Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 137 total)
  • How hard is it to learn computer programming ?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Depends what you mean by ‘best’ doesn’t it?

DaRC_L

wwaswas +1
    the best programmers think in machine code and have the social skills of a wolverine.

So learning to program is easy, learning to be a programmer is hard / a matter of aptitude; not everyone is cut out to be one.

“I like the way clients not knowing what they really want is a recurring theme”
    Yeah, I guess that’s true.
    I think I know what I want, but I’m sure that if I got it, it wouldn’t be quite right.
    I suppose the easiest way would be for me to say I want something exactly the same as BikeJournal, plus I want it to do X, Y and Z as well.

molgrips
    Free Member

the best programmers think in machine code and have the social skills of a wolverine.

No, the best ones are brilliant coders and also great pragmatists, mediators and visionaries. Like me 🙂

nbt

Analysts talk to clients, programmers talk to analysts. I wouldn’t ever let a good programmer near a client

GrahamA
    Free Member

So learning to program is easy, learning to be a programmer is hard / a matter of aptitude; not everyone is cut out to be one.

Learning to program is easy but being a good programmer and learning to program well is very hard.

Some people have what it takes and others don’t, but I think that this is the same in every profession.

vinnyeh

Analysts talk to clients, programmers talk to analysts. I wouldn’t ever let a good programmer near a client

🙄

Full of the cliches this thread, isn’t it.

molgrips
    Free Member

What if I’m a good analyst and a good programmer?

jimmy

What if I’m a good analyst and a good programmer?

Und zwar auf deutsch?!

molgrips
    Free Member

Germany, yes although I’m wasted here (and not in a good way) 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I wouldn’t ever let a good programmer near a client

in fact we should be shunned by normal mortals! One’s aptitude for programming is more or less inversely proportional to sociability…

molgrips
    Free Member

I wouldn’t let BARNES near my clients!

allthepies
    Free Member

Tosh. You don’t work with very good* programmers then 🙂

* as in life skills as well as techy goodness

john_drummer
    Free Member

never heard of a good Analyst/Programmer?

nbt

never heard of a good Analyst/Programmer?

I was being kind of tongue in cheek 😉

but no, I found that really good programmers tend to have poor social skills. I can write code, and I can talk to clients, but I wouldn’t count myself as being good at either – just ok.

john_drummer
    Free Member

What the customer really wanted:

How Marketing proposed it:

How the analyst designed it:

How the programmer wrote it:

what the beta testers received:

How the Business Consultant described it:

What Operations installed:

How it performed under load:

When it was delivered:

What the customer REALLY wanted:

The Disaster Recovery plan:

molgrips
    Free Member

but no, I found that really good programmers tend to have poor social skills

Then I don’t consider them really good programmers in general. The days of pizza munching late night geeks in a dark room are dwindling, to be honest.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Then I don’t consider them really good programmers in general

programming skill is actually completely unconnected to social skill. I’m sure you could be totally autustic and still a good programmer, however in general terms, the sort of attention to mindless detail required tends to be associated with arrogance and introversion. Extrovert types probably wouldn’t have the patience needed.

molgrips
    Free Member

The thing is, programming is rarely an isolated activity. You need to get along with your colleagues for a start and be able to join in design discussions. The decisions you make in those discussions usually are related to the end product in terms of either product requirements, SLAs, undocumented requirements, usability, business process and project constraints as well as purely academic code issues, and they have to be appropriate bearing these things in mind.

Many geeks can only see the code issues, and this can make life difficult.

DaRC_L

You need to get along with your colleagues for a start and be able to join in design discussions.

And how many business users can contribute to design discussions on whether we need to split the database into several LPARs over several servers, queue naming standards etc….
    Business users tend to concetrate on what they can see to be delivered rather than (sometimes) what is important to be delivered from a maintainability perspective. In that respect good architects / analysts can communicate at a business level.
    Good programmers can evolve into good solutioners / designers it’s not necessary though. The best programmers (still) strike fear into the business community due to an excess of honesty.

molgrips
    Free Member

Business users don’t contribute to design, that’s not what I am saying. Developers contribute to things that determine how satisfied the customer ends up being.

Maybe there are projects out there where each development task is amazinly well specified in detail and simply needs implementing – but then you wouldn’t need a good developer for that, would you?

Seems that the days of having to write difficult code are mostly gone. In my experience ‘hard’ complicated code is the bad stuff. The good stuff is where it’s been kept simple and to the point.

Good programming is good design, and good design depends on interacting with analysts and customers (either directly or by proxy) in a useful way.

Honesty is a separate issue mind 🙂

DaRC_L

Maybe there are projects out there where each development task is amazinly well specified in detail

🙄 😆 the 4GL fantasy

Seems that the days of having to write difficult code are mostly gone.

well no it depends upon what business problem you’re solving. The problem with plug’n’play is that most of the app’s you plug in won’t play with each other. This requires good old basic programming skills of problem solving at a machine level.

wwaswas

The best programmers (still) strike fear into the business community due to an excess of honesty

+1

I’ve had people working for me that I’d never trust to talk to customer without a translater present.

Prog “It can’t be done.”
    Translation “Well, we could do that for you but it would be a change to the system and chargeable, woudl you like a quote?”
    etc etc.

mogrim

Many geeks can only see the code issues, and this can make life difficult.

All too true – but it’s something you can compensate for. Speaking as a project manager the ideal team has decent (and presentable) analysts, a couple of hardcore geeks, and a whole load of plodders.

