Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 196 total)
  • How many of you have been to London ?
  • CountZero

I live in North Wilts, London is 100 miles straight up the M4, in the car or by coach, and I can walk up to the station if I want to catch a train up. I guess I’ve been up six or seven times in the last eighteen months, countless times over the last thirty years or so, nearly always for a gig, but use a whole day to take in a gallery, museum or something like that. I go often enough to have got an Oyster Card five or six years ago, and I love the place. Sure it’s busy as hell, but so’s Bath on a Saturday afternoon, to the extent I won’t even go into the city on a Saturday anymore.
    It’s a capital city, one of the biggest in the world, with a history that most other capitals can’t come close to matching, and attracts vast numbers of people.
    If you’re going to visit a city like London, you have to accept the rush and noise, and go with it, and enjoy it for what it is.
    There are loads of parks and open spaces in the city, and many hidden quieter spots to explore.
    Would I live there? No, family and friends are all around Wiltshire, but if money allowed, I’d get a small place somewhere like Greenwich, or even Southwark, a friend of mine lives there, and has just opened a new bar close to the cathedral, and I really liked the feel of the place, so I’d be quite happy to spend days at a time up there, there’s always so much to see and do.
    And having been to LA, well, it was interesting to visit for a week…

ourmaninthenorth

Born there and spent my first year in Wimbledon I believe. Then out to Oxfordshire for the next 18 before heading Northwards.

Always wanted to return to London as an adult but somehow managed to end up in Manchester. I now live in rural Lancashire and am in London at least once a week for work. Basically I’ve become everything I hate.

London can do that.

(Otherwise, it’s an amazing place, but has it’s place and shouldn’t make the rest if the country poorer for it.)

samuri
    Free Member

Late 40’s, worked in London for periods of 3 months at a time. Then I worked there for weeks at a time, then just days. I’ve visited a thousand times on day work, been a few times on city trips, go on work say once every couple of months at the moment.

Hate the place. Unfriendly, so many people seem obsessed with isolating themselves in one of the busiest places on earth. Smells funny, the water is horrible, the tube is one of the most depressing places on earth and it takes 17 times longer to walk anywhere in London than anywhere else on the planet.

It’s alright though, I’ve experienced similar levels (although not quite as bad) of horribleness in just about every other city I’ve been in around the world. I’m not mad keen on cities to be fair.

I think what makes it so bad, is the absolute sure fire confidence of it’s permanent inhabitants that it’s the most wonderful place when it’s just a great big expensive, noisy shithole.

Hope this helps.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Thanks Samuri, I didn’t think I could look forward to it even less but now all I’m looking forward to is being a Kings Cross on Sunday evening to hop on the train back to normality!

matydubz
    Free Member

28 visit London one a month for work.

I think certain comments in this thread sums up why some people dislike ‘London’. To the outsider it appears that London is one big willy waving contest.

To be honest I haven’t explored London and I would like to however I have no burning desire to do this.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Lost count and also lived there.

Walked across it too.

See theatre 5 times a year too.

Watched the riots from a few metres away.

Good food too.

London is ace in the nice areas.

Kryton57

MrSmith – Member
    Lived here for 20+ years, I get the itch to go back ‘home’ every once in a while but the casual racism, provincial attitudes, life revolving around propping up the bar and tedium start to grate after a few days and I can’t wait to get back.
    Best thing about it is how much it gets up people’s noses when they don’t ‘get it’. Worst thing is the tourists and tourist areas. The public transport is better than most places,

I do find the attitudes the OP mentions interesting though, a real sense of resentment that reminds me of those feelings some people have for richer and more successful siblings, jealousy mixed with feined indifference and a bit of self loathing for not quite being on their level instead of not giving a toss and just getting on with life.

This. With regard to the first para I see the goings on in my old country village of origin and really get sad of the same old names and inclusive content being rattled out day after day.

I was born and raised in a small remote village in Sussex and moved to London in 2000. Luckily for me I live in an outer borough near to a forest and easy access to Herts & Essex, which is great for biking and greenery. Whilst Mrs Kryton and I were 2 professionals with no kids we really enjoyed the sights, sounds and convenience. Now with kids I supplement some of my friends “countryside” bias by taking the kids out of town, visiting loads of places. I remember my summer holidays being endless days of playing in the street finding something to do, whereas my kids are off to science museums, farms, forests, Insects Worlds and so on – it’s just a different kind of education. Also having built a life here – which can be much more expensive to fund than outside – and being able to buy a house i think if nothing goes wrong we are set up with a nest egg for a future moved out of town when we are ready. Both Mrs K and I do talk about being somewhere quieter, but usually only when there’s an incident in the street (two Turkish blokes having an animated conversation outside our open bedroom window at 1am last night). Also, on a street by street basis there is an implied community spirit and everyone seems to help each other out when it’s needed.

