Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How much!!
  • Simwit

A friend & I have been down to Wales to do the Whites Level at Glyncorrwg (sp?) today. When we got there my friend discovered a problem with his freehub that couldn't be fixed so it was either hire a wheel or head home so he hired the wheel. It cost him £30! is that not just a bit too much for an afternoon when you can hire whole bike for probably not a lot more? I thought it was a bit cheeky when most bike shops would have an old wheel knocking around.

br
    Free Member

Why didn't he just buy one?

Anyway, he turned up with a broken bike, and you then have a go at the bike shop for sorting you out with a wheel…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh come on, they could've hired him one for a tenner or something, surely?

£30 is taking the piss.Name and shame so I can avoid the place if I ever go there.

donsimon
    Free Member

Is it possible the wheel was taken off a rental bike leaving the bike unrentable for the next guy?

taxi25
    Free Member

It does sound a lot !!! But what would be the right price ? I suppose they know the situation your in and charge accordingly. Wasn't there any chance of Skyline repairing your mates wheel ? Bits could be a problem I suppose.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Dont usually rent wheels, take one off a working bike and risk it coming back mashed (try arguing what's fair wear and tear for a day rental on an MTB) – £30 seems about right.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I must admid £30 seems about right, Because a bike couldn't be used because it had no rear wheel and probally a mechanic fitted it and sorted cassette and rotor.

They could have just said no, rent a bike.

Lesson learnt in checking bike over.

Simwit

I must admit I thought £10 would be about right, maybe I'm just a dreamer 😕

stevomcd
    Free Member

As someone who rents out bikes, about £30 was my first thought…

Wheels are the worst thing for coming back wrecked.

Pierre

As someone who's been responsible for maintaining a fleet of rental bikes, I'd also say about £30 for a wheel for a day doesn't sound unreasonable.

As others have said, it probably meant incapacitating one of the rental bikes and then setting up the gears and / or disc to make it work. It took a bike out of circulation and it took a mechanic's time.

It sounds harsh, but the hire places have to make money, because they have to keep their fleet running and they have to pay their staff as well as buying tools, spares, oil, brake fluid etc. before you think about the cost of the rent, electricity, heating, la la la… £30 to get your mate riding for an afternoon is pretty defensible.

: P

Simwit

Fair play, seems I'm a bit out of touch with what stuff costs to run.

Cheers for your input guys

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How much!!’ is closed to new replies.