• This topic has 940 replies, 109 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 941 total)
  • How long to be a credible Cat 4 or am I just crap (road content)
  • monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Icky!!

oldgit
    Free Member

Turned a failing road season around. Helped with a Pyrenean training trip and hanging onto the youngsters fast Sunday rides. CX off to a flying start. And lightest I’ve been for over 25 years. Whoopee here….sorry

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Think you misunderstand the general theme of the thread there oldgit 😀

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I gained a grand total of …. 0, yes that’s zero points as my first season being a 3rd cat.

In fairness, I didn’t race much and all but two of them were 234’s or 23’s. Still it a distinctly unimpressive season you’ve got to admit.

However: I got first place in a Gorrick 4hr SS race, and am doing ok so far in the cross season so actually I’m feeling just fine.

Road racing, well crits mainly, seem to be won by the sneaky sprinters who do nothing to make it an exhilarating race for us all on a Sunday morning then kipper us on the final 100m. Bollocks to that! Off-road, we all have to dig deep into the world of pain (and skill, praise the lord!)

Good thread.

Vive la dirt.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Tod be fair, there’s an awful lot of skill in sitting invisibly in the bunch until the final 100m.

Just ask Simon Gerrans.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I agree there is a lot of skill in it, but my god it’s boring for the rest of us.

molgrips
    Free Member

I might end up in London for work. Let me know if you guys are racing at Hillington.

will
    Free Member

Who’s still racing then?

Still two months to get those points!

Kryton57

Who’s still racing then?

Sitting at home sweating and shivering with a virus, MSG last round and Octoberfest cancelled 🙁

Its all about next year now, I may give Hillingdon winter series a bash if I can get 6 weeks of good riding in beforehand, more for a fitness indicator than the hope of any points.

mrblobby
    Free Member

No Brass Monkeys…?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Had my first “season” – in the loosest possible sense – this year, with the grand total of one club TT and one club hill climb. Not sure it counts in the context of this thread, but I achieved my lofty goals of not being last in either 🙂

Serious question though. I have NO IDEA how to pace myself in even the shortest of TTs. I’m not currently that fit but can churn out the miles, more so on the hilly stuff (where I get a downhill rest) than the flat. Earlier in the Summer I did some roller races and managed to do OK suggesting I have some power but anything more than a minute or so of effort and I’ve had it. I don’t really know where to start to build up the stamina when working harder, how much to back off etc. I don’t get that many opportunities to ride due to family and feel like the cobwebbed turbo is my first port of call if I want to be a bit more competitive next year (which I do).

Thoughts, or have I wondered into the wrong thread? 🙂

Sam

My first real moderately regular season of racing mostly road and track. Punctuated by bouts of injury and ennui it was nevertheless overall a success. Got 27 points all on the track, so seem to have avoided being upgraded to the 2s, which is a good thing as I’d be seriously out of my depth on the road there. Speaking of out of my depth – masters track worlds this week, gulp….

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Weather has turned, supposed to be racing on Sat, not sure if I’ve got the balls to be racing in the rain and I don’t like the cold either!!!

^ Somebody else will be along shortly to give you actual advice, I mainly just go out and thrash myself. Riding with other racers also helps. My power is best described as inadequate though…

Sam

Tortoise – yes, turbo is your best bet – do a 20 minute ftp test while measuring at least hr (if not power). That’s a good place to start TT pacing, then depending on distance, course and experience you will develp a better feel of it from there. Finding that sort of 90% (ish) level of going really hard but not absolutely ‘balls out explode in a ball of flames in a minute’ hard is critical.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Thanks Sam. I think I knew that was the answer and is at least something I can do whilst the kids are in bed and the wife is out.

I surprised myself at enjoying the couple of TTs I did, but felt a little disappointed finishing with plenty left in the tank.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I surprised myself at enjoying the couple of TTs I did, but felt a little disappointed finishing with plenty left in the tank.

Mostly experience! The more you do the better you’ll get. Power meters can be a handy short cut for race pacing when you are starting out, even more useful for training with though.

