Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • How do you solve the Sur-On problem?
  • Premier Icon zippykona

Surely these things will receive no maintenance and die, those ones left running will be nicked by a fellow scumbag then set on fire.

Premier Icon RustyNissanPrairie

Surely these things will receive no maintenance and die, those ones left running will be nicked by a fellow scumbag then set on fire.

you’d think the same about combustion powered ‘crossers that need considerable maintenance but scroates are still ragging the shit out of moorlands/Lee Quarry etc on them.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

While I’m sympathetic to the theft, correct me if I’m wrong but this bike isn’t an Ebike, and shouldn’t have been on the Holmebroom trail.

Police should prosecute, no?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-61269306.amp

Premier Icon jameso

That BBC article tells you a lot about the public’s likely perception of Surrons, E-MTB FS bikes and anything ridden by someone in a full face lid.

Dashcam footage is being sought after a cyclist’s electric bike was stolen by a group of men.

Derbyshire Police said the theft happened on the Holmebrook Valley Trail in Chesterfield on Wednesday night.

The cyclist, who was in his 20s, told officers he was approached by the group near the junction of Monkey Park and Chester Street at about 22:30 BST.

They stole the
    Sur-Ron pedal assisted e-bike

and left in the direction of Chester Street.

I may be wrong but thought Surrons are all pegs not pedals. E-MX or EPAC – all the same to the public. I mean, who has time to look up the Type Classification of EPACs that are legal on bridleways like a bike anyway?

Premier Icon jameso

Interesting how Surron are describing these e-MXs as ‘e-bikes’ on their instagram site. They call them ‘electric motorbikes’ under the product images but there’s plenty of of mention of bikes and e-bikes.

By Integration, Design, or Performance, Sur-Ron E Bikes set new standards in all areas

‘E-Bike’ is a general term. An EPAC is road legal and can be used anywhere a trad pedal bike can be used. Outside of that you’re covered by moped/motorbike rules. Grey area, lack of clarity in general?

Given how clear a company such as Pure Electric has to be on e-scooter legality and descriptions and continual use of disclaimers or legal notices in their marketing of e-scooters it made me wonder about Surron’s marketing. I couldn’t find any clarification of legal status or classification of their bikes on their site. The same can be said of E-MTBs or speed pedelec brands eg Stromer though. The shops selling 28mph pelelecs are clear that they need moped licencing to go on the road, I expect it saves them wasted time or frustrated customers to be up front there. Surrons tend to be sold by motorbike shops so that should clear things up. The responsibility may be on the retailer not the brand – I’m not sure.

Premier Icon RustyNissanPrairie

There’s a pedal conversation kit for Surrons that replaces the footpegs with pedals. The **** I stopped riding up a busy footpath gave it the ‘its an ebike mate’ line whilst spinning his plastic Neutron’s.

The genie is out of the bottle now with Surrons.

Sur-Ron LBX Pedal Conversion Kit

Premier Icon jameso

^ it says that pedal kit can damage the motor unless it’s restricted to EPAC regs. There’s another kit for unrestricted power but if it has pedals and 6000W it’s still illegal on bridleways and w/o plates and license etc – same as a chipped e-MTB. The problem with anything like that is that you can’t really tell what’s e-MTB and what’s e-MX until it wheelspins and sprays dirt 15ft behind it.

Premier Icon dangeourbrain

The problem with anything like that is that you can’t really tell what’s e-MTB and what’s e-MX until it wheelspins and sprays dirt 15ft behind it.

Not really an issue is it? Look at the photo of the suron and tell me what it is. If you showed that photo to anyone and asked “bike or motorbike?” you’re unlikely to get anything but motor bike back.

Premier Icon jameso

Look at the photo of the suron and tell me what it is.

You and I can tell, we look at bikes all the time and can ID a mech model at 20 yards or a tyre from the pattern left in the dirt.
    I reckon the average non-cyclist out for a walk sees the same thing, e-MTB or e-MX. Sus forks, big tyres, often with a full face lid. They don’t see a photo, they see someone on something generally like that coming past them either being a dick or not. The BBC can’t get it right in that article linked above, can’t see Doris and John out with Bertie the poodle getting it right.

What I’m getting at is that’s how they get away with it, they look close enough to the same.

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.