Analysts tend to come from the second group, you need patience to put up with clients 🙂

Pembo
    Free Member

The fundamental problem to all these project issues is that not enough people actually understand how computers work.

molgrips
    Free Member

Prog “It can’t be done.”
    Translation “Well, we could do that for you but it would be a change to the system and chargeable, woudl you like a quote?”

Or in real terms:

Dave the dev: It can’t be done
    Pete the PM: Oh no worries, we’ll have it for you next week. Give us tons of money. Get cracking Dave.

DaRC_L

Pembo as I explain to the kids it’s magic:

“the art of producing a desired effect or result through the use of incantation or various other techniques that presumably assure human control of supernatural agencies or the forces of nature.”

And programmers are just wizards

molgrips
    Free Member

The fundamental problem to all these project issues is that not enough people actually understand how computers work

Yes, or more to the point, people don’t understand what constitutes a good computer system.

Imagine if IT projects were Civil Engineering projects. You’d end up with a dangerous unstable building with rooms all over the place, you could only get in through a series of challenges and few people would know where anything was outside their own office. It’d last for 5 years then either fall down or have to be pulled down. Anyone walking into the building woudl be able to see that, especially the customer, and the architects and builder would be prosecuted.

With computer systems, you can produce and deliver total crap that will either a) need to be replaced after a few years or b) cost millions in maintenence and the customers just think that’s how IT is.

Terrible state of affairs 🙁

wwaswas

not enough people actually understand how computers work.

from Dilbert;

Dilbert: “It’s beige and it uses electricity”
    Salesman: “Whoa, slow down information overload”

It’s like maths – there’s some sort of reverse psychology that makes people proud to have a limited understanding of technology.

Even what I thought were quite ‘techie’ people were expressign incredulity that the Egyptian government could just ‘switch off’ the internet during the recent troubles there.

I found out recently that the whole country of Burma has one 1.5Mbit connection to the rest of the world in place and some bloke sat there 24/7 with a switch in case anyone does soemthing the regime doesn’t like.

DaRC_L

I found out recently that the whole country of Burma has one 1.5Mbit connection to the rest of the world in place and some bloke sat there 24/7 with a switch in case anyone does soemthing the regime doesn’t like

This isn’t an episode of Lost is it?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The fundamental problem to all these project issues is that not enough people actually understand how computers work.

actually, it’s the perception amongst some that this is the case which is fundamental! You can drive a car or ride a bike without any idea of how it works, and the same should apply to a computer. Needless to say, this may require cleverer programming than anyone has achieved yet, but you can’t blame that on the users. The tragedy is when programmers expect ordinary people to comply with their implementational models.

molgrips
    Free Member

Knowing how computers work is indeed irrelevant. Customers need to understand software systems a bit though. You don’t need to know how a car works to drive one, but it helps if you know what they can and can’t do, what they might cost, what might go wrong, what it’s likely to look like and what you have to do to keep it working when you walk into a dealership.

mogrim

Knowing how computers work is indeed irrelevant. Customers need to understand software systems a bit though. You don’t need to know how a car works to drive one, but it helps if you know what they can and can’t do, what they might cost, what might go wrong, what it’s likely to look like and what you have to do to keep it working when you walk into a dealership

More to the point, I’d expect the person signing off the development costs of the car to know a fair amount about what it’s capable of, and what his/her customers really want – something you don’t always see in software development.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well yes, exactly – given that millions of pounds are often at stake, half the time it’s hundreds of millions of pounds of public money.

I seriously could save billions upon billions for the govt. But I bet no-one would listen to me.

nbt

I seriously could save billions upon billions for the govt. But I bet no-one would listen to me.

I know one STW user is quite a senior figure in the field f getting value for money. Not going to name him but will point him at your claim and see if he fancies getting in touch. I can believe what you say though, we do work for govt depts and the waste is shocking :S

roady_tony
    Free Member

hmmm so many interesting view points of Analysts Programmers, i’ve been one for 15 years, and to be honest never wanted to move from the role,
    its quite a perfect role i think,
    you get involved in specs, designs, influence the user a bit
    they you actually do some real coding
    and you usually see the user use it, and of course make a number of changes. 😉

That classic pic above of the Tree and the Swing is one i refered to in much earlier post – after 15 years, still makes me LOL 🙂

for the knowledgeable of you out there,
    ive been using C and lots of 3gl stuff and 4gl stuff for years, how easy or what direction should i go into so i can get into the .NET stuff???? with no previous ‘Visual’ experience before should i do a Course? but a book and cd tutorial, or what most people do, lie on the CV and interview, and then cut and paste code from the previous developer you replaced 🙂 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol 🙂

The country needs a central IT department, basically. I’ve written the exact same code twice for two different areas of govt. In a system that did much the same thing.

No way on EARTH would a multinational company work the way our govt does.

As for forum users, I’ve often mused upon the fact that some of us could be anyone. Movie stars, royalty, famous scientists, politicians.. 🙂

mogrim

No way on EARTH would a multinational company work the way our govt does.

Not worked with many multinationals, then?

molgrips
    Free Member

Best bet for learning .net would be to get hold of a copy of the studio for it and knock some programs out. Then put ‘experience of .net’ on your CV, and you’ll DEFINITELY get calls (I do constantly despite being a Java dev). Then just find someone who’ll listen to you as you make your case for how good you are. Show some projects, talk the talk and you’ll have a chance.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not worked with many multinationals, then?

Yes, not worked with Govt much then? 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘How hard is it to learn computer programming ?’ is closed to new replies.