Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 314 total)
  • How do you solve the Sur-On problem?
  • downhiller

And you have got a full A2 motorbike licence, right? Because an unrestricted Sur-ron has a power to weight ratio greater than 0.1kw/kg so can only be ridden with an A2 licence.

Not yet.  But I do have 5 acres of woods here to play in until I take a test.  There’s some debate of what sort of test is necessary.  The bike (Talaria Sting R) claims to have 8kW, but that’s peak – it’s continuous power is only 4kW (and I imagine that’s the number that’s important, not the “marketing number”).

Certainly gov.uk says

Electric motorcycles
    You can use an electric motorcycle [for your test] or moped if it both:

has the same engine power as the petrol version
    can keep that power for at least 30 minutes

This is known as the ‘continuous power rating’ – you can check this with the manufacturer.

So who knows 🤷‍♂️  Be nice to not have L-plates and not have to re-take a CBT every 2 years, anyway.

Presumably then it’ll be registered and have a  numberplate. You’d best not be riding it on any bridleways then, just stick to roads and BOATs and you’ll be golden. That is the plan yeah?

Aye, that’s the plan.  Lots of decent greenlanes/BOATs around here (and our woods).

richmars

Are they legal from a type approval viewpoint? Surly there’s a load of requirements that motorbikes have to meet, in the same way that cars have to.

mick_r

Small volume motorbikes can just go through the individual vehicle approval process. I know one manufacturer that has an IVA inspection bay on the premises (but it is locked up and functions as a totally stand alone and independently audited operation). I presume the same can be done for electric bikes. Not sure how much requirement there is in this for approved components – e.g. tyres and brakes etc already have approvals.

goldfish24

0.1kw/kg, so 134 bhp/tonne. Blimey!!!

tthew

Fair play downhiller, I’m convinced. 👍

doomanic

At least they’re honest about what it is;

onewheelgood

0.1kw/kg, so 134 bhp/tonne. Blimey!!!

As opposed to the 2000bhp/tonne of a modern sports bike. Bit less with your average lardy rider on board, but it’s not surprising they need some fairly sophisticated electronics to give you a chance of controlling them.

A Sur-ron claims 7kw and 45 kg so just over 200bhp/tonne.

doomanic

On a scaled down MX track I bet it would be awesome fun, at somewhere like Staunton it’d just be an accident waiting to happen.

bails

Downhiller: what insurance have you got? Do you mean third party liability insurance or insurance for you if it gets stolen?

matt_outandabout

And that power is of course the attraction – they are motorbikes.

But as the post from downhiller shows, the rules are seriously complex. How is a police officer on the street, or buyer of a bike, is meant to know all this though?

onewheelgood

I was wrong about the A2 licence requirement – I had incorrectly assumed that electric bikes had the same power to weight ratio requirements as ICE bikes. But licences for electric bikes are rated purely on power regardless of weight, and up to 11kw only requires A1. 11-35kw needs A2, and above 35kw an unrestricted class A licence. There is also a moped equivalent category, L1e, which must have a maximum speed of 28mph. Surron sell one of these, but it’s easy to derestrict and can then do 47mph.

Decent explainer here https://begin-motorcycling.co.uk/electric-motorcycle-law-uk/

bobbyspangles

still ridden by gits whatever the power

zerocool

The one we have on my parent’s farm is definitely a little electric moto and that’s how it feels. Definitely not an ebike, it doesn’t have pedals and has a throttle. My mum prefers it because it’s pretty much silent compared to the quads and scramblers we had as kids (although she still disapproves of motos) until we broke either then or ourselves trying to recreate the Kristy Demons of Dirt videos.

villageidiotdan
    Free Member

The naming piece is a challenge, I have an uncool version of this, and by that I mean a vespa type scooter that’s electric. I tend to call it an electric moped to avoid people thinking I’m 1. on an e-scooter 2. In any way cool. 🙂

A bit off topic but absolutely love it, tops out at 50mph, 45 mile range. Got rid of my car and don’t miss it at all.

The dealer I initially went to had the night before just had 5 of the sur-ons nicked from his yard. He said they’re used alot of the time to evade the po-po after commiting crimes and drug deals.

I’d agree with the general consensus: cut off the supply, only sold if theyre registered/ road legal. I can’t see a positive reason to have one that an ebike doesn’t deliver

fossy

Most riders of Sur-ron type bikes know they are illegal, given they all have balaclavas in the height of summer. Not exactly in-conspicuous, especially when you see a lad on foot run across the road in the village, and there is another on a bike a few hundred yards away. They know the police can’t do anything.

