Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How do points come off your license?
  • jimmy

I have 3 points due to expire next month. However, I moved house a couple of months ago and was hoping to combine costs (if its even possible) of address change and points removal. Is this possible? And do they send a reminder to do so as it will go to my old address… Anyone done similar?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

No reminder and yes you can do both at the same time.

jimmy

mega, ta

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

are you 3 or 4 years in? I'm pretty sure the actual procedure is a bit perverse in that they "drop off" your record after 3 years (in other words if you get 3 points in 2 months time, you will have 3 not 6 points) but they dont physically remove them from your licence for another year.

Worth checking DVLA website, youre sending licence in anyway but youll know what to expect.

Smee
    Free Member

Points stay on your licence for 4 years but count towards totting up for 3.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I moved house about 6 months before points were due to come off my licence. The renewed licence came back with the points removed.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But surely it doesn't matter whether the 'points' are on the licence or not – if they have expired, they have expired. Is there a need to physically have them taken off other than vanity?

I have 3 points on my licence from 6 years ago which I haven't removed, but if I were to get any more points now, they wouldn't be added to the ones on the licence because they have technically expired. Perhaps I could just get some Tippex out?

jimmy

m_f – I wondered the same. But if they can come off I'll get it done with the address change rather than not bother. Innit.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

m_f – I wondered the same. But if they can come off I'll get it done with the address change rather than not bother. Innit.

Well I would ASSUME that, as the licence needs to be re-issued with the new address, the points will automatically come off as they are no longer current.

You won't get a reminder to remove them. I think the biro (mine were written in by hand) will have faded before I can be bothered to update my licence 🙂

Spongebob
    Free Member

If the endorsement has expired, you don't need to declare it even if it's still on your license.

Make sure you photocopy you license before you send it away. There have been thousands of cases of licenses being changed. I used to erroneneously have a category to drive a tank. That was removed last time I got a new license, but how did they know I hadn't ever driven a tank?

There have been experienced motorists who have had to resit car and bike tests as a result of these cockups. This was featured on BBC's Watchdog.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

spongebob good point, loads of people are losing motorcycle and the D1 (minibus entitlement) when they get licences back. Its affecting the old bill as you need D1 to drive their Transits (seat over 7 passengers so counts as a minibus) and people are moving house etc and then losing the entitlement.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How do points come off your license?’ is closed to new replies.