Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 314 total)
  • How do you solve the Sur-On problem?
  • zippykona

Surely these things will receive no maintenance and die, those ones left running will be nicked by a fellow scumbag then set on fire.

RustyNissanPrairie

Surely these things will receive no maintenance and die, those ones left running will be nicked by a fellow scumbag then set on fire.

you’d think the same about combustion powered ‘crossers that need considerable maintenance but scroates are still ragging the shit out of moorlands/Lee Quarry etc on them.

matt_outandabout

While I’m sympathetic to the theft, correct me if I’m wrong but this bike isn’t an Ebike, and shouldn’t have been on the Holmebroom trail.

Police should prosecute, no?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-61269306.amp

jameso

That BBC article tells you a lot about the public’s likely perception of Surrons, E-MTB FS bikes and anything ridden by someone in a full face lid.

Dashcam footage is being sought after a cyclist’s electric bike was stolen by a group of men.

Derbyshire Police said the theft happened on the Holmebrook Valley Trail in Chesterfield on Wednesday night.

The cyclist, who was in his 20s, told officers he was approached by the group near the junction of Monkey Park and Chester Street at about 22:30 BST.

They stole the
    Sur-Ron pedal assisted e-bike

and left in the direction of Chester Street.

I may be wrong but thought Surrons are all pegs not pedals. E-MX or EPAC – all the same to the public. I mean, who has time to look up the Type Classification of EPACs that are legal on bridleways like a bike anyway?

jameso

Interesting how Surron are describing these e-MXs as ‘e-bikes’ on their instagram site. They call them ‘electric motorbikes’ under the product images but there’s plenty of of mention of bikes and e-bikes.

By Integration, Design, or Performance, Sur-Ron E Bikes set new standards in all areas

‘E-Bike’ is a general term. An EPAC is road legal and can be used anywhere a trad pedal bike can be used. Outside of that you’re covered by moped/motorbike rules. Grey area, lack of clarity in general?

Given how clear a company such as Pure Electric has to be on e-scooter legality and descriptions and continual use of disclaimers or legal notices in their marketing of e-scooters it made me wonder about Surron’s marketing. I couldn’t find any clarification of legal status or classification of their bikes on their site. The same can be said of E-MTBs or speed pedelec brands eg Stromer though. The shops selling 28mph pelelecs are clear that they need moped licencing to go on the road, I expect it saves them wasted time or frustrated customers to be up front there. Surrons tend to be sold by motorbike shops so that should clear things up. The responsibility may be on the retailer not the brand – I’m not sure.

RustyNissanPrairie

There’s a pedal conversation kit for Surrons that replaces the footpegs with pedals. The **** I stopped riding up a busy footpath gave it the ‘its an ebike mate’ line whilst spinning his plastic Neutron’s.

The genie is out of the bottle now with Surrons.

Sur-Ron LBX Pedal Conversion Kit

jameso

^ it says that pedal kit can damage the motor unless it’s restricted to EPAC regs. There’s another kit for unrestricted power but if it has pedals and 6000W it’s still illegal on bridleways and w/o plates and license etc – same as a chipped e-MTB. The problem with anything like that is that you can’t really tell what’s e-MTB and what’s e-MX until it wheelspins and sprays dirt 15ft behind it.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

The problem with anything like that is that you can’t really tell what’s e-MTB and what’s e-MX until it wheelspins and sprays dirt 15ft behind it.

Not really an issue is it? Look at the photo of the suron and tell me what it is. If you showed that photo to anyone and asked “bike or motorbike?” you’re unlikely to get anything but motor bike back.

jameso

Look at the photo of the suron and tell me what it is.

You and I can tell, we look at bikes all the time and can ID a mech model at 20 yards or a tyre from the pattern left in the dirt.
    I reckon the average non-cyclist out for a walk sees the same thing, e-MTB or e-MX. Sus forks, big tyres, often with a full face lid. They don’t see a photo, they see someone on something generally like that coming past them either being a dick or not. The BBC can’t get it right in that article linked above, can’t see Doris and John out with Bertie the poodle getting it right.

What I’m getting at is that’s how they get away with it, they look close enough to the same.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I got Sur-Ronned this evening. 3 absolute chumps riding them in the canal tow path next to the Northampton arm of the Grand Union. I had slowed down to walking speed to go under a bridge. Very glad I did as Throbber 1 came racing through from the opposite direction. We collided but thankfully no damage done. Throbbers 2 and 3 skidded to a halt. I got out of the way sharpish, mainly due to shock. They rode away with Throbber 3 spinning his rear wheel as he left. Totally the wrong place to be riding an electric motorbike. Families and dog walkers on a path a couple of feet wide.

bikesandboots

I think this is the latest general thread about them.

I’m seeing these and their marks all over the place lately. Riders always wearing a face covering up to their eyes.