On the negative side the “closeness” and tolerance of others activities, differences and attitudes with regard to that can grate, but my view is that when you shut your front door/gate you leave all that outside. London just takes a little more day to day tolerance but if you role with it, it can be a fantastic place to be. If you want to surge against the tide you’ll be Michael Douglas in Falling Down almost on a daily basis.

lardy
    Free Member

15 years here.

Im 41. Been in London with and without kids.

From the country (west) where the riding was different (better) but there were limited jobs, travel time was huge for jobs which were available, there was no escaping people knowing your business, parochial attitude to most things, racism, homophobia blah blah blah.

Essentially I couldn’t wait to leave.

In London now and love the availability of things to do. Even visiting other towns and cities in the UK reminds me of how well off (and lucky)for things to do we are. Bands. Easy. Sport. Easy (50m pool, skateparks blah blah). Restaraunts. Anything. literally, within 30 minutes. Travel. 10 min taxi to the airport (city) and off to wherever you go. Work. Able to work on construction projects which I wouldn’t be able to do most places in the UK (crossrail / Shard / Canary / Gherkin / Thames tideway blah blah). Don’t have to travel for work, just a 40 min pootle in and out of town with views and excitement the whole way (it is REALLY polluted though). Loads of things for the kids to do. Pretty much as safe as anywhere else in the UK. Kids play out in the street all the time. Good community spirit in the local area. Decent schools very locally. I could go on.

I love to go out to the country and understand why people want to live there however its not for me.

What entertains me is the attitude of some to London and those who live there. Why they are so bothered I don’t know, just get on with your own lives.

Whilst we are on the subject though. Mark Riley on 6 music and “Salford media city”? cracks me up every time I hear it as if it weren’t for the BBC forcing people up to Manchester it would never be there. As for being a media city? I think we all know where that is……

hora
    Free Member

Lived there for 17 years. Really enjoyed it. Live somewhere else now. Wouldn’t be too sad if an awesome job was offered to me in London and I had to move back but wouldn’t be too sad if I never lived there again.

Sounds like me but only yesterday I was thinking how much I miss Camden Town and Primrose Hill 🙁

I think you have to be wired a certain way to like London. You could be born there and leave/not like it but after just a few hours in London it all clicks/everything feels comforting/normal. Nice. I love how you can get lost in a sea of strangers from all corners of the world, see acts of nastiness/rudeness yet also politness and people who will help- all mixed in together.

I like how how the people around you may be strangers but the place/the buildings all feel familiar/comforting in a way that a street in Manchester never ever could.

You can head off down one road/off one tubestop and spend a whole night there- not needing to go anywhere else. Or you can roam and have a crazy memorable evening.

Theres commuting on the tube of course but hey.

lardy
    Free Member

Having had the experience Id say living in London is like walking a rowdy dog. The more you yank the lead the worse it will get. So just go with the flow.

binners

Whilst we are on the subject though. Mark Riley on 6 music and “Salford media city”? cracks me up every time I hear it as if it weren’t for the BBC forcing people up to Manchester it would never be there. As for being a media city? I think we all know where that is……

And its exactly that kind of arrogance that means the rest of the country tends to regard London as being populated almost exclusively by ****s!!!

Yes, its the capital city. But its not the centre of the whole ****ing universe. Take economic policy in this country. Its being made to almost exclusively benefit London, to the total exclusion of ‘the provinces’. We’re all being hung out to dry so that our great Metropolis continues to benefit, and effectively be subsidised by the rest of the country.

It does make me laugh that Londoners accuse others of being parochial. Its the most parochial place in the whole bloody country. Politics, the media, the arts, everything, is so self-absorbed, inward-looking and insular, with little or no interest in anything going on outside its own ego-fuelled epicentre, – and in some cases the kind of patronising, condescending contempt shown above – its laughable

Its basically a hypocrital self-aggrandising twatopolis

MrSmith
    Free Member

sand in the your vaj.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you missed out jerk circle there Binners 😉

My mate, works in media, works there and when my child was born and i mean 3 days old. He asked me about moving to get good schools, I am relevead to not have to live in a world liek that tbh

I dont like crowds much either

It has got tons of culture in terms of museums, art and other such things as they seem to put all the best stuff there.
    Other than that I could live with never going there but i dont hate it or feel the need to draw a crude caricature of those who do live there whilst explaining how awesome the north is.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Its basically a hypocrital self-aggrandising twatopolis

^ that can be said of the quaintest sleepy Country villages can’t it. Any village with a Round Table or WI or Landowner Gentry will be far more politically/socially biased than London. Just so happens the multiples work in London’s favour.
    I went through Stoke Newington last night, I have a route up the canal from Shiney Town towards Walthamstow Wetlands (top of Lea Valley CP), and turned left into town again (I normally turn right). Never been there before, never seen so many Jewish folks in one place before either. Bit rough around the edges mind, but that’s what the outerskirts of Town’s like innit.

