Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How much for a small woodburner?
  • titusrider
    Free Member

We are going through a house purchase with a fireplace something like this:

How much should I budget for a small cast iron wood burner in its place including all fitting? (surrey area)

Installed something like this depending on what we find when we take the fireplace out.

duckman

I will get flamed for this(geddit)But in my new bachelor pad I put in one of the £300 5.5kw ones from Amazon and it is just as hot as the £1000 5kw fancy Burgundy one in my ex’s house. Probably because it doesn’t have her cold,frozen wrath sucking the heat and cheer out of the room.

EccentricEllis

Depends what you have and complications etc.

Budget around £1000-£1500
    That’s if you don’t want something mental posh

EccentricEllis

^^ LOL

jam-bo

sorting the chimney will cost significantly more than the woodburner.

Drac

About £1.5k for ours and most of that was for the burner, sorting out the chimney cost significantly less than the burner.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I will get flamed for this(geddit)But in my new bachelor pad I put in one of the £300 5.5kw ones from Amazon and it is just as hot as the £1000 5kw fancy Burgundy one in my ex’s house. Probably because it doesn’t have her cold,frozen wrath sucking the heat and cheer out of the room.[/b]

😀

titusrider
    Free Member

Anyone got any pictures of their similar installation?

Jambo do you mean the brickwork in that picture or the flue and lining etc? Im open to ideas about how the woodburner is surrounded, im new to this home alteration business and have no idea what im likely to find behind the fire!

Ps Duckman 🙂

granny_ring

Our stove – £400
    Paying for installation of flue & micafil insulation, register plate @ top cap – £1050
    New sandstone hearth, sand & cement – £40ish
    Help with removal of old fireplace and fitting hearth – Couple of beers and grub for mate 🙂

mrbiker473
    Free Member

Installed something like this depending on what we find when we take the fireplace out.

But don’t get that stove, Little Wenlock, as your chimney sweep will hate you (being one i would), have a quick google of how hard the baffles can be to remove…

DrP

Titusrider…
    Give me a day or so and I’ll start writing up my similar install I’m going through (DIY route) – I’ll put it on my blog.

Cost so far is about £1600 for everything. Plus my time. But it’s fun, so u haven’t charged myself for that…!

Log burner is an ekol clarity 5 -£599 for a British made DEFRA multifuel burner.

DrP

scaredypants

Duckman, you’ll miss her if we get a heatwave this summer 😀

sharkbait
    Free Member

Paying for installation of flue & micafil insulation, register plate @ top cap – £1050

I wonder what happens when the flue liner finally rots through (it will happen to them all in the end regardless of quality, it’s just a question of how long it takes).
    Does the insulation start falling down into the stove slowly blocking it off? I presume when you replace the liner all the insulation falls down into the room?

duckman

I am on a gable end and had concerns about just that. There is also a bit of chat about how the insulation retains moisture.

granny_ring

I ended up re-pointing the bricks. You can get steel liners made up to fit the recess, would have cost us around £150.

@ Shark, who knows but yes guess you would see it appear in the stove at some point! Was told our liner should last 15 yrs or so, when the time come to replace it guess you remove the stove pipe adapter from the register plate and place bags there to collect the granules as they fall?

martinhutch

Probably because it doesn’t have her cold,frozen wrath sucking the heat and cheer out of the room.

Only on STW could the first answer tto any random question open the door to some kind of relationship bitterness. 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How much for a small woodburner?’ is closed to new replies.