Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • How interested in your job are you?
  • four
    Free Member

Those who are employed, rather than working for yourself / running a business.

If you are in a profession do you ‘keep up to speed’ etc outside of working hours with related stuff on your Face Book feed etc or do you tend to do you work thing at work or on CPD events and then the rest of the time you are doing your own thing? Or is your job your passion? I’m thinking Architects, Ecologists, Planners etc.

I’m just thinking of culling a lot of outside of work stuff on my FB etc and just worrying about it when I’m actually being paid.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’m a project manager in a architectural glass company and I want nothing to do with it when Friday ends. To tell the truth I want nothing to do with it when Monday starts either !

ton

i have no interest in my job at all.
    i go for 3 reasons.
    it pays well. it is easy. i can spend the whole day on the internet, like on here.

ads678

I’m a Civil Engineer. I used to be interested in it, but it now gets more tedious every day.

I’m gonna give it one more go at another company amd see if I can find some enthusiasm……

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep, I enjoy what I do and mostly it’s easy to keep up to date in what’s going on in the world. Work hasn’t been that 9-5 for me for a long time so it’s great.

mickmcd
    Free Member

dunno a certain le mans team are hiring

sadly by the 29th the year contract might be cut short to about 4 days

definitely not interested in jobs at the moment

Moe

Work in a bike shop, not all roses but on the whole a whole lot better than working for the Government! And definitely infinitely more interested!

Kuco

I work on behalf of the Government 🙂 Don’t mind my job and as soon as hometime comes I forget about it unless I’m on standby.

ibnchris

Love what I do now. Work for Nikwax so finally working in the outdoor industry.

Previously spent along stint in the city working for tech companies and spent every spare hour either replying to pointless emails or reading about tech. Which I realise now I wasn’t really interested in. A kind of Stockholm syndrome I guess!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My job is certainly as interestin/entertaining as my last one that’s for sure. Last one I was a prison officer & now I take disabled adults & kids to day centres & schools etc.
    This job is more interesting & a load safer!

Oh, & I’m on an annualised hours contract of 1020 hrs a year & well over the required hours already. Could be all of July & August off & still getting paid. 🙂

senorj

Not in the slightest. I read the s.o.p’s,smile and take the cash.

Bregante

Overall I still enjoy my job. It has it’s stressful, tiring and frustrating moments but I’ve never considered leaving which, after 23 years can’t be all bad. I was at a retirement do on Friday night and speaking to a few colleagues who were literally counting the days until retirement. I can actually leave in 5 years aged 55 (although i’d need to get at least a part time job to subsidise my pension at that point) but when I mentioned the possibility of stopping on a bit longer they couldn’t believe that I was serious.

I go to cpd events and have studied to pass promotion exams in my own time but having said all the above I still do very much consider it my job so definitely don’t talk shop or generally brush up on stuff in my own time.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Sometimes it’s interesting, usually when something goes wrong and I need to fix it. Day to day? Boring.

Doing/thinking about work stuff when I’m not at work? Good one! Free time is me time.

four
    Free Member

Interesting answers chaps.

I’m grateful for my job – it has loads of benefits.

Think I need to close down on it outside of working hours though as it’s not my passion.

treksuperfly
    Free Member

Im a mobile crane operator and really enjoy the job , i get to work at different places most days with different people lifting all sorts of things from large animals at chester zoo , trains at and about Snowdonia, boats and even people . Although i never know what time i’ll be home some days by lunch time other midnight but couldn’t imagine doing something else.

OwenP

Yeah I enjoy my job as an ecologist (as you mentioned that one!) and specifically retrained from the engineering side of the environmental sector because I wanted to work in something I found more interesting.

Things is, it is my job, so sometimes I don’t enjoy it as much depending on the usual stuff like who I’m working with, or a particular project. I think that’s normal for any full time job.

On top of that, there’s bits I enjoy more than others and will happily do in my spare time (for example, I climb trees with ropes and harness to survey bat roosts and I enjoy the physical challenge and collecting/working with all my kit). Other stuff, like keeping up to date with case law from European Court judgements etc, well, that’s just work work!