Thats the thing see, never been up there in all the time I’ve been here riding the City, and what looks like a thriving Jewish community that I never knew existed.

hora
    Free Member

and what looks like a thriving Jewish community that I never knew existed.

When they saw you did they try shelling you and any schools nearby?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Does going to Heathrow airport count? Quite happy in my sheltered Pembrokeshire village..
    Don’t understand why people live in cities..

MrsToast
    Free Member

I’ve been there a few times for gigs, shows, industry events, once during my A Levels to visit the galleries and once for a WoW guild meet up. Nice place to visit, wouldn’t want to live there. I found New York to be more impressive, but London’s admittedly more convenient. Plus it smells less than Paris! 😛

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I go there now and then to remind myself why I shouldn’t go there.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Oh, apart from the time I went to the Iron a Maiden Clive Burr charity gig, which was next to the Thames. Only time I’ve been to a gig where inside smelled better than outside!

Sonor
    Free Member

It does make me laugh that Londoners accuse others of being parochial. Its the most parochial place in the whole bloody country. Politics, the media, the arts, everything, is so self-absorbed, inward-looking and insular, with little or no interest in anything going on outside its own ego-fuelled epicentre, – and in some cases the kind of patronising, condescending contempt shown above – its laughable

😆

You sound like a jilted lover.

Northwind

binners – Member

Yes, its the capital city. But its not the centre of the whole ****ing universe. Take economic policy in this country. Its being made to almost exclusively benefit London, to the total exclusion of ‘the provinces’. We’re all being hung out to dry so that our great Metropolis continues to benefit, and effectively be subsidised by the rest of the country.

…and then you hear “But we have to give London the best of everything, at the expense of everwhere else, because London is where everyone wants to go!” As if one doesn’t lead to the other.

Moving the beeb’s the perfect example, yes you need to artificially create reasons to relocate an organisation like that but that’s not because London’s just naturally better- it’s because it already has a load of artificial reasons to go there.

I love London but it’s a bloodsucker of a city, and it’s managed to convince its victims that they should be grateful to be bitten.

brakes
    Free Member

I went through Stoke Newington last night…. so many Jewish folks in one place before either. Bit rough around the edges mind, but that’s what the outerskirts of Town’s like innit.

that’s Stamford Hill – well known for its Hasidic Jews. If you see any Toyota Previas round there, best steer clear – driving standards are questionable.

binners

Toyota’s? If Prestwich is anything to go by, I thought Volvo estates were compulsory for Hasidic Jews? But, yes, driving standards are indeed questionable life-threateningly terrifying! As can be noted from all the dings and scrapes all over said Volvo Estates

kilo

Never been there before, never seen so many Jewish folks in one place before either. Bit rough around the edges mind, but that’s what the outerskirts of Town’s like innit.
    Thats the thing see, never been up there in all the time I’ve been here riding the City, and what looks like a thriving Jewish community that I never knew existed.

It’s a very large community to the extent there is a large Eruv in north london. used to work in that neck of the woods a lot as you head a little north you get to the Turkish heartland of London, great food and handy for proper industrial sized consignments of smack.

Losidan
    Free Member

I generally have to go every four to six weeks for the day ot overnighter.

I am underwhelmed by the massive hustle and bustle. I live out of town but even leeds being the closest big city I avoid.I just dont like it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s a very large community to the extent there is a large Eruv in north london. used to work in that neck of the woods a lot as you head a little north you get to the Turkish heartland of London, great food and handy for proper industrial sized consignments of smack.

😆

I did see a fair number of Turkish folks standing outside restaurants on the road bellowing down thier mobiles, that was funny.

Thing is, see it’s only up the road. That’s the mad bit about it. The canal I use frequently, has loads of gravel sections, way quieter than Regents Canal (which is mental busy in anything nearing rush hour) and when you hit Walth’ the wetlands have some wide open expanses of gravel tracks/sustrans routes/open parkland which you can segment yourself on or just pootle.

So, will I go back? I might start to rideout a bit up there as part of a loop to do some discovery yes. I’ll keep an eye out for Toyota Privas, what about shagged out M3’s with matt black paint and blacked out windows?? Or Merc AMG E classes in shiney black with chrome bits dangling off them???

8)

benji
    Free Member

Been approximately five times in my life, was offered a job there straight from university on good wages, turned it down, hate the place. I like my fresh air and fields too much.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I go a few times a year, usually for work which I hate with a passion as it’s usually a day sat in ridiculous traffic (my work involves kit that isn’t transportable by one man on the tube) with people being rude, everything costing a lot and hotels that cost a reasonable amount of money being utterly revolting. That and the terror of going out to get food at night and feeling like you’re going to be stabbed.

