Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 314 total)
  • How do you solve the Sur-On problem?
  • hatter

The biggest give away on either type of motorbike is the lack of crash helmets and number plates,

Yup, this is the key distinction and what marks out mostly law abiding riders.

I’ve seen almost zero antisocial riding from any E or petrol MX bike with legal plates.

Speeder

Few of them around Cheltenham too – saw a couple of lads 2 up on an electric crosser in the middle of the pedestrian bit of town a few days ago – same M.O. as above, all in black with balaclavas and glasses. Have seen similar up Leckhampton though fortunately not on the trails.

I wonder if the electric silence has enabled this? They’re quite, stealthy and being largely unlicensed, easy to nick and virtually untraceable. There’s no way your average balaclava wearing rider could get near owning one legitimately. You’d almost say aren’t on the spot arrests on the cards but no doubt there’d be civil liberties repercussions and that’s if there were even the resources available.

sobriety
    Free Member

Electric bikes being quiet is certainly part of it, part of it is probably also that the barrier to entry in terms of both maintenance (2 strokes need oil and at least some tlc to prevent them eating themselves) and skill required to not get spat off of it are far lower with electric bikes.

singletrackmind

And you have to be 16 to legally buy petrol. They actually mystery shop petrol stations in Hampshire tp try to stop selling fuel to 14 year olds.
    Its a shame that neds have jumped on EMX bikes as their latest way to be anti social ad they actually represent a fantastic transport solution.
    Tied into a pv cell and charger they are quiet, take up little room on the road, fast enough to keep up with traffic flow, light so less road wear, burm zero funny el while stopped at rail crossing barriers, need no engine oil or 2 stroke, and if solar charged incredibly cheap commutes are possible

theotherjonv

You’d almost say aren’t on the spot arrests on the cards but no doubt there’d be civil liberties repercussions and that’s if there were even the resources available.

and with no identifying plates, as soon as they see police they’re off with no regard for other traffic, pedestrians, one-way streets and no through road barriers leading to the Cardiff type situations.

I can’t see a solution beyond controlling the source and look how well that works for other contraband industries.

MoreCashThanDash

Definitely been more regular sightings of the Police MXers around the area where the helmetless hoodlums tend to play, not sure how successful they are

tjmoore

matt_outandabout

^ once again, police using incorrect terms and thereby causing possible issues with law abiding eBike riders.

They are electric motorbikes and need to be referred to as such.

Seeing this so often in the press and it rubs off in local social media groups with plenty calling for “e-bikes” to be banned. Trying to explain the difference between an electric motorbike and a pedal assist E-bike is a struggle. They just see them as all the same thing. Now they see an pedal E-bike in the trails, bridleways and such and they shout they’re illegal, which obviously they’re not.

binners

Just seen a scrote, all in black, no helmet, balaclava (it seems its now a uniform), on a Sur-ron (no number plate, obvs) on the back wheel, at speed, all the way down the busy main street, while theres a street market on and pedestrians everywhere.

They really don’t give a flying ****. And why would they when theres zero chance of them getting caught

fasgadh
    Free Member

I have been lectured to twice about the damage done by “you people on motorbikes” whilst on a bike without any form of motor – once I was on the Galaxy.  The other also objected to the big tyres on a fat bike as they cut up the path even more.

They walk amongst us.

twistedpencil

I do have some empathy for the guys who make a living riding them, but they are a nightmare to share cycling infrastructure with.

I reckon GMP could get 20 in 5minutes on Oxford Road in Manchester.  They have the occasional clamp down, but I don’t think they’ve confiscated any yet, just handed out fines.

chakaping
    Free Member

I reckon GMP could get 20 in 5minutes on Oxford Road in Manchester. They have the occasional clamp down, but I don’t think they’ve confiscated any yet, just handed out fines.

Imagine the backlash from everyone who had their Deliveroo order held up.

How do you solve the Sur-On problem?

Have we had ‘kneecapping’ as a suggestion yet?

Extreme, but effective. All those in favour say ‘aye’.

zilog6128

Interestingly I saw a paid advert from a police force yesterday on FB (can’t remember which one!) outlining the difference between legal and illegal e-bikes, reminding people they need plates/insurance etc for the latter and promising to seize vehicles from those they found breaking the law.

martinhutch

Maybe we should symbolically burn a Sur-On in Cardiff City Centre.