Turbos are a great bet if you can’t get out. Try and get out when you can though as road and turbo are very different efforts.

masters track worlds this week, gulp….

Sam, best of luck!

crazy-legs

There are 4 crit races at Lancaster (Salt Ayre circuit) throughout October so I might try one or two of them. First one is this Saturday which is also the Mills Hills CX Sportive. Wondering which to do although if the weather is bad, the easy answer is “neither of them”!

#fairweathercyclist

Kryton57

mrblobby – Member
    No Brass Monkeys…?

Yep, I’m in for the 4hrs.

will
    Free Member

Good luck with the track Sam. Never something i’ve fancied doing really. No doubt it works though. A friend has just gained his Elite license and puts alot of his form down to a winter of track racing.

Kryton – Surely Velopark winter series might be better? It’s a better circuit (imo)

Kryton57

Its closer yes, I can ride there in 20mins rather than take the car. But 100 Cat4’s per race on that circuit was a crashfest last year, having survived 4 races with crashes in and one at least at HH with Carbon and Garmins flying around my ears waiting for the bang, I don’t fancy that TBH.

Lol, I see on the BC page they’ve not indicated “places remaining” this year – possibly for that very reason…

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Well I finally returned to racing after my crash, did just enough to get the rest of the points I needed to retain my 2nd cat. I had a hard job bouncing back into racing, I’d spend the first 30mins – hour convincing myself to stay in the race, my positioning was awful – normally I’d ride near the front but since the crash I was in was at the front of the bunch, my brain has decided it is better to hang around at the back and no amount of talking to myself would convince me to move up, even though it was killing me sprinting out of the corners and no wheels to fall back through on climbs. My shoulder is still injured but confidence is coming back slooooowlly. TTs are looking a bit more appealing at the moment 😐

Managed to make the break in the first race I did, cramped or strained a muscle in the final 10mins, tried to recover sitting at the back of the break soft pedaling with one leg (not easy on a hilly course), managed to bring it round with about 400m to go which was too late for a downhill and tailwind sprint finish, hung on to take 6th trying to go for the sprint with one leg.

Raced again the day after it, got new 1 min, 5min and 20min power pbs racing with the men on a hilly course, got dropped, got back on, got dropped, got back on and repeat for 92kms with savage cross and headwinds, and it rained too. Took 4th woman and 24th overall as the sprint went from the final corner all uphill for almost 1km and I was totally spent. Bit disappointed, normally capable of a better result on that course but riding at the back just took too much out of me.

Raced again the following weekend with the men and the junior RR champs. Horrific race, the juniors were mega twitchy, lots of crashes, horse riders on the course causing one crash just in front of me. Not nice seeing a friend down and trying to miss him as I braked and steered into the grass. Then there was a running race on the same course, more crashes, more horses, more hills. Decided after the race to pack in racing for the season and focus on shoulder rehab as it hurts to climb.

Here’s to a better 2016!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

First Crit today, Salt Ayre 3/4. No idea where I finished (out the arse basically!) but I found myself on the grass about 4-5 corners from the finish which isn’t ideal! Saved it with my **** mad ninja skillz but had to chase back on and came round the last corner in a Bad AIDS style position. Such is life. Last lap was @ 30mph so got to be happy I didn’t end up on my arse!

adsh
    Free Member

I felt completely drained after Torq in your Sleep, did a low intensity week and decided I might as well break early with nothing to train for for the rest of the season. I’ve done my 4 weeks off to recharge and get my life back. Thing is I rather like having life back and am not exactly champing at the bit to ride.

Restarted this week with some Z2 and Z3 turbo work. Nice to do some exercise, also nice to do hour long sessions and still see the family.

Hopefully I’ll start feeling more competitive and selfish shortly………

karlwoof
    Free Member

So i’ve had a few weeks off the bike and getting back into it again, anyone else getting back on it again?

I’ve managed to find a new chaningang running all winter (behind old Airport in Sheffield Wednesday 6.30pm, if anyone is local) which should be good to build into the training and keep the legs turning over.

