Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • How much to cut a hole in my wall?
  • bencooper
    Free Member

I’m expanding (business, not waistline) and taking the next-door unit as well – and I’d like to knock a doorway through. It’s 200mm breezeblock, and it’ll need a lintel presumably. Is this something it’s sensible to consider doing myself, or better to hire a professional? Is it a £200 job or a £20,000 job?

stumpyjon

Rather depends o is it a retaining wall, how much above, how wide a hole. I put a metre wide hole through my garage way of single brick putting a concrete lintel in. Only about 8 courses above the hole so not much weight but enough to be self supporting whilst I put the lintel in.

The biggest issue is what support the wall needs whilst you install the lintel and how big the lintel is.

Doorway sized hole in the hundreds, full width lots.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

hmmmm, I’d take a guess and say six, maybe six and a half camels

project
    Free Member

youll need to apply for planning permission and change of use if it wasnt a shop next before.and notify building control at local council.

seosamh77
    Free Member

i can probably just about manage a bid around the £20,000 mark. 😆

tjagain

critical thing is is it a loadbearing wall. Is this a modern industrial unit in which case its probably not load bearing but who can tell?
    For a non loadbearing I would have thought a few hundred. Its load bearing a couple of thousand but thats very much a guestimate

Non loadbearing – easy to do – take you a day with a few hire tools. Loadbearing get the pros in for insurance if nothing else

Murray

I’m expanding

drlex
    Free Member

I’ve had this done at work between a couple of units (non-load bearing). Masonry chainsaw (not disc cutter) and a concrete lintel; done in a jiffy and the whole job finished well within in the day. Don’t forget to tell the landlord!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Nah just fit a pair o curtains like jack and victor.

Have you told the shop next door yot annexing them 🙂

timber

Just make sure you measure right. Doorway between the two sides of our warehouse was 40mm too short for the forklift. Even after the first attempt that removed the door frame.

bencooper
    Free Member

Cheers all – not load-bearing but maybe get a pro to do it anyway. The landlord says no problem, as long as I promise to put it back if I leave.

tjagain

Not load bearing – simple diy job. I’ve done a couple

Can you take the wall all the way out to the ceiling? No lintel at all needed then

bencooper
    Free Member

There’s a suspended ceiling so that’d be a bit odd I think.

scaredypants

200 million and about 6 yrs:

maccruiskeen

FFS – the OP is an astrophysicist and yet somehow doesn’t think the occasion warrants making a portal gun.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Not difficult and could do it yourself (look up “lintel needles”) but a builder will do it faster and will have the props etc that you might otherwise need to hire. If you’re doing it time when you’d otherwise earning using your own skills a builder would be cheaper.

bencooper
    Free Member

Can I do it with explosives?

maccruiskeen

Can I do it with explosives?

only once

JoeG
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXnVxj5JjzI[/video]

maccruiskeen

If only there was some way to edit video

bencooper
    Free Member

Impressively quick, not sure about the finish 😀

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘How much to cut a hole in my wall?’ is closed to new replies.