Home Forums Chat Forum How many pairs of footwear do you own?

Viewing 37 posts - 81 through 117 (of 117 total)
  • How many pairs of footwear do you own?
  • Cougar

Not many, but probably more than I think. Let’s see:

Salomon approach shoes which are my everyday footwear, they’re basically trainers.

An old knackered version of the above which I kept for the MTB or when I’m likely to get slutched up generally.

A pair of smart-casual black shoes which I used for when in the office, probably Hush Puppies or something similar.

A pair of smart black slip-ons which I bought in desperation for a funeral after my partner had hidey-tidied the above pair. Worn once.

Brown brogues I bought for my wedding, been worn maybe three times since.

A pair of Doc Martens which I kept for indoor messy jobs like painting, they’re actually my old school shoes!

Converse knock-offs from a supermarket or somewhere like TK Maxx, bought on a whim as I fancied a change. Terrible purchase as it turned out, they look OK but the soles are paper-thin. I’d get some insoles but they’d probably cose more than the shoes did.

New Rock stompyboots, a remnant from my rock club days. Likely never to be worn again as they’re too small, I should probably move them on.

Bergaus walking boots. Been to the moon and back, I had to replace the laces due to wear, but they still look brand new after a bit of a wipe down. Brilliant kit.

Running trainers.

Two pairs of rock climbing shoes, comfy ones and 5.10 Anasazi instruments of torture for technical stuff which I’ll probably never need to wear again.

Motorbike boots. Retired as I no longer have a bike.

Birkenstock sandals, on my feet right now. Spendy but supremely all-day comfortable. Bought for an holiday in the sun but that was really just an excuse to justify getting them.

Pool shoes, bought for the same holiday. Neoprene and mesh slip-on things with a grippy rubber sole.
    Moccasin-style slippers for in the house.

So what’s that, 16 pairs? My point is, I don’t really care about shoes (hence me typing three paragraphs about them), they all serve a purpose. I think the only thing I’ve intentionally doubled up on functionally is rock boots, and that was because the Anasazi had got to the point of making me not want to climb.

Cougar

Loads.

You can never have too many pairs of trainers

If it’s much beyond “one” then it’s too many unless you’re a collector. I don’t really understand how people – well, men at least – have “twelve pairs of running shoes,” that’s at least ten too many.

Combat flip-flops

I understand even less, “going into combat, best get the flip-flops.”

oh god… 40+ easily now and used to to 100+

You have a problem, seek counselling.

id love to see your shoe storage pics at this moment in time so i can find a space for them

Stuff on daily rotation is on the shoe rack. Occasional(/never) use footwear goes in the bottom of the wardrobe.

chewkw
    Free Member

I have too many pairs of footwear not because I want to have more, but because there is something wrong with one of my foot due to ankle injury, which is not set right.  As a result my shoes either get destroyed quickly or I just don’t wear them much because they are causing too much pain to my feet.   Shoe inserts I have many too.

lunge

@cougar, “twelve pairs of running shoes”
    Happy to break mine down in use case.
    2 x comfy, well cushioned pairs for slow recovery run. I choose which I use depending on the conditions and terrain (basically, I prefer one but the outsole is crap so useless if it’s wet)
    3 x trail shoes. 1 pair for long stuff, 1 pair for road to trail runs, 1 pair for racing.
    2 x tempo shoes. Like the comfy shoes, I could make this 1 pair if Saucony released a shoe that had an outsole that gripped. As they haven’t I need a pair of Pumas for the rain.
    2 x spikes. One pair for track, one for XC.
    4 x race shoes. 2 pairs of the same as they’ve stopped making them so I stocked up. One pair that are awesome for 10k’s but I struggle for long runs in. 1 pair that I bought in a whim as they look mental but don’t really suit my gait so don’t get much use.

This is, obviously, ignoring the ones that have been retired to gardening and dog walking.