I felt like a wimp once in Croydon for going from the hotel door to the hotel car park, driving to the supermarket to buy a sandwich for tea to eat in my room. The next day I met our drilling crew from Doncaster who had driven 300 yards down the road to buy tea and eat it in the van for fear of being attacked.

I get that it might be a bit of a laugh if you’re young but I can’t see why you would want to pay five or six times over the odds for rent when you could live in a much nicer house in a place that’ll offer everything you need on a smaller scale pretty much anywhere else in the country.

hora
    Free Member

Aaaahhhhh the Orthodox Jewish beatiful women of Prestwich. How many times I’ve ridden/driven through there and stared at those beauts 😀

MrSmith
    Free Member

the terror of going out to get food at night and feeling like you’re going to be stabbed

oh you poor thing 😥

brakes
    Free Member

even Croydon’s not THAT bad.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i wouldn’t want to live there but i can’t comprehend anyone who can’t find something to enjoy there. They must be so devoid of fun.

lardy
    Free Member

Hold on.

Salford media city? Wasn’t the artificial reason for having the BBC hq in London because that is where the majority of international media in the uk are based? Not really that artificial a reason. Lets see how much of the media industry are attracted up North….. If its so good, why is the pull of the movement of the beeb required.

Also. When companies wish to set up European hq’s and choose to do it in London, I imagine the will of those senior staff going there will form part of the decision? Possibly the availability of qualified staff too?

Ho hum. Another day in the capital.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Salford media city? Wasn’t the artificial reason for having the BBC hq in London because that is where the majority of international media in the uk are based? Not really that artificial a reason. Lets see how much of the media industry are attracted up North….. If its so good, why is the pull of the movement of the beeb required.

T.V/film production is based in west London, it’s where all the studios/prop houses/set builders/costumiers/podt production houses are, while radio and soaps/sport can easily be done in manchester there is zero pull north for those people/companies
    all national news production has to have a big presence in London for obvious reasons supplemented by regional offices.
    i would imagine the move north was to free up some valuable land/buildings and drop a lot of london weighting. there will be no other media shift to Manchester.

bikebouy
    Free Member

brakes – Member
    even Croydon’s not THAT bad.

“cough”, is not serious riiiight? 😆

Well I have been to Croydon once, the train from London Bridge to Kingswood broke down there and I had to hope over the platform to get another..

Scared me shitless it did 😆

there will be no other media shift to Manchester.

There was a rumour that Susanna Reid left the Beeb to ITV and back to London cos’ she hated Mad’chester..

CountZero

Try Los Angeles. The LA Times daily paper is about the size of the Times, Guardian, Independent, and Mail put together, with perhaps two pages of national and international news.
    And you’ll be lucky to find anything like the variety of food there, too.
    And as for travel around London, the Tube is bloody brilliant, crowded at times, sure, but just wait a few minutes for a less crowded train; I’ve let two go before now, but that only added ten minutes to the journey, and I’ve done Chippenham to Hammersmith King’s Mall car park in exactly an hour and thirty minutes, while it’s not unusual to take an hour to travel twenty five miles into Bristol, and even Bath can take nearly forty-fifty minutes, and that’s only twelve miles!
    I much prefer London to Bristol, although it’s much better gig-wise these days, compared to fifteen-twenty years or so ago.
    I am, BTW, now 60, and relish any opportunity to go to London, it’s no more smelly or polluted than any other busy city.
    Next trip up is on September 5, to see Kate Bush, with a couple of friends; should be a great day. 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

Been twice. Was visiting friends stayed at theirs, most toursity thing I did was visit the milenium dome. Otherwise just out on the piss in the town round about Camden market first then Covent garden I think’ canny really remember tbh. 2nd time down at a preseason friendly Celtic v QPR. Just got blootred as per.

Safe to say I haven’t seen the best of the city’ and its been about 12 years or so since me last visit. I would go again just haven’t came up with and excuse to go tbh, was rather head into mainland Europe if getting away.

I’m 36.

Houns

Been a few times. Like the nice areas around Richmond, could live there.

Felt much safer there than I did around Mankychester, that is one vile city/area

epicyclo

The real problem with places like London is you don’t have stuff like this a few hundred metres from your back door

(BTW there’s a bloody great Munro hidden by that rain cloud)

hora
    Free Member

No offence but everytime theres a London thread someone posts desolate wind-lashed moors (etc) as though riding 6hours a week living like a hermit makes up for it.

😆

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 196 total)

The topic ‘How many of you have been to London ?’ is closed to new replies.