We had one ‘lovely caring lad’ (who had been previously convicted of being part of a “take away” owner’s manslaughter when they knicked his car and ran him over) get splatted recently. He robbed ‘the wrong lads’ bike from another village. Said ‘victim’ jumped in his car, tracked him down, gave chase, and ran him off the road and killed him.  This lot just don’t care. There were ‘riots’ locally because of it.

binners

Coming back from last nights Monday Night Pub Ride at about 10.30 last night and a gang of about 15 scrotes on Sur-Rons came battering down off the hills. They scared the living ****ing shit out of me! Riding home down a usually empty bridleway at that time, the last thing you’re expecting is to suddenly be surrounded by 15 nobheads in balaclavas on silent motor bikes, blatting past you at 30mph+ 😳

So it looks like we’re now going to be sharing the local trails with them

Oh joy! Something to look forward to

RustyNissanPrairie

Coming back from last nights Monday Night Pub Ride at about 10.30 last night and a gang of about 15 scrotes on Sur-Rons came battering down off the hills. They scared the living ****ing shit out of me! Riding home down a usually empty bridleway at that time, the last thing you’re expecting is to suddenly be surrounded by 15 nobheads in balaclavas on silent motor bikes, blatting past you at 30mph+ 😳

@binners

They came from Rawtenstall way – I was out with doggo and they blasted past me, headlights, no tailights (obviously!), heading towards Ramsbottom direction.

I’ve seen the odd scroat – there was one I had a run in with up Robins Hoods Well/Whitehorse descent, and saw two in Eden field the other day but last night was a full on big group of them.

binners

@RustyNissanPrairie – I’ve seen the odd couple around too, but nothing like last night. They came off the Moor Bottom Road from that direction, then headed down the Rake, so must have come up Robin Hoods Well direction.

I hope its not the sign of things to come, but suspect it will be. The crossers have already destroyed all the trails over the other side of the valley and its clear that the police can’t do anything about it (where would they even start?).

It was a pretty scary experience suddenly having 15 Sur-Rons all around you and they clearly all found it hilarious that they’d nearly given me a heart attack.

downhiller

As opposed to the 2000bhp/tonne of a modern sports bike.

More like 1000bhp/tonne surely?  An R1 is ~200bhp and ~200kg, no?

A Sur-ron claims 7kw and 45 kg so just over 200bhp/tonne.

That’s bad maths right there, that’d be 156bhp/tonne.  Also I believe the weight claim is optimistic – certainly it’s known that the Talarias are built a bit sturdier, but mine is somewhere in the 63-72kg range (seen a variety of numbers, won’t know until I actually weigh it).  Also worth noting that the Sur-ron’s 7kW and the Talaria’s 8kW are both PEAK power, not continuous.  As to what that means in the real world, I don’t know.

Downhiller: what insurance have you got? Do you mean third party liability insurance or insurance for you if it gets stolen?

None yet, but the quote I got was TP road insurance, as opposed to fully comp or TP+F&T.

There is also a moped equivalent category, L1e, which must have a maximum speed of 28mph. Surron sell one of these, but it’s easy to derestrict and can then do 47mph.

ALL Sur-Rons and Talaria’s come set to 28mph.  Well, the L1E/road legal versions anyway, but I think the off-road ones maybe do as well?  And they all come with a little loop of wire which its known if snipped will derestrict them.  They know they have to do it, but they know no-one wants to be limited, so they make the bypass simple (whilst undocumented, officially, of course).

still ridden by gits whatever the power

Most of them, for sure.

So it looks like we’re now going to be sharing the local trails with them

That does NOT sound pleasant.  But aye, I can’t see the problem going away I’m afraid.  Mandatory conscription, I think that’s what the yoofs need 😁

Such a nice bunch

https://www.facebook.com/whatshappeningaberdeen/videos/%EF%B8%8F%EF%B8%8F%EF%B8%8F/817384489892970/

😮

I hope its not the sign of things to come, but suspect it will be. The crossers have already destroyed all the trails over the other side of the valley and its clear that the police can’t do anything about it (where would they even start?).

Sadly, I think it is.  And whilst I certainly won’t be acting like the ones you’re all describing, **** me do they look a lot of fun.  Count me in.  Glad I’ve bought one before they’re banned 😁

I’m also VERY glad I live in a part of the country where I’ve never seen one!  Relatively low population and relatively low income.  God bless North Wales.

onewheelgood

More like 1000bhp/tonne surely? An R1 is ~200bhp and ~200kg, no?

How embarrassing. Of course you are right. Getting my 1000kg in a tonne/2240lbs in a ton mixed up. Clearly getting senile.

squirrelking
    Free Member

@villageidiotdan is that a Seat Mò/Silence S01?

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Couple of young lads with mandatory balaclavas zooming around the kids playground at our local park tonight. It’s effing ridiculous that the police aren’t all over this. It’s 500m from their station yet I’ve never seen one in the park.</p>

hatter

Report them every time you see them.

Spoke to my own local constabulary regarding the matter a few weeks back and working out the patterns of when and where these scrotes are out and about is very helpful for them.