The other thing to remember is that I just like running shoes, so even if I try to justify the numbers it’s tenuous as best.

tjaard

Wow, you folks are amazing at keeping down the foot based clutter. Although, I do claim some of it is due to the fact that I do sports and activities that require specific foot wear.

about 8 pairs of around town casual/dress shoes/boots

“Running” shoes (I don’t run, but use for hiking and such)

”Wellies” [there, I got to write that. Such a fun word. Much more entertaining than our (American) “rubber boots”]

Goretex Hiking boots

Sandals

insulated winter Hiking boots

high top waterproof mukluks for winter

flat pedal shoes

clipless bike shoes

hightop, waterproof clipless bike shoes

skate ski (Nordic) boots

classic ski (Nordic) Boots

Backcountry Nordic ski boots

Backcountry Alpine Touring ski boots

Resort alpine ski boots

Ice climbing boots

Comfy climbing shoes

Performance climbing shoes

wetsuit booties (whitewater kayaking)

do ice skates count? if yes:

hockey skates

speed skates

I probably missed some.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

2 pairs of Nike SB lows

4 pairs of Nike SB highs

3 pairs of Vans

Half a dozen pairs of Five Tens

A pair of Adidas Terrex

A couple of pairs of walking type boots 

A couple of pairs of brogue boots

Some Fancy Cheaney boots

A pair of DMs

And a pair of Sorel snow boots

I did have a bit of a clear out recently.

mefty
    Free Member

Weekday formal 7 black (oxfords, semi-brogues, full brogues)
    Casual 1 brown brogue, 2 ankle boots, 1 suede, 2 leather sandals, 3 full boots
    Gardening Wellingtons, Work boots, knock off crocs x 2
    Cycling x 7
    Cricket x 2
    Astro x 2
    Running x 5 maybe more one “current” and a pile of old ones
    Rugby x 2
    Golf x 1
    Walking x 4 (Boots and Approach)
    Ski x 1
    Tennis x 1

alpin
    Free Member

Embarrassingly probably more than the GF has….

9 pairs.

Old 5:10.

New 5:10 bought at bargain price of £25 at an Adidas outlet store.

Samba Velo SPD shoes.

Old North Wave SPD disco slippers.

Winter walking boots.

Knackered Nike trail shoes.

Winter Barefoot shoes.

Smart leather shoes.

Knackered Flip flops that I wear 99% of the time even for long walks. Been repaired several times now, but reluctant to replace them as they’re so good (thin sole, fabric strap).

somafunk

Looking back through this list I’m shaking my head……..How the hell do you folk manage to have so many frekin shoes?, at no point during my life have I had more than 5/6 at any one time….where do you keep them all?.

colournoise

Not sure I want to count, thinking it will just end up being ‘too many’…

Good work boots (Blundstones)

Old work boots (DMs)

Dress brogues

Winklepicker Chelsea boots

Patent DMs

A few pairs of casual trainers (1 x Adidas (Superstars), 1 x DC canvas things, 1 x FiveTen Sleuth, some old/old skool DC skate shoes)

Too many MTB trainers (1 x Trailcross, 1  x Trailcross GTX , 1 x FiveTen Freerider, 1 x Leatt 3.0, 1 x Shimano Bike and Hike boots, maybe a couple of other pairs of others kicking around too)

Adidas walking boots

Adidas trailrunning shoes

Keen Clearwaters

Some Sliders

Aldi lined winter boots for dog walking duties

Rigger boots for trail building

2 pairs of old Merrels for workshop/gardening/decorating duties

That’s 24 I reckon, and probably 4 or 5 more pairs of footwear that I’ve forgotten about are sitting round the house somewhere.

alpin
    Free Member

10…. I forgot my toe caps.

Cougar

@cougar, “twelve pairs of running shoes”
    Happy to break mine down in use case.

Well, this is what I was saying, it makes sense if there are different use cases. But

The other thing to remember is that I just like running shoes, so even if I try to justify the numbers it’s tenuous as best.

is really the answer, isn’t it. 😁  Half of your ‘stocking up’ will likely outlast you or be replaced with something better that you’ll feel compelled to buy.

(What the hell is a “tempo shoe”?)

Cougar

skate ski (Nordic) boots

classic ski (Nordic) Boots

Backcountry Nordic ski boots

Backcountry Alpine Touring ski boots

Resort alpine ski boots

Apologies for my skiing ignorance, but is what you need there not just “a pair of ski boots”?  Are they all disparate disciplines necessitating different footwear?

lunge

@cougar, ignoring that it was a retorical question, my training is polarised so my runs are either hard and fast or slow and steady.
    Tempo shoes are shoes designed for faster training runs, they run well at pace but aren’t as fragile as race shoes.

nbt

Apologies for my skiing ignorance, but is what you need there not just “a pair of ski boots”?  Are they all disparate disciplines necessitating different footwear?

