Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How much discount would persaude you to get a brand new car?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Smart money buys nearly new / used etc. etc., but if you could get 20% off list price, would that tempt you into a new car?

Sui
    Free Member

20%, as you can then trade it in without the residuals hitting you too much / if at all.

I can get this discount as a supplier with some people (but not those i actually want to) and the sums make sense to trade in every 18-14 months for a new model, knowing that when you finally cash in you get your money back (think of tyre wear, service, tax etc..)

geoffj

Depends on availability to others and how long the lower prices will be available for.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

It was a hugely over the odds PX allowance on her aged Micra that persuaded Wifey to buy her Hyundai new.

matt_outandabout

Discount is not the only factor.
    Cost overall and cash tied up is

simon_g

Depends a lot on whether that’s “good” for that car or not. Some manufacturers routinely discount heavily from list prices, and that has a knock-on effect on used values.

Lots will also discount via “deposit contribution” to their own finance schemes which sometimes aren’t brilliant value.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Available to a fairly restricted market but probably almost permanently Geoff, although the last 4-5% of that 20% is from haggling.

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s on a Toyota family car paying cash.

jambalaya
    Free Member

If I wasn’t really looking I would be tempted with 10% for new, 20% on a demonstrator vs new price. As posted above it depends on the brand but you’ve answered that with Toyota, ie great brand. I imagine dealers have targets and people still focus on the “new reg” in March so I expect deals will be quite good at the moment as its a very quiet period for sales post Christmas and pre March new reg.

FYI it’s ages since I bought a new car but we got 9% off Audi, the Rav4 we bought a long time ago (13 years !) was about 20% less than new price for 6 month old demonstrator. Both cars we kept 8-10 years and did 100k-120k miles in so new vs used depreciation we weren’t so bothered about.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I last bought a brand new car 11 yrs ago, a Fiesta, which is still on my drive 127000 miles later, although not for much longer as its, frankly, knackered. I got about 7-8% off that so I thought 20% off list on a new Toyota was enough to make it worth doing the same thing again.

aP
    Free Member

We got 30% off our Focus estate, so with the trade in from my old Berlingo, that made the painful parting of money bit less than £9k.
    Which was nice. Those discounts stopped happening after Iceland went bust though, so we’d have to be particularly pleased with another new Ford to think about buying something new in the near term.

IA

Smart money buys nearly new / used etc. etc., but if you could get 20% off list price, would that tempt you into a new car?

I never thought I’d buy new, but managed to haggle over 30% off and my currently (new shape) berlingo ended up cheaper than I could find any s/h ones for (they had only been around a year at that point), plus the spec etc. I wanted.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

managed to haggle last year 2-3K off RRP plus all bling + protection pack that can be put on the car and also on 0%APR 5yrs ….muppet car salesman is dodgy …he asked me what do I want to persuade me to buy a car, I said to give me that showroom car full kitted top of the range and 00mileage for the price of the one I test drive which is the lower shitty spec and only 5speed gearbox, but he gave me the top spec price anyway, I checked their internet price which is not the same so I took it straight to his boss and demand my deposit back, he was relieved of the sale and was only dealing with the manager and they give me the car for the price I want anyway. My daughter is happy… boring car a Yaris… still prefer the Fiesta or Polo

geoffj

Sounds good then. I was thinking about those 10k zafiras which knocked used prices when they were on sale and will likely affect sh prices a couple of years down the line when folk come to change them.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How much discount would persaude you to get a brand new car?’ is closed to new replies.