Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • How do you watch films these days?
  • PrinceJohn

Having recently gone through the entire MCU with my partner it struck me how many of the films you could purchase to keep from online sources (ie play store, sky, itunes, amazon etc) but how few you could rent.
    I ended up downloading the ones I didn’t have on disc or couldn’t rent online.

So do you only watch what is on Netflix/amazon etc.. purchase movies on disc or purchase movies online to keep, or rent?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sky Movies, watch when they come on for free unless it’s something I really want to watch sooner, then I’ll wait until it’s rentable.

Same with iTunes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Limitless pass for the cinema
    Netflix/Prime for most stuff
    Now TV Cinema pass for better value with films, occasional rental from Google

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Same as I’ve always done …. with my minced pies.

😛

footflaps

Mainly download as a torrent and watch on an iMac (we don’t have a TV). Some we watch on Amazon Prime / Netflix, but their selection is a bit rubbish.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve got Prime via work and Netflix I pay for.

You can rent most things from iTunes and I do occasionally.

I will admit I torrent more than I rent, it’s easier and I can get films in 4K which I can’t via iTunes.

fasthaggis

Netflix and terrestrial.
    I love going to the cinema,some films only work on big screen.
    I also still buy DVDs of films I like.

Beagleboy

Exactly the same as FastHaggis

PrinceJohn

I will admit I torrent more than I rent, it’s easier and I can get films in 4K which I can’t via iTunes.

This is part of the problem for me – I am happy renting where I can – however if I rent through iTunes, I am unable to watch it on my TV, so no point.

DezB
    Free Member

Cinema. Those 5 quid seats are the best thing to happen in years. Well done whoever decided they had to compete with people’s tellys. Even with the morons who can’t shut up or switch their phones off, you still can’t beat seeing a film on the big screen.

Few torrents via Plex/Chromecast (about 3 or 4 a year probably)

and Netflix.

ton

ip box. either sky movies or pages and pages of other film channels.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

TeaTV app. Chromecast built in.

Revert to paying at Google Play if TeaTV can’t find a decent, non-buffering version not recorded on someone’s mobile at the cinema or without Korean subtitles.

toby1

Streamed via fire stick or chromecast (so Netflix and Google play). Really can’t be bothered with torrents and tracking them done, did it for a while before streaming really got going.

doomanic

Who’s doing £5 cinema tickets?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So given how easy it is to get exactly what you want legally, is piracy just people being tight these days?

DezB
    Free Member

is piracy just people being tight these days?

Tight, or maybe skint (from going to the cinema too much 😉 , but sometimes it’s the only option when you want to see something NOW!
    Last film I dl’ed (American Animals), I haven’t even watch yet. It’s on iTunes, but I don’t think I can stream to my TV from iTunes.

xora

DVD/Bluray

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://play.google.com/store/movies/details/American_Animals?id=3hxblXqCBQ8&hl=en_US
    So it’s not quite out yet? If Itunes is so shit then swap for something that actually works.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/American-Animals-DVD-Evan-Peters/dp/B07H4TQBV9
    And yes not released on streaming/dvd etc until 19th Jan.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Netflix, Prime, going to the cinema with mates if it is something I really want to see. Often splitting the cost of the BluRay with mates when it gets released and rip it to my HD.
    Not seen Predator or Venom, (released this week) so they’ll be on my Xmas watch list.

fossy

Prime & Netflix and occasional torrents

w00dster

It may be easy to get the films you want legally but the cost adds up. I used to stream to a Kodi box, quality was decent enough but I’ve gone back to being fully legit.
    Netflix for the kids, generally works well as has a decent amount of trash that they watch. Sky Movies for me and the wife, kids also get to watch sky but thats on the “family” TV, there’s only so many times I can watch films about Princes and Mermaids.
    I try and avoid renting, but some months I will. Just rented The Equaliser 2 and missus loves Denzel so was worth it. I might rent The Meg tomorrow night, be a good night in, bottle of wine, some popcorn and Jason Statham fighting a huge shark, sounds good to me!

PrinceJohn

So given how easy it is to get exactly what you want legally, is piracy just people being tight these days?

This is kind of what I was wondering – of the MCU films, I could buy most of them online (at a cost of £14.00 for infinity war in HD) so that & could rent Ant-Man & Wasp for £4.49 (also HD) Given Ant-Man & Wasp is currently the only one available to rent, the cost would soon add up if I bought them all.
    This seems to me like the movie industry shooting itself in the foot again. If they were available to rent for a smaller price, say £2.00 each I would’ve rented all the ones that I didn’t have.

fasthaggis

Even with the morons who can’t shut up or switch their phones off

Dez You need to find an Art house cinema venue .Almost everyone at ours shutsTFU right from the start of the film,no phones or eating the contents of a small shop.Makes it a totally different experience ,I only go to the big multi screens for the full on action blockbuster films. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.nowtv.com/gb/watch/thor-the-dark-world-2013/bdcd32276d793610VgnVCM1000000b43150a____
    Now TV Sky Cinema free trial would get you a lot of those Marvel Ones, there is a bit of pick and choose the source going on – I was offered Sky Cinema & Sports for a month on a cheap deal last week.

