Home Forums Bike Forum How many lights can you run from a dynamo hub?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How many lights can you run from a dynamo hub?
  • cookeaa

I have a basic dynamo hub setup on my commuter/winter road bike; a cheap no-name front Light and a similarly cheap AXA mudguard mounted light running off of a Nexus hub.
    All is good with this setup except when commuting I use a Vaude off road bag that mounts to the seat post using a Klick-fix type mounting, and I’d like to have a rack mount dynamo light fitted to this as well as it’s higher up and further back than anything else on the bike (when fitted)…

The trouble being the whole bag/support frame comes off so I’d need to splice in another cable and have some sort of quick connector (local to the seat post) to do this.
    The idea would be that in “commuter mode” I have both the rack and mudguard light for maximum visibility and in “weekend mode” just the guard mounted light and I can do away with charging a USB rear light to fit to my commuter bag…

So

1- can I run two rear lights off the one dynamo hub (ideally both stand lights)? and…

2-can one of them be hooked up via some sort of easy quick connector doodad?

Anyone?

MoreCashThanDash

Someone like SJS or Spa Cycles would be able to advise you in the unlikely event no one on here knows the answer.

scotroutes

My Dynamo light is a Revo. It has a port in the back where I plug in a Redeye. The plugs are available so I guess you could wire in any rear light with the correct load/resistance. The standlight capacitor is in the Revo so powers the rear light too.

Bez

I was about post my understanding as to the solution(s) you could implement, but as far as electricity goes I don’t really understand it and think it’s all some sort of dark magic, so I would just say it’s certainly been discussed a lot on the Cycling UK forum, and no doubt YACF and Candlepower as well. Lots of people on all of those have plenty of experience with this.

But to answer both of your questions: yes and yes, with slightly different implications when running in parallel vs series.

cookeaa

I’m not in Revo budget territory here 😉 this is likely to be bell wire and crimped spade connectors mostly, no posh proprietary Co-ax plugs and connectors…

I might message SJS about quick connector options, I was probably going to order their B&M top light as it’s going cheap at present (cheap is my main thing see)…

SJS have got a couple of things that look like contenders for a quick connection, the ‘Dyna-snap’ magnetic connectors look good but they’re certainly not cheap, Supernova QR Connectors are cheaper, but I don’t know how durable they’ll be longer term being plugged/unplugged twice a day…
    TBH I was hoping they’d have something available for a tenner or less that would be a bit less fiddly/painful to use than male-female spade connectors…

I might have to look a bit of a wider at other places, maybe automotive/industrial ‘Molex’ style connectors?

My other concern about essentially running three LED lights off a single hub, (it would be in parallel I think), I’ve not seen other people doing this, but I can’t imaging it’s an unusual want?
    It looks like I might have to browse some other forums…

Edit: here’s my answer: https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=50383 looks like I just need to tot up wattage, simples…

turboferret

On my commuter I have a Shimano dynamo running a Supernova E3 front light, and 2 rear lights one a 3 LED Supernova in the seatpost plus another single LED one on the rear mudguard. I do know that there wasn’t sufficient current available to power an action cam, but 3 lights aren’t a problem at all.

If you want a simple quick connection then I’ve used RC servo cables for Di2 hacking and lights with good success, something like this would do the job, although you would have to solder/crimp onto the wires with a bit of heat-shrink or the like

willyboy
    Free Member

Just found these. Any good?

Barrel connector

Male/ female connector

cookeaa

@turboferret

That’s all pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear… I doubt my lights are pulling as much power as yours would be, RC servo/LiPo connectors is an excellent call too, I had been looking at some bulkier connectors but RC jobs are cheaper and sensibly sized…

Thankyou!

turboferret

The fittings that @willyboy has suggested would probably be more fit for purpose if you’re looking to connect/disconnect regularly and it’ll be out in the open. Look like good value too, mine are all internal so don’t get much exposure to rain and only need to be unplugged when something goes horribly wrong, like my frame developing terminal cracks 😮

cookeaa

Ooooh, actually I did once make up a sort of inline ‘loom’ to convert a storage bottle, with a bulkhead grommet and inline connectors for an old P7 Bastid light/battery, I wonder if I could cannibalise that and/or it’s connectors…
    I Completely forgot, I’ve sort of done this exercise before…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How many lights can you run from a dynamo hub?’ is closed to new replies.