Plus the more reports they get the more likely they are to dedicate scarce resources to it.

supernova
    dissonance

The Government are going to buying them, not banning them:

The military do buy lots of banned things though.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Government are going to buying them, not banning them:

What tyres for armed combat?

Should have Aggressors instead of the DHF in the pic.

villageidiotdan
    Free Member

@squirrelking, sorry for the slow reply.  No, my budget didn’t stretch even to the Silence range.

It’s a Lexmoto (well, they’re the importer, Lveng are the manfacturer) LX06 (https://www.lexmoto.com/models/LX06MAX-E5).  Bought for £3k last year as it was the best value option, price has been bouncing around either side of that since so I suspect they haven’t sold many.

Overall very happy with it taking the rough (that in the lower half of the battery the top speed tops out at nearer 40mph) with the smooth (that the range isn’t effected in winter as much as an EV, maybe 5%).   To be fair I don’t go far nowadays – 5 miles to golf, 10 miles to tennis, 15 miles to work.  The biggest negative is I don’t readily consider riding to golf/tennis now as it’s so quick/easy/fun on the moped

squirrelking
    Free Member

Good to know, even if it’s not the same it’s still useful info. Half considering something that can get me over the hill in winter to another station but also conscious that they’re rather easily stolen. A silence S01+ would theoretically work on motorway at 60 all the way to the office but that’s another level of risk.

Gah…

fossy

You know this lot are totally different – MX bike riders, vs sur-rons, you know which ones are ‘shady’.

I was out last month on the road bike down some really small back roads in North Wales (pushing it a bit for 25c) and I could hear a load of MX bikes coming up the hill. I stopped and waited, and all waved thanks.  About 10 miles later, I’m returning from my loop and we cross paths again, waves exchanged !

Gary_C

@binners & @RustyNissanPrairie There’s a SurRon riding scrote from Accrington way, he has a Instagram page & posts videos, usually of a big group of them at night, riding on road in Accy & off road around Hameldon Hill area, plus a couple of weeks ago up Darwen Moors.

Possibly that lot that you encountered?

hatter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-66335974

And, with grim inevitability….

Looks like a 7 year old has been killed by 14 year old boy riding a motorbike around illegally.

Poor wee thing, thoughts go out to her family.

scotroutes

“We have still to recover the motorbike involved and I know someone out there in the local community knows where the bike is.”
    The force said it was looking for a blue and black road bike after the collision on Turnstone Road, in the Bloxwich area, but was yet to determine the exact make and model.

Awful, but, as regards this thread, is there any suggestion it wasn’t a petrol fueled motorbike?

RustyNissanPrairie

3 ninja scroats on Surrons in Ramsbottom Nuttal Park last night. Reported via Crimestoppers.

hatter

I think this thread had moved beyond just Sur Ron’s and onto ‘illegal dirt bikes being used by scrotes’ as many of the issues overlap, same laws being broken etc.

Regardless of how the bike was powered, the tragedy is the same.

cookeaa

The seasonal Petrol powered Scrotes are now back out our way now as well as the Sur-Rons, twatting down all the local paths.

I wouldn’t mind if our local police took that Birmingham incident as a timely prompt to crack down on them whatever the fuel source they’re bloody dangerous.

Very tragic, and somewhat telling that the bike involved has magically vanished…

“I would urge anyone with any information, however large or small, to make contact with us,” said the officer.

“This is not about protecting people, this is about doing the right thing,” he added, urging the local community to “come together” and work with him.

Any Community that still needs prompting to “do the right thing” a day after the event clearly has some issues.

dissonance

You know this lot are totally different – MX bike riders, vs sur-rons, you know which ones are ‘shady’.

I do wonder if the MX bikers are getting lower insurance now as in the past the shady ones would have been on nicked mx bikes.

sobriety
    Free Member

The biggest give away on either type of motorbike is the lack of crash helmets and number plates, if they’ve got both they’re most likely absolutely fine, or at least smart enough to not want to draw unwanted attention to themselves.

danposs86

Was at a coaching training day last weekend, two young (13ish at a guess) kids went past us on a single Sur-On, one with tinted goggles, the other in a balaclava (both dressed in black), headed straight towards our parked cars and an open shipping container (used for storage and on this day, hiding from the rain between riding). One memebr of the group followed them and asked if he could help them (as they were riding between our parked cars), one replied with “Just looking to see what you have” before the other one chimmed in with “Cheers” before riding off.

Charming.

cookeaa

An interesting read (from 2018)

But while society has seen fit to fund a bit of “Roadman research” so we can really understand their apparently complex motivations and desires. The little **** are still out there doing whatever the **** they like…

I feel like the time for tolerance and understanding of this particular subset of disenfranchised youth is long past.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 314 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM