• This topic has 46 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • How many pull ups can you do ?
  • righog
    Free Member

7 Now

4 weeks ago 2

You ?

They are bloody hard for the middle aged man.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Probably about a half.

tazzymtb

Still loads of wide arm overhand (50+ comfortably), but not as many as I used to when bouldering on a regular basis.Frenchies and type writers are more fun in a kind of…dear god thats cheeky way

jimmy

Probably 8 with a beetroot face.

righog
    Free Member

8 show off 🙂

coolhandluke
    Free Member

1/2

P-Jay
    Free Member

None, not a single pull, not even half of one.

A big nasty plate in my left wrist means the pain of just taking hanging there would make me cry and I haven’t got the range of movement in right arm to do it anyway. Other things I can’t do:

Bowl – either Indoor, green, 10 pin or indeed cricket.
    Golf.
    Darts
    Pool or snooker.

So really it was a bit of a blessing in disguise.

willard

13 strict. That hurts.

The most I have done in a session was 100, but that was broken up into blocks of five with 10 press-ups and 15 squats to keep them company.

And a mile run before and after.

matt_outandabout

Probably about a half.

righog
    Free Member

1/2

Probably about a half.

This is why we started.

A friend got a personal trainer prior to his wedding…OK let’s start with pull ups….

Friend……Grrr..MMmmm.GGrrrr……Can we call that one ?

Personal trainer….No….. how about a half ?

🙂

midlifecrashes

Only been to the gym twice all summer(because bikes), but I was doing three sets of 12 in June. I suspect I’d struggle to do 10 today, but they aren’t all that hard to build up, providing you can do that first one. (slightly overweight 50 year old).

Harry_the_Spider

2. Max.

Rorschach
    Free Member

A friend got a personal trainer prior to his wedding….start with pull ups

I may have missed something here.I not sure when being able to do pull ups will come in handy post marriage.Self defence?…Yeah I can see that.

shermer75
    Free Member

.Frenchies and type writers are more fun in a kind of…dear god thats cheeky way

What does this mean?

deepreddave
    Free Member

shermer75 – Member

.Frenchies and type writers are more fun in a kind of…dear god thats cheeky way

What does this mean?

I googled it. Types of pull ups. 50 sounds like quite a lot. 2 sounds doable.

stu170
    Free Member

23 underarms

smatkins1
    Free Member

Not a good workout for a cyclist.. my super muscular lower body is very heavy 😉

taxi25
    Free Member

Back in the day 20, just tried now and the answer is 1 😳

finbar
    Free Member

Nine with perfect form, and then one ropey one after a bit of a hanging rest.

I do pull-ups every few days and I’ve been plateaued at this many for literally years.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Now? Or a few years ago when I was a bit lighter and a lot fitter?

Actually, don’t worry, the answers still one and a half regardless.

scaredypants

OP: in a minute, or just total ?

😆

joshvegas
    Free Member

Pull ups are like weighing your bike.

By not doing pull ups I can do 15.

langylad
    Free Member

When my kids were young i used to impress their friends by doing one handed pull ups. The cleverer ones used to point out i was cheating.

sadexpunk

Not sure how many bodyweight, but 14 with 14kg weight hanging from a belt.

brakes
    Free Member

not sure about mere mortal ones, but if I nail my feet to the floor and just use my left little finger, pulling up on a bar made of molten uranium 17ft in the air, I can just about do 200. it’s been a while since I tested myself as I’ve been too busy rescuing bikini models and kittens from the middle of tornadoes.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Not many but I can do them hanging 45 degree slopers, 5mm crimps, back two pockets and monos.

cheekyget
    Free Member

It depends on which way I’m holding the bars …( I got one of them bars that hook on the door frame)
    7 one way and 15 the other ……but I do use it daily….just as I’m passing I’ll do some, rather than doing loads of reps
    It’s great for abs too….I can almost do 10…ha ha ha

onandon
    Free Member

I do 5 reps of 17 with 33 press ups inbetween.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Doesn’t it depend how much you weigh?

Say someone who’s 9 stone can do 25 and someone who’s 18 stone can do 20…

Then add into the equation that both are being chased by a bear and are trying to climb a tree to escape…

who survives?

brakes
    Free Member

the bear

ampthill

I think I might once have done 11

I think zero now

MrOvershoot

At work we have a 1″ BSP pipe that runs across the bottom of a stair well.
    My record was 28 pull ups (I can only manage 11 now due to weighing 115kg)
    We have an apprentice who can do 50 without looking like he’s trying 🙁

mboy
    Free Member

Used to be able to do 30… 2 stone ago and several years of not stepping foot in a gym!

Suspect I’d be lucky to do 3 now…

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Can do 40 on a good day, strict form, also sets of 10 with 20kg, also do front levers, weighted dragon flags and full hanging leg raises.
    I’m 52 and raise a few younger eyebrows down the gym.

RustySpanner

Exactly the same amount I could do 30 years ago.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Can do 40 on a good day, strict form, also sets of 10 with 20kg, also do front levers, weighted dragon flags and full hanging leg raises.
    I’m 52 and raise a few younger eyebrows down the gym.

& I’ve got a 10″ tongue & can breathe through my ears.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I could do 8 or 9 a few years ago when I was going to the climbing wall regularly. Probably only 1 or 2 now though.

Shred
    Free Member

Last winter I started a winter strength training program, and got up to 12, although not perfect form. I found the training really helped me through the year of bike riding and for my big events.
    I haven’t been in the gym for about 3 months now due to too much riding, so probably can’t do many now.

dannyh
    Free Member

Now, when I were a lad I was whippet thin, but quite strong around upper body and shoulders. I could do about thirty alternating between in front of the neck and behind the neck. Now I can manage about three.

I can’t decide which is the deciding factor. Whether I am now an upper body weakling or the weight I am asking my arms to lift has increased by about 25%. I suspect a combination of the two. Whatever, I think I may be past my prime.

prawny

I’d worked up from zero to 7 a couple of years ago, but slacked off and can probably only do two now. Although I did manage to get across the monkey bars at mabie last week messing about with the kids, I’d never been able to do monkey bars when I was younger.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘How many pull ups can you do ?’ is closed to new replies.