Overall though, yeah I find it worthwhile and can have some really good days at work, plus it’s very varied which I really need to keep me interested over a long time. Do I need to restrict my work thinking to work hours only? I think I could, but I don’t find the work stuff I follow to be “intrusive” into my time off, but it’s more like reading around my work area in most cases rather than anything more structured.

Drac

Yup great job still has it downs but I get paid to drive around Northumberland a lot of the time.

Shred
    Free Member

I enjoy my job, and the industry I’m in.
    I do keep up to date, and think about things often, but it Is not an issue for me.

Finding the right company to work for can be tough though, but I’m pretty comfortable.

Daffy

Love my job, but on average I try to keep it to 45 hours and 4 days. The rest of the time is my own. I keep the phone on me and check my email on Fridays (I’m off, but contactable) and in Sundays in the afternoon.

I do have peak periods where it can be as much as 80 hours per week for a few weeks or months, but it’s part of what I do and I accept that.

Kryton57

I’ll qualify mine by saying I’m a bit cranky after Mrs K was in a&e with Jnr last night, nobody slept well before 3am.  Thankfully he’s fine.

Anyway, – National Sales Tier 1 customers – when I’m in the thick of deals, working a sale and the adrenaline running I love it.  When I’m sitting here typing on STW and I see managers emails firing into my inbox I start to loathe it.   I won’t answer them, but “work” is in my head now, and also gets there via the ironing of shirts, polishing of shoes etc on a Sunday.

it just grated on me the constant reminders of hard time ahead being the ruination of the present.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m lucky.

Every day I get to experience the gut wrenching drama of human conflict through Quantity Surveying.

Preparing to do battle…

The thrill of Victory!…

The agony of defeat…

kimbers

Absolutely love my job- cancer research lab, it’s hard & frustrating, hours can be crap, salary is crap, but every day is fascinating.

I don’t really do any social media with it tho, I save that for fun stuff & politics

jam-bo

About 25hrs a week interested.

Unfortunately I have a 37hr a week contract.

jam-bo

When I’m sitting here typing on STW and I see managers emails firing into my inbox I start to loathe it. I won’t answer them, but “work” is in my head now

So why do you even see them outside of work hours? Turn off all notifications, look when you want too.

wiggles
    Free Member

Only when I worked in a bike shop and then a bike suspension place…since then been boring shit I don’t care about but have (slightly)more money…

chakaping
    Free Member

I consider myself very lucky to have a new job that I’m genuinely interested in (health and wellbeing) and which has allowed me to have real influence on the direction of the business.

The social media, podcasts and articles I already followed are still relevant and I am still happy to spend some of my spare time on these.

baboonz
    Free Member

I do like it, I am lucky to work in R&D. In fact if I won the lottery, I’d try to do the same thing that I do, but in a different location. I tend to stick to my hours-which is something that my workplace encourages.

I continuously try to work on increasing my efficiency, especially on the e-mails and meetings department, since that’s where I reckon a lot of the fat could be trimmed off.

The only thing I dislike is H&S requirements, why wouldn´t they just take my word when I tell them that everything is going to be okay and that their multimillion pound equipment will also be okay…

dirkpitt74

Building Services Consultant – used to enjoy it but no I really despise it with a passion.
    The construction industry doesn’t seem to have moved on in 25 years in some aspects – still making the same mistakes, blame culture and stupid questions.
    I only go because of the money and I’m half decent at it.
    I do zero work related stuff outside of work – don’t think I have anything on my FB or Insta etc. thats work related – I even gave up with Linked In.

longdog
    Free Member

Outdoor access officer in the far north. It has it’s moments, but I love my job. Much of my leisure time relates to it in one way or another and sometimes work and leisure do merge. Occasionally I have to say to people contact me at work, but depends on the situation at the time.

scaredypants

As jobs go, I find mine quite interesting. I’d be gone in an instant if I won the lottery (particularly unlikely unless I’m sleep-buying) but otherwise it’s OK. Used to be keener, now have pretty much zero interest in my “career” – didn’t bother to apply for a more senior position recently as I just CBA with it all (may turn out to have been a mistake but, as I said to my outgoing and very capable “boss”, if it all goes tits up in the next year I can quit with a clear conscience rather than being the poor bastard at the top, responsible for keeping it going)

I actually think I would keep reading some related stuff even from my private island in the Caribbean but it’d be particularly nice not to have to write a document and plead for common-sense approaches to it in some platitude-ridden bullshit NHS meeting/email thread in the following few weeks

samuelr
    Free Member

I love my job (fixing xray machines (no not the ones you find in hospitals)) but I make a concious decision to not involve it out of my contracted hours. To me work/life balance is important. I enjoy my weeknights an weekends. If a job took priority over my personal life I would quit. No amount of money is worth my life.

chewkw
    Free Member

How interested in your job are you?