Out for a walk, two of them jump out of the trees across the pavement 10m in front of me, proceed to wheelie a long way down the wrong side of the dual carriageway. Biking in the local forest, two of them nailing it up the fire road to the top of the trail. Walking on a divided shared use path, I’ve been passed by one in the cycle lane, and seen one come down the cycle lane beeping its horn at pedestrians walking in the lane. Waiting at some traffic lights in my car at a crossroads, two of these shoot through red on their back wheel.

From the looks of it, it seems popular to do a donut circle in place on grass, leaving a round mark. There are muddy lines down various unfenced grass slopes locally.

fossy

They are the new dirt bikes TBH, but you can’t hear them. Had loads of run ins with them, either on my bike or in the car.

matt_outandabout

They are the new dirt bikes TBH

This.

And attract an even more dodgy set of riders.

steelisideal
    Free Member

If you took a cross-section of 100 Surron ‘owners’ I suspect you’d find 99 of them are balaclava wearing, drug dealing scumbags. Apologies to the 1%.

(In my thankfully limited experience of Surron riders it’s been 100% utter bell).

surfpunk

This 👆🏻

fossy

Yup, the lot riding these things are dodgy feckers. The balaclavas define that.

We had two splatted on a local road which stopped me getting home, but calling into the pub, they were ‘lovely lads’. Both in 20’s, barrelled down road with speed humps, driver pulled out and bang. Riders lived, but the facebook war was great (i had to use someone’s login to see it).

Del

Report on crimestoppers. The authorities can’t do anything about a problem if they don’t have the data and crimestoppers is a convenient way to get information in to the system.

jamiemcf

My run ins.

Few years back One numpty at glentress

Last year One numpty in maryhill (I was working on the viaduct)

Yesterday 5 numpties wheelieing through Falkirk.

onewheelgood

Met one in my local wood – which is a slightly cheeky ride for an MTB but if you ‘be nice say hi’ it’s generally OK. There was evidence of his skid and wheelspins everywhere, and as discussed above the general public won’t really differentiate between a SurRon and a regular MTB, so we’ll all get tarred with his brush. Really pisses me off.

I just had a look and these things cost between just under £5k and about £8.5k. How does a 15-year old afford that? And if they are all stolen, who are they stolen from?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Selling drugs or at least running them. Middle management in IT pays nothing compared to what these kids are earning. Plus they don’t have the finance on an Audi to keep up with.

hightensionline

As above. They seem like a very useful tool for balaclava wearing roadman to make a quick getaway, usually down routes the Polis can’t follow at 40+mph. Hence cycle tracks.
    So perhaps the Police should use them and all.

zerocool

My brother got one (cheap from a mate whose wife said that it violated the “no motorbike agreement they had”), no idea which model. He’s been thrashing it around the old tracks and jumps we made on my parent’s farm for the last 6 months. They’re awesome fun. I know we all turn our noses up at them (“oh I say, they’re like a commoner’s ebike”) and there are loads of scrotes riding them around (at least they’re smaller and less noisy than the dirt bikes they all used to ride), but on private land they’re great fun and being almost silent means they don’t piss off the neighbours like motors and quads (and a trike) used to when we were kids.

It’s had loads of abuse, minimal servicing (I swapped the pads out recently)and for about £1,800 (Inc charger, etc) it’s great.

But then neither of us plan on riding it on the road or public trails.

My little brother (43 years old) does often wear a balaclava in winter, but usually only when it’s very cold and he’s out cutting down trees of general estate maintenance at the NT property he manages.

hatter

The reason so many of these young scamps suddenly seem to be cruising  around in £££££ E-MX bikes is because many are involved with drug running and they get them bought for them by higher-ups, this not only makes them more effective at their job but ties them into the gang because they need to ‘pay off’ the  bike.

As had been said above, the laws are already there, but there’s not enough resource to enforce them.

And, whilst I’m sure there are farmers and other law abiding users out there, my encounters with them have also been 100% ‘balaclava’ed tosspot tearing down a local cyclepath with a spliff hanging out his mouth”

oldenough
    Free Member

He’s been thrashing it around the old tracks and jumps we made on my parent’s farm for the last 6 months. They’re awesome fun. I know we all turn our noses up at them

Not when used as intended as above, great fun.
    Two lads by me were killed on one, the ensuing riots gained national attention. As always everybody elses fault accept themselves and those who bought it for them (family or so they say )

RustyNissanPrairie

The reason so many of these young scamps suddenly seem to be cruising around in £££££ E-MX bikes is also because

Sam Pilgrim being epic on one

ajantom

We had two splatted on a local road which stopped me getting home, but calling into the pub, they were ‘lovely lads

Sad as it is when anyone dies, there’s an element of sound-bite bingo when you read reports on these accidents…

Lovely lad, heart of gold, loved his family, loveable rogue, bit of a rascal, etc. etc.

Daffy

A 200% import tax.  Make it financially impossible for most to own them.

hatter

The law that introduces that tax will have to be written incredibly carefully to avoid actual legal e-bikes getting caught up in it.

