Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How much to upgrade to disc brakes? Less than £300?
  • marvincooper

My bike is pretty old, but apart from the v-brakes I like it a lot and don’t really want to sell/scrap it just to get better brakes. It has frame and fork mounts for discs so just need wheels and brakes.

Would it be possible for less than £300? Much more than that and I might start looking at a used bike instead.

james
    Free Member

Are your shifters sperate from your brake levers or are they combined into one unit?

I’d guess it should be possible for under £250 fairly easily new with handbuilt wheels. Obviously used it’d be less
    Have a look on merlin cycles, looks like it might be possible for around £212+ plus postage

What do the frame/fork mounts look like?

IS mount or post mount (your frame I’d guess will be IS mount?)

marvincooper

They’re combined shifters/brakes, so new shifters too then, hadn’t thought of that. Maybe still under £300 for new bits though?

james
    Free Member

How many gears on the rear?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Secondhand parts easily under £300. I paid around £50 an end for hope minis, £50 a wheel for basic disc wheels

transapp
    Free Member

I bought a sey of XT discs for £130 s/h and a set of Hope hoops for £140 again s/h off this site (or could have been bike radar). All was as new and works briliantly. Cheaper ranges (ie SLX) would of course be cheaper still s/h. Trawl those classifieds!

marvincooper

OK, just been to check the bike – I have 8 gears (thought it was 9, had to count 3 times to be convinced!). Fork (tora) has post mounts. Frame looks like the IS mount (2 holes on a welded plate, basically).

marvincooper

Aha, that looks just right, thanks for the help guys, I started looking myself but was a bit overwhelmed by choice and not knowing what I was looking for exactly. Ta!

hilldodger
    Free Member

Remember to register your e-mail if you buy from Merlin and you’ll get 10% “VIP discount” on most stuff 😀

marvincooper

This does mean that the only original bits of my bike will be the frame, stem and bars… And it’s only a Hardrock frame…. but it fits and I like it so what the hell

marvincooper

Cool, thanks hilldodger!

hilldodger
    Free Member

This does mean that the only original bits of my bike will be the frame, stem and bars…

Yay, Triggers Broom Bike 🙂

TuckerUK
    Free Member

You can keep your combined brake/shifter levers if you go cable Avid BB7s, and save a packet if you rebuild your own wheels.

RobHilton
    Free Member

TuckerUK +1

BB7s are rather good.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How much to upgrade to disc brakes? Less than £300?’ is closed to new replies.