Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • How many beers to fit Crud Roadracer Mk2
  • scandal42
    Free Member

How many beers will I need to fit these guards, and how many beers will I actually be able to drink before losing my patience and going **** nuts.

Could be an interesting evening

Yak

Clearly you know the outcome. It would be far less stressful just to bung them on the classifieds now, then your evening is free to enjoy many beers.

will1
    Free Member

Waterproof shorts and bin the guards!!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Make sure you do it on dark gravel so when you inevitably drop the tiny nuts and screws you spend an absolute age scrabbling about uttering filthy murderous threats

ads678

I found them quite easy to fit, bit fiddly but nothing to sweary. Just take your time.

fingerbang
    Free Member

I just fitted the rear over the brake calliper to get the clearance over a 23cc tyre. And dispensed with the front altogether. Don’t need it

medoramas
    Free Member

It’s not so difficult really! I was very scared at first when a woman in the shop said: “be careful… there is a lot of parts inside…”…

But it didn’t take longer than 15 minutes total. The worst part of the job, which included a lot of proper swearing, was to position the bike with rear wheel removed on a cardboard box (so the chain did not touch the carpet), so I could fit the rear bast**d! 😆

fathomer

I’ve done two sets, I had to take a saw to the ones on the wifes bike but still pretty easy.

You’ll be fine!

scandal42
    Free Member

Make sure you do it on dark gravel so when you inevitably drop the tiny nuts and screws you spend an absolute age scrabbling about uttering filthy murderous threats

Like it, I’ll be sure to nip next door and use their drive 😀

Bring it on!

tomhoward

Use them to get store credit towards some SKS raceblace longs?

That’s what I did…

legend
    Free Member

It’s a trick question! After many beers you’ll believe that they’re fitted perfectly – the cold light of a hangover will tell you otherwise!

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

SKS Chromoplastics to fit tonight. pre-trials on Wednesday went well, but highlighted:

1. those v shaped braces pointing up at the rear wheel had me eternally paranoid about skewering my eye
    2. trying to get all those things lined up to test for fit would have challenged a man with 12 hands
    3. just because your bike has eyelets for guards and disc brakes, doesn’t mean the guards will fit easily.

beer definitely required, although it will be cooking lager as i wont be able to concentrate on the good stuff….

GregMay
    Free Member

Hateful things. Used to try my best to dissuade people from buying them in the shop.

brakes
    Free Member

3 beers and a toddler trying to help you.
    make sure you really wind them up by telling them they can’t help because they’re too little so they pick the bits up and throw them across the room.

simon_g

Watch the video, instructions in the box give very little idea of how it should all fit together.

Stanley knife is fine for cutting as it’s very thin stuff.

Prepare for them to rub forevermore once fitted.

bikemanspen
    Free Member

Watch the youtube vid it helps a lot!

Jamie
    Free Member

Piss easy to fit, and maintain.

Upgrade the beers, to vodka, and you’ll still be fine.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrB6DRk2cwE[/video]

cupra
    Free Member

Piss easy. Done three sets on various bikes and never had an issue. Also work brilliantly. If you offer single malt I’ll do them for you 🙂

sandwicheater

😳 Trying to start this job after too many beers results in a strop/roadracer thrown across room.

Next morning it was some one sooo much easier.

DT78
    Free Member

Mine didn’t fit 🙁

Scapegoat

Here’s a tip. Once you have them fitted as per the video, check them every time you ride by pulling up in the middle of the guard between the mounting points and let them settle back down. Buggering about with the adjuster nuts to stop them rubbing will drive you insane, but just twanging them before you ride settles them into the right place on the sliding adjusters.

Oh, and if you fit them over a fattish tyre like a Mavic Aksion 25mm, let a bit of air out of the front….the clearance must be measured in nanometers.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Top tip set them on fire. Hated them.

Haze

I struggled when I tried to fit them hungover, best crack on…

velocipede
    Free Member

You’re not going to like this sorry but I’m going to tell it anyway….

I went for a ride with a mate two weeks ago…we both had Crudracer 2’s on. 2 miles into a 45 mile ride, I looked round to see my mate wasn’t there, quickly backtracked and wham, there he was in the middle of the road in a pool of blood, face stoves in after hitting a dry stone wall at all of 15 mph. What brought him off? i’m sorry to say that it was the front guard….caught some debris on the road, scrunched up under the fork and threw him over the bars…..7 hours later, he left Hudds Royal having had many stitches to the face, CT scan and x rays – followed by 2 weeks off work!

Guess what…..?

I took mine off the next day!!!

**** it – I’ll just get wet!!!

Sorry…!

Jamie
    Free Member

Conversely, I used mine for 6000 miles, and never face planted a wall.

Also, on the plus side, he got 2 weeks off work.

bruceandlauren
    Free Member

Inspired by the forum, I decided to fit the Roadracer MKII to my road bike in anticipation of tomorrow mornings wet & rainy club run. 3 bottle of doombar and 1.5hrs later I had done faffing and cursing. dedided to add a dab of superglue to each plastic bolt to secure them for the winter and promptly stuck 2 of my right hand fingers together. Pulled apart losing some skin, and now rubbing with acetone. Which stings.

scandal42
    Free Member

I would like to thank everyone for their wonderfully inspiring stories, bot positive and negative.

I would like to think the wall cartwheel story is a one off so will still try and use the guards.

Disappointing news is that my night only consisted of beer, no guards 😀

Tomorrow morning, the duel will commence (with coffee and bacon)

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘How many beers to fit Crud Roadracer Mk2’ is closed to new replies.