DezB
    Free Member

Dez You need to find an Art house cinema venue

Yep, we’ve got a couple, and they’re great – but it’s the blockbusters.. hard to get a 16yo into arthouse stuff 🙂
    Biggest film I had ruined this year was A Quiet Place… went to a late night showing and there was (unfortunately) a disabled person in there making random loud noises all the way through. I mean, of all the films… but what can you do?!

ourmaninthenorth

Hardly ever.

We have an 8 yo who is a night owl and won’t go to sleep at a sensible time in the evenings, so non-kids films are out.

And if we ask if she wants to watch a family film at the weekend she refuses. Same for taking her to the cinema.

So we end up recording films from Sky (broadband too slow for any sort of streaming/downloading) and never watching them….

P-Jay
    Free Member

I can only speak for myself, but that’s certainly part of it.

It’s a really bad excuse, but a lot of films are pretty terrible these days, I think they always had been, but back in the day when you went to the Shop to rent a tape/disc for £4 or whatever you’d jolly well watch the sucker even if it was shit, now with virtually limitless options if I get a wiff a film is a stinker, I’ll turn it off after 20 mins. £4.5 is a bit of a gamble for a tight arse like me.

Films I’m really desperate to watch, I can get sooner via nefarious ways, and I’m not talking about some terrible Handicam footage or some grainy ‘HD’ copy with Korean subs or anything – most stuff is available 2/3 weeks before it is on iTunes et al in perfect, or near perfect HD for a sub 2GB download, that’s about 5 mins at home for me. 4k stuff is a little rarer, but with a bit of work it’s down the pipe and in my external HDD in the back of the telly in about half an hour. You can’t even get most of them unless you want to order the 4K disc from Amazon and wait a few days.

I think the ‘Industry’ knows they’re in trouble with home viewers, physical media sales are down and downloads are too, eventually it’ll all be via subscription streaming, but at the moment the studios don’t want to work with Prime or Netflix, they want their own service, but does the public want a disney sub, a universal sub, etc etc.

It’ll work itself out, I used to torrent music too, but since Apple music I don’t, if I had to wait 2 years to stream a song and then hope they didn’t drop it after 3 months I still would.

footflaps

is piracy just people being tight these days?

In my case no, e.g. I used to pirate all my music but since Spotify I can’t recall pirating any music.

If I could access movies in the same manner I’d happily pay, just I can’t. The whole streaming thing is so fragmented / limited and the output formats are too restrictive. Torrenting gives me the best user experience independent of cost, which is why I do it.

In some cases I torrent stuff which I could watch on Netflix, just so I don’t have to worry about the internet crapping out on Sunday evening when everyone else uses it and Virgin grinds to a halt in our street (although not done that for a while now).

PrinceJohn

The whole streaming thing is so fragmented / limited and the output formats are too restrictive. Torrenting gives me the best user experience independent of cost, which is why I do it.

The industry never seems to realise that people are lazy. They will always seek out the easiest option.
    However – as Spotify isn’t actually profitable, I suspect the movie route won’t go down this way, & we’ll end up with Amazon, Netflix & maybe Disney streaming services.
    http://fortune.com/2018/05/03/spotify-earnings/

TiRed

itunes and netflix on the projector. Cinema one a month or so.

No superheroes and no children’s book adaptations is my rule. Serves me well.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

On aeroplanes mostly. 😕

Failing that, DVDs when they’re going cheap, or TV.

mushrooms
    Free Member

This is list is updated fairly frequently, it is mostly rubbish though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fullmoviesonyoutube/

footflaps

I suspect the movie route won’t go down this way, & we’ll end up with Amazon, Netflix & maybe Disney streaming services.

It’s going in the other direction e.g. Disney pulling content off Netflix so it can launch it’s own streaming service….

timmys

Increasingly buying from iTunes as the value is pretty impressive, eg. this weeks splurge;

Every Bond film in 4K at £2.99 each

But also Netflix occasionally, Amazon very very occasionally, cinema maybe twice a year, and torrents when other methods fail.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Nextflix, prime, and the ocassional dodgy stream/torret. Very rarely I’ll buy something from Google or curzon home cinema. I’ll go to the pictures now and then, few time a year. The new recliners at the odeons these days are great!

tomhoward

Unlimited cinema pass, sky movies and Itunes for me. Can’t remember the last time I bought a DVD (10 years?)

timbog160

Prime, cinema and occasionally terrestrial still. Watch plenty of short programmes on tablet but prefer telly for a film.

Is it just me or does anyone else still feel a frisson when a film you love unexpectedly pops up on terrestrial? I happened to tune in to Ice Cold in Alex the other day – seen it dozens of times and have the dvd but still sat and watched, and thoroughly enjoyed it!

wallop

Who’s doing £5 cinema tickets?

I watched The Greatest Showman in Darlington for £4.99.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Sky Movies or Netflix, takes me quite a few nights to get through a film now. Used to be able to sit through a couple a night but now-a-days I can’t seem to watch anything film length without getting distracted unless it’s absolutely amazing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘How do you watch films these days?’ is closed to new replies.