I know that for instance touring vs alpine uses different mounts, and usually different boot construction as in alpine your ankles flex in order to pressure the boot, where in touring you’re more or less walking in the boots so they need to support a lot greater range of movement. Nordic is entrely different with a much smaller lighter boot more akin to a winter cycling shoe

tops5
    Free Member

Adidas trainers – around 35 (lost count)

General shoes – 6

Sliders – 1

Flip flops – 1

MTB flat shoes – 3

Walking boots – 1

Slippers – 1

Edukator
    Free Member

Google is your friend on ski boots, Cougar. There are half a dozen disciplines and for each discipline there are at least a couple of different standards. It’s a bit like MTBs with multiple niches and categories of wheel sizes, axle standards within each… .

In my list I just wrote “X-C, touring and alpine ski boots” rather than try to go into the detail but just for X-C in my cupboard there are skate (like roller blading) and classic (like running) skis and boots. And I use three different boot and binding standards. Happily there are adaptors so you can fit  NNN adaptors to SNS drilled skis to use NNN boots… bla bla bla etc.

DrJ

“a pair of ski boots”

Similar to “a pair of cycling shoes” :-)

colournoise

Not sure I want to count, thinking it will just end up being ‘too many’…

Good work boots (Blundstones)

Old work boots (DMs)

Dress brogues

Winklepicker Chelsea boots

Patent DMs

A few pairs of casual trainers (1 x Adidas (Superstars), 1 x DC canvas things, 1 x FiveTen Sleuth, some old/old skool DC skate shoes)

Too many MTB trainers (1 x Trailcross, 1  x Trailcross GTX , 1 x FiveTen Freerider, 1 x Leatt 3.0, 1 x Shimano Bike and Hike boots, maybe a couple of other pairs of others kicking around too)

Adidas walking boots

Adidas trailrunning shoes

Keen Clearwaters

Some Sliders

Aldi lined winter boots for dog walking duties

Rigger boots for trail building

2 pairs of old Merrels for workshop/gardening/decorating duties

That’s 24 I reckon, and probably 4 or 5 more pairs of footwear that I’ve forgotten about are sitting round the house somewhere.

Forgot my ‘splatter’ Converse…

elray89
    Free Member

3 x pairs of “casual” trainers for walking about town etc – Vans, Nike x 2

1 x Adidas Velosamba for commuting

1 x Northwave SPD shoes

1 x Shimano Road shoes

1 x Etnies Culvert flat pedal shoes

1 x Road running shoes

1 x Trail running shoes

1 x Lightweight walking boots

1 x Winter mountain boots

1 x Doc Martens Chelsea boots

1 x Timberland 6″ boots

1 x Safety boots

1 x Weightlifting shoes

1 x Nike “Metcon” general gym shoes

1 x Smart brown leather shoes

1 x Highland dress brogues

1 x Teva sandles

1 x Merrel Moab from 2012 that I use for “odd jobs”

1 x Scarpa climbing shoes

1 x Wetsuit booties

I have a problem. That’s 22 pairs of shoes. I am sure there are more that are just in the attic.

onewheelgood

My first reaction was ‘not many’. Then I started counting…

Merrell approach shoes – my everyday 3 season shoes.

Same but knackered and demoted to gardening

Innov-8 goretex boots – winter everyday

North Face Goretex boots – old winter everyday

Innov-8 hiking boots – dry weather hiking

Lowa Renegade Goretex boots – wet weather hiking

Shimano XC7 – road/gravel shoes

Leatt Clip 6.0 – MTB shoes

Shimano 595 – old MTB shoes

Shimano MW5 – winter MTB

Specialized Defrosters – old winter MTB

Brown Brogues – smart work

Black Brogues – smart work

Very old pair of Churchs – funerals and black tie events

Grey Ecco oiled leather shoes – smart casual work

Brown Ecco oiled leather shoes – smart casual work

Rieker Brown boots – casual

Slippers

Wellies

Old walking boots demoted to wildlife trust volunteering

Work (site) boots

Ski boots

22! Given that I’ve been retired for 3 1/2 years, the work ones could probably go, and I’m never going skiing again, so those could go. The old cycling shoes could go but I keep them for days when the newer ones haven’t dried out from the previous ride.

toby1

Think I got into the late 20’s but have just remembered a pair I forgot. I like trainers, especially Nike.