I don’t like or dislike my job but it pays the bills.

But if I can work somewhere else or start my own business that can pay me well, I would be off in an instant.

slowoldman

I’m a Civil Engineer. I used to be interested in it, but it now gets more tedious every day.

I’m an ex Chartered Civil Engineer. I loved designing stuff – blank sheet of paper and a problem to solve. I got totally pissed off with contract administration and documentation and left to do other things. I can’t say I’m totally engrossed in what I do now but at least I have retirement to look forward to in 4 whole weeks.

LMT
    Free Member

I used to enjoy my job, I don’t anymore…I work in a supermarket, management job. I’ve just had long term sick, returned 3 weeks ago and have struggled to get back into a routine. Shift patterns can be 4am starts or midnight finishes which can be great if the weathers good, can be a bit depressing when it’s raining all day and your knackered at 2pm having done 3 on the bounce 4am starts. Was on late till midnight Saturday collecting trollies in the dark as the lad had called in sick thinking to myself is it worth it anymore….

Last 4 years I’ve had to change jobs and go through redundancy process, I should of left, this year it’s not me for a change but my team so it going to be another difficult year possibly losing half my staff.

I really need to get out and do something different but I have no idea what, mid 40’s useless degree, have good admin management skills, fairly good at people stuff and work place health and safety, need to sort myself out this year!

kilo

Am now in a “political” role in law enforcement after many years of operational and intelligence work in the same. Quite like it at the moment. I’m now at a level where I won’t be out on the ground anymore and after this its managment of teams or retirement and tbh I don’t miss most of that.
    Its been a bit of a change in mindset,I have to wear smart clothes and all that shizzle, but I’m quite enjoying it and it’s opening a few doors. My real world experience also seems to be valued which is a pleasant surprise and I do quite a bit of informal mentoring, both on work matters and not making a balls up of life in general which I like.

Also having been comprehensively and utterly mentally screwed up in my last operational role it’s working well for me on a number of other levels and I don’t take it home with me now.

dove1

I can’t stand my job. I work for a company that claims it wants to give everyone any chance to get up the ladder or work in different roles but in reality you have no chance unless you are ex-military or in the right clique.
    Management pay lip service to procedures, requirements and progress and most of the time I just feel like I am wasting my time.
    I work my contracted hours plus a bit of unavoidable overtime and don’t give it a second thought once I drive out of the site.
    However, it’s close to home and the pay is good so I stay.

craig24
    Free Member

I work in IT support, I find it pretty boring and have realised after 10 years that I have no interest in it. Also I don’t keep up on any tech out side of work. I kind of fell into it as I didn’t know what I wanted to do, I still don’t.

Seems to be the same as plenty of other people. I was always of the mindset that its called work for a reason and if I loved being there then why would someone pay me.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

My interest goes as far as watching the money land in my account each month. Beyond that, nada.

matt_outandabout

My job is fascinating and challenging. I’m busy. Few resources. Low pay relative to responsibility. But I get to make a difference. It’s a lovely group of colleagues. A fleet of foot and entrepreneurial organisation.

Sadly they won’t pay me enough or create the next role/title to for me, so it’s time to leave.

tonyg2003

I’m definitely in the “love my job” camp. I have colleagues in the US and Asia Pacific so definitely not a 37.5hrs a week job. My contract hours are “as required to perform in the role”.

Just to add the nerdy love the job thing. I have some research alerts set up for things that I’m interested in that send the reports out on the weekend so that I have the time to get the journals and read the papers on the weekend….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘How interested in your job are you?’ is closed to new replies.