in the loft to harvest rainwater for the toilets, but it’s not really practical in a normal house. It’d be on the list of things to have if I was building my own house.

nickc

I’ve just checked my bills I used 0.09 cubic meters a day last 6 months, just me on my own and I’m away for a couple of nights most weeks, 1 maybe 2 loads of laundry a week and daily showers.

I pay Yorkshire water the princely sum of £9.00 a month (and I’m in credit)

bikebouy
    Free Member

12 cups of tea, 2 espressos, 1 shower, rinse sink and flush loo twice.

What’s that then, about 30ltrs ?

breninbeener

£10 of that charge is the standing order to deliver and take away….i really thought we were quite careful…

We dont use the bath, we turn taps off when brushing teeth etc. Im guessing the dishwasher may be a villain.

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

Don’t know what I use litres wise but pay £20 month just the two of us though.

Stoner
    Free Member

over the last 6yrs*, we average consistently 0.3m3 (300L)# per day.
    2 adults, 2 children. Working from home so bog flushing, hand washing and coffee making costs born by the house not a corporation.

* yes, the data is in a spreadsheet.

# fresh water cost seems to be about £1.50/m3 now. So about £0.50 per day. Waste water another £0.25 per day.

nickc

shouldn’t be the dishwasher, I think they tend to be pretty frugal. But together you’re using nearly 5 times the water I am 😯

g5604
    Free Member

We pay £87 water and waste. Currently battling southern water, was paying £130 a month.

breninbeener

It appears that Welsh Water are very expensive….the irony is that it really does rain an awful lot!

spooky_b329

I wouldn’t know except our waste water bill came today. 0.215 cubic meters a day, 2 adults. What I don’t understand is the graph showing my water use shows a slight increase over the last three billing periods, yet my direct debit has been reduced by 25%…

winrya
    Free Member

2 of us, 4 bed house, daily dishwasher, baths and shower daily, wash the cars rather a lot and I pay £19 a month. Down from £75 a month the water rates were before I switched to a meter

toofarwest

Just paid my latest bill, was showing consumption of 0.1 cube per day (last two were both 0.09)

nemesis
    Free Member

0.59 a day…

2 adults, 2 kids, lots of sport and probably too much clothes washing…

MrSmith
    Free Member

Pay about £120 a year on meter. When I moved in Thames water sent me a bill for £600! Turns out the previous owner was the only person not on a meter in my block and had probably paid over £5k unnecessarily in water bills.
    Showers not baths, just me here so 1-2 washing machine loads a week (partner has own place) half a sink to wash up in the evening. I obviously do not waste water.

manton69

Just for info the raw clean water is the lowest cost element of any water bill. The actual cost, in terms of licence is way under £0.01 per cubic meter. The vast majority of the cost is the power to pump the water to you and to take it away to the treatment plant. That is part of the reason that power companies own the majority of the water companies.

By way of contrast people pay stupid amounts for a plastic bottle of water that is in no real way different from that coming out of the tap, but nobody complains about that.

themilo
    Free Member

Problem is that the per unit costs as well as standing charges varies from one supplier to another. The water companies have vastly differing running costs depending on what they’re responsible for, the geographical nature of their areas etc. Think about the vast amount of reservoirs Welsh water have and have to maintain then factor in the mountainous nature of their patch then add in what they have to do to get the waste water back out and still make sure all those welsh beaches are blue flag compliant. They also have a fair amount of responsibility for coastal areas too. I’d imagine that lot adds up a bit. They’re not for profit too – imagine how much your bill would be if they had shareholders to please as well.

tonyf1
    Free Member

£60 a month for 2 is high. Have you read the Meter yourself or are you relying on suppliers reading? Out of the last actual 5 actual reads 4 where incorrect. Check toilets as these can constantly run. I would be tempted to get water company out to check supply. We did when we got a large bill due to a misread.

For reference we use about £30 per month for 2. That included daily washing machine and dishwasher plus easing car with hose.

footflaps

We pay £41 for 10 months of the year, not on a meter, so no idea how much we use……

BurnBob
    Free Member

We live in Scotland so get it all for free! (Well, just gets rolled into council tax) can’t imagine having a water meter. Bad enough watching the smart meter ticking up the gas and electric. I always double flush.

Kryton57

According to the Thames water app we – family of four – use an average of 273l a day, costing £24 a month which is below average. Our current non metered cost is £30 a month.

I’m tryng to imagine what 273l looks like and how we use that much…

rob2
    Free Member

Welsh water are not for dividend, not ‘not for profit’. 🙂 they make a profit but use it to offset the borrowing costs to reduce bills

Op – you may have a leak. To test take the meter read at night then again when you wake you. Assuming you have no appliances on and no one goes to the loo in the night if it has moved you have a leak.

I can’t remember Welsh water’s policy but usually most companies fix your first leak for free

breadcrumb

I think our water bill is about £17 a month.

We’re on a septic tank and no meter.

km79
    Free Member

We don’t have many water meters generating bills in Scotland, usually it’s lumped in with council tax and it’s not free at all.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘How much water do you use a day?’ is closed to new replies.