Trailseeker
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not Cardiff but

Is this a legit Ebike or a home made jobby?

Stealth Bomber

Like a cheap Sur-ron, big frame mounted battery and a huge rear hub motor.

RustyNissanPrairie

^ with a symbolic crank and chain for the “look officer it’s a pedal bike” get out of jail free card.

chakaping
    Free Member

Is this a legit Ebike or a home made jobby?

If Mad Max was doing Deliveroo on the side.

matt_outandabout

And here is the problem – that burned bike you can import direct from China:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265080730365

ratherbeintobago

@Trailseeker ‘Jobby’ is indeed the word for that.

(As an aside this is a prime example of why you should run any proposed trademark through urbandictionary before using it)

fossy

Buzzed by one last night whilst cycling home, rider with balaclava, pillion shouting in my ear. I’ll shove you in the fence next time.

lovewookie

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/scottish-news/23761215.motorcyclist-no-licence-helmet-stopped-glasgow-police/

hold on, motorcyclist, no insurance, licence or helmet.

seems the glasgow police are doing something…

Although this single incident seems to be news worthy.

grahamt1980

Saw 2 on our night ride last night.  Balaclavas on and no helmets so am assuming they will delete themselves in due course

longdog
    Free Member

I saw three wheeling through Arbroath the other night. First time I’ve actually seen them in the flesh. Funnily enough yoofs with caps and buffs over their faces.

hatter

The issue is they may delete someone else in the process.

seems the Glasgow police are doing something…

Idiot stopped, bike seized (and hopefully crushed), clearly saying it’s an electric motorcycle and not an ‘E-bike’ good work all round.

IdleJon

Has anyone ever spotted a SurRon being ridden sensibly?

fossy

Don’t be daft.

hatter

Me neither, but to be fair I don’t live near an MX track or on large farm or private estate, which are the legitimate use cases for these bikes.

flicker
    Free Member

Most pay to play off-road/ motocross centres don’t want them anywhere near them either.

martymac

Regularly see sur rons being ridden round Aberdeen city centre.

had one come up the right hand side of me on a 40mph DC, and actually swerved towards me.

i was driving a 20 ton bus, so **** knows what he was hoping to achieve.

onewheelgood

I was working on some fencing with the Wildlife Trust volunteers yesterday and one came hammering down the lane flat out, rider head to foot in black ‘tactical’ clothing, balaclava and black wrap around shades. I don’t think he was just out for a leisure ride. One of the other volunteers asked “if we all know what they are doing, why don’t the police?”.

sparksmcguff

<p>Just seen the Aberdeen “crew” follow a police van down Union Street. Hard to see what the police can do without some significant resources. At the same time it’s probably quite a small number of the little what’s it’s that are a problem, get them off the road problem sorted?</p>

fossy

If one of these little darlings get knocked off, they were lovely young lads, salt of the earth, does his gran’s shopping everyday (whilst on the drugs run).

lovewookie

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Has anyone ever spotted a SurRon being ridden sensibly?</span>

Most riding along the canal path next to me are ok. Slow right down, and are generally aware of other users.

Couple of ****, but on the whole ok.

However, I think it’s the ex mx bikers with new toys, not scrotes. The mx lads were just really loud, now they’re not.

jamiemcf
    MoreCashThanDash

The ones riding across the Rutland cricket pitch in Ilkeston last week weren’t bothered about hiding their identity, even when I was filming them with my phone.

Weirdly, I can’t find how/where I can report and upload the clip to the safer neighbourhood team, so I gave up.

argee

Round our way there’s a few, usual balaclava and so on, messing about on the roads at night, you can almost see how it’ll end, police aren’t that interested, they upload videos of wheelies and so on down the main streets, folk complain, there’ll be an incident of someone doing something daft and it’ll be all too late to sort it.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Spoke to a guy who works ina mx shop that sells them. Said it’s pretty much been scalleys in track suits payment in cash buying them. But don’t prejudge they are nice boys.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Said it’s pretty much been scalleys in track suits payment in cash buying them

I used to know someone who sold quad bikes. 20% were farmers, the rest drug dealers

These bikes cost the same or less than an ebike and have way better performance and quality. Why would any sensible person by an ebike ? Simple solution is to reduce ebike cost to more reasonable values

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 314 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.