And then que Sur Ron marketing bikes with tiny cranks and pedals to sell them as E-bikes but with MX foot pegs in the box and software that can be delimited and set to run off a throttle by anyone with 5 minutes and an Internet connection.

The brands making these bikes and actively marketing them towards the urban scrote market are 100% part of the problem here.

dudeofdoom

A 200% import tax. Make it financially impossible for most to own them.

TBH it’s how they are being sold is the problem, classify it as a motorbike that requires registration and insurance and don’t permit sale for off road use only and sell thru a dealership.

Currently you can just mail order one no questions asked.

If caught on the road without reg and insurance straight in the crusher.

Meh I hate being a fun killer but it’s the few that stop us having nice things.

bikesandboots

They are the new dirt bikes TBH, but you can’t hear them.

Exactly, I’m rarely caught off guard when out and about but these do almost every time.

If you took a cross-section of 100 Surron ‘owners’ I suspect you’d find 99 of them are balaclava wearing, drug dealing scumbags. Apologies to the 1%.

Would be great if the police could get a list of them from the seller or from payment processors. Then go after a small sample, if it yields criminals then crack on go through all of them.

Report on crimestoppers. The authorities can’t do anything about a problem if they don’t have the data and crimestoppers is a convenient way to get information in to the system.

I have a few times. Feel like a bit of a fool tbh to keep reporting them really, they know but can’t and/or won’t do anything.

If they had an officer hide in the bushes beside the cycle path with a stinger at the ready for a couple of hours on an evening, they’d almost certainly nab a few.

cookeaa

They’re the scumbag’s favourite toy round here, seeing them more and more, Clearly the Rozzers aren’t able to catch and/or confiscate them.

Watched two wheelying between cars, through a red light into a section of dual carriageway the other night, followed by their lower tier mate on his E-scooter… hoodies and facemasks or Balaclavas means the police certainly can’t chase, much less follow or else it ends up like the whole thing in Cardiff the other week.

Interestingly the small number of scumbags that typically blat about on stolen MX bikes every summer seem to be strangely absent so far. I doubt they’re still in hibernation, it’s more likely they’ve moved onto Sur-rons, no need for time consuming maintenance or buying petrol, all they need to do is plug it in round their Nan’s house. While I don’t miss the noise of a knackered 2 stroke being inexpertly strangled, you could at least hear them coming better.

Sod it ban the bastard things, both the sale and ownership of them, some rules need to be enforced:

You can purchase (and register) a proper road legal E-Motocycle when you produce a license in the shop. The Sur-rons (and the privately owned e-scooters need to be taken away and crushed, make the import and sale of them illegal. They get a single, brief, amnesty to hand them in for a refund. After that, whip out the battery pack and straight in the crusher they go (the bikes). I also reckon anyone who’s kids have one (however it was funded/supplied) should be put on something like a parenting order by default…

sobriety
    Free Member

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Interestingly, Faceache shoved me a fairly recent post from South Yorkshire Police off road team. Seems that Sur-rons are currently their main confiscation.</p>
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02KZ7tqA7rjLCVXfqg1P9vXrY6SymSD4sy1VwGEt2Xz2xeKD6pCgumc3c8NVc8jJQ5l&id=100064546216014

cookeaa

Yep and six months later Auctioned off again, no doubt to end up back in the hands of another scumbag…

hatter

The comments underneath that post are….. enlightening.

The number of posts basically saying ‘snitches get stitches’ on a Police FB page gives you a fair idea of the mentality we are dealing with here.

SirHC

West Mids have invested in drones: https://www.west-midlands.police.uk/frequently-asked-questions/police-drones

Makes a lot of sense, although I’d like to see high speed drones to catch the likes of the surrons, trace them back to their houses, video evidence, bike seized and then crushed.

kimbers

2 were going round Woburn yesterday, annoying as I had my kids with me, we overtook then when they stopped for a fag break

kayak23

I’ve twice now told a couple of pairs of different lads riding them up at the local cycle trails in a public park by me that they aren’t allowed to be used there.

Both times been verbally abused, threatened and then told off by my gf who says I’ll get knifed. Hate the things and it’s only going to get worse.

Both times reported on 101. Both times heard nothing back at all, even with photos.

scuttler

Is it cos they don’t wear helmets that the cops can’t chase them?

snotrag

Rife round here too, however Police beign very active about it and chasing reports, asking for evidence etc.

Still some nuggets who respond ‘whats the point in reporting’ on the social media post/email comms literally asking people to report so they know where to find them….

hatter

That’s the theory, I imagine most of them wouldn’t wear helmets anyway, seems to be an article of faith for the average scally, whether they’re motorized or pedal powered.

Actually reported a lovely balaclava’ed gentleman doing wheelies past the local shops yesterday evening via 101 and was told something similar, please report so that they can identify where/when they are being used and are more likely to be able to catch them.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 314 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.