Kryton57

First local report – Cat 3’s in the 3/4 chasing Cat 3 taking all the points, multiple crashes.

Sigh. Not sure I’m aloud in here anymore, I’m 100% racing MTB this next year…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

enjoying my first season of CX racing (well, any racing) and mixing it with the guys who race from my local club who raced road this year I am seriously considering trying road racing next year.

This thread is useful for “managing expectations” 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Had a few weeks of riding without any plan. Was nice just having a bit of fun on the bike. Did a fair bit of xc which I’d not done in ages. Back on it now.

Going to have a crack at the 2hr Brass Monkeys rounds to keep things interesting over winter. Should be entertaining as I’ve not raced xc in a very long time. Expect a “what’s it all about” thread soon 🙂

I am seriously considering trying road racing next year.

Practice your sprint! Might have another go at it next year, feels a bit like unfinished business, though was a bit of a half arsed silly distraction this year (I blame this thread!)

Kryton57

feels a bit like unfinished business,

Me too. Can’t afford the replacement bike or injury list though. MTB is much safer… 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

You’re probably right! I think XC is building up to be my silly distraction this year 😕

TiRed

Quick note to say if you plan on racing at Hillingdon this winter, then you will need to be quick! The Imperial Winter Series is now open. These races fill up very fast. In fact the first race was sold out in less than two days!

I’m in for the E12/3 races and may ride the Cat 4 race as a rolling Com. There is a much better selection of ladies races too this season.

I raced three E123 National B races over the past three weeks. Dropped in all three (first was absolutely brutal). But I finished all of them and achieved 13th in GC (OK, out of 13, but progress on last year). Resting for November due to a wrist op next week. Then sprint training through the winter.

Kryton was that at Velopark? Most of the 3’s chasing points are close to second Cat by now. So racing will be VERY competitive in any 3/4 race.

EDIT: Just checked and the first two IWC 4th cat races are sold out, the third is almost sold out as well.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m about as unfit as I’ve been in the 15 years I’ve been riding properly I’d say! Officially a master next year, can’t decide whether to change (for those races that still have a masters race). Will be doing the 2 hour brass monkeys, or at least the first one, Bordon’s a lot of fun!

Kryton57

It was indeed Tired, indeed one of ours made Cat 2 in that race after starting as Cat 4 at the beginning of this year.

Njee your presence reminds me…

adsh
    Free Member

Enjoy your health while you have it. Had a month off then restarted. At the end of my first 3 week block suffered really bad heart arrhythmia (a missed beat every 3-5 beats). Something I’ve had for 20years but never exercised induced and never so bad.

ECG normal again but borderline low thyroid function which can be a contributory factor. Referred to cardiologist as a precaution but also signed off for Z2 training. Withdrawn from Brass Monkeys (which I had great plans for) but things seem to be settling with 3 days Z2 and back to normal.

TiRed

First Imperial Winter Series Race this afternoon. Fourths looked competitive. The E12/3 was hard. Windy. Very windy. Achieved a mid-pack sprint and my first Normalized Power of 301W.

Onto next week.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Series of Saturday morning races in Feb round an airfield at Abingdon coming up. Someone talk me out of it please!

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Get stuck in Blobby, there are a few locals already preentered (including a sertain shop owner who’s also a 4th cat so you have someone to scrap with) for the series, hopefully I’ll be at one or two!!!

mrblobby
    Free Member

I did notice he’s signed up. Assumed it was an admin error 😉

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

lol, see you there!

Hillingdon this weekend to get through first…

adsh
    Free Member

Local to me so I’m giving it a go. Don’t do club rides, haven’t ridden in a bunch and no race sense but I’ve good power and pointy elbows. CAAD10 and a Belkin top.

adsh
    Free Member

Only kidding, I thought about it for a nano second before I realised I’d need to do a few months of club riding etc and even then I like my limbs in one piece.

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 941 total)

The topic ‘How long to be a credible Cat 4 or am I just crap (road content)’ is closed to new replies.