Some under the bed, some in the cupboard under the stairs, some on the shoe rack, some in the garage, then a pair at work for after cycling in.

All told though all combined my wife could cover the cost in 2, maybe 3 pairs of hers. She has fewer trainers than me, but more red soles and some vintage McQueen’s.

SaxonRider

1 x hiking boots

1 x approach shoes

1 x Adidas trail shoes (desperately need replacing!)

1 x Palladium hi-tops

1 x Puma trainers

1 x Loakes boots

1 x wellies

TOTAL = 7 pairs

Do I win? Or lose?

colournoise

Forgot my ‘splatter’ Converse…

And another pair of DM Chelsea Boots I’d forgotten about…

sirromj

I waste enough time on social media without having to then research the answers to my posts. Jeez.

funkmasterp

Just checked and…..

1 x pair of climbing shoes – Red Chilli.

3 x pair of cycling shoes – 1 x 5 10’s for flats. A nice weather pair of Specialized clipless and a waterproof cozy pair of bright orange Endura things.

1 x of Solovair Derby boots.

1 x of And Sons retro baseball boots.

1 x Vibram five fingers.

5 x pair of Vivobarefoot shoes and trainers. 2 x trainers and 3 x shoes

2 x pairs of Sanuk things

That’s more than I thought and I mainly wear the Derby boots or And Sons baseball boots other than when doing sports.

Cougar

ignoring that it was a retorical question

It wasn’t. Thank you for the explanation.

TOTAL = 7 pairs

Do I win? Or lose?

You don’t have slippers or some other form of indoor wear?

reeksy

Seems at 11 pairs i don’t have that many…even if Mrs Reeksy thinks I do:

Two pairs of spd shoes

One pair of flats

One pair of moto boots

One pair of Mongrel work boots

Two pairs of work shoes

Two pairs of running shoes

Wellies

Crocs :)

As for storage, we did that some time ago:

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/shoe-storage-solutions/

Cougar

What do you wear when you aren’t running, working or riding?

reeksy

Running, riding flats or nothing.

CountZero

*shrugs*, dunno, and I don’t care enough to bother fannying around trying to count them. Lots, let’s just leave it at that.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Unlikely to be a whole number. Time for a clearout.

mr edd
    Free Member

I’m 64 and have loads, put it this way if I wore each pair untill they wore out I’ve easily got enough to last my lifetime. But I’m a sucker for “worn just once” stuff on ebay 🙈

nicou
    Free Member

4 walking boots
    3 Smart shoes
    2 running trainers
    2 crocs
    2 regular sneakers
    2 flip-flops
    1 sandals
    1 slippers

tjaard

@Cougar:

indeed, skiing is like biking:

Skate Nordic  skiing= road biking, ie you do it on manmade smooth surfaces, and most people wear Lycra.

IMG_5304

classic skiing = also road biking, but different movement, so needs completely different boots (and skis). Otherwise same as above.

backcountry Nordic = gravel biking. Yes, just like biking, you could take your 25mm tired road bike on a rough gevel road or forest road, it’s not much fun. No lycra. Many beards.

alpine skiing = DH biking. Same places too. Lift served, max support, heavy . Boots do not have a walk mode. No one (except racers wears Lycra)

alpine touring skiing = XC , trail, or Enduro biking. You go both uphill and downhill, so compromises are made. In fact, many people have 2 pairs of AT boots, for this reason, just like there are people who have both an XC bike and an Enduro bike. Some people wear Lycra (including all racers), most do not.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Mrs Merman thinks I have (and I quote) too many shoes:

Sandals;

Smartcazh trainers;

Smart tan brogues;

Smart black brogues (2nd-hand off eBay last year for a funeral);

Tired tan Chelsea boots (2nd-hand off eBay 8 years ago);

Tired (well, nearly FUBARd) walking boots;

Knackered trainers for gardening/DIY (which I calculate are 18 years old);

SPD shoes (seldom worn these days);

SPD winter boots (haven’t worn in c.10 years);

Wellies.

Is that too many???

smiffy

I seem to have more work footwear than some have in total.

• 2x chainsaw boots
    • 1x foundry boots
    • 2x riggers
    • 4x safety boots
    • 2x safety shoes
    • Hiking boots for work
    • Shoes for when I have to go to someone’s office

That’s before I get onto SPD, daps, flipflops, topsiders, dealers etc. for civvy street.

Viewing 37 posts - 81 through 117 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.