• This topic has 73 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • How can I become a working-class mountain biker???
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I am fed up of being the brunt of most of the class jibes on STW and wanted to move classes so that I too can take the p1ss out of middle class mtbers with too much disposable income.

I realise that it will be hard and that I am disadvantaged by living near the surrey hills and working in IT, although at least I don’t drive an Audi.

I have started trying to make the transition by increasing the number of times I say fookin’, drinking bitter instead of lager, and knocking the wife about a bit when I come in late stinking of booze.

I wondered about having to sell my 3 bed semi in Horsell and moving to somewhere like East Croydon, but hope that something less severe might suffice and am open to suggestions…

I will also need a career change – what other well paid and enjoyable options are there other than IT???

I am also looking forward to having more hours available to fettle my bikes as my travelling times will be cut as I will not be working in the city anymore. It is a good job too as, with my reduced income, I won’t be able to afford to replace parts as often on my bikes.

Please wish me luck on this journey 🙁

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Move oop north and buy an orange 5.

donsimon
    Free Member

How bizarre!

Blower
    Free Member

come live ere in huddersfield.

get out wi us,and we’ll transform you 😀 😉

lizzz
    Free Member

I find your whole post quite offensive tbh.

nonk
    Free Member

your entire post is a complete fail though mate because it helps us to see that you are in fact a middle class stuck up **** 😀

TheFlyingOx

So very gauche of you, TG. Embrace your disposable income, your job, your 3-bed semi in suburbia. Don’t try to be something you’re not.

kudos100
    Free Member

Stop spending your money on shite that will not make you faster and go on a few skills course instead?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Sorry for any offense just trying to point out that this forum is constantly full of cracks at so-called middle class riders from Surrey (who possibly work in IT, are fighting middle-aged spread and drive Audis), and they often appear to be quite barbed, as if we are the root of all evil.

nonk
    Free Member

to be fair to you i do see your point.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I was trying to do a Brass Eye – Chris Morris – type thing but obviously failed – which is why I work in IT and not the entertainment industry 🙂

The fairest thing to take the p1ss out of in the Surrey Hills area in my view is all the lycra clad middle aged roadies – wearing the kit and looking the part but just pootling along the road putting little real effort in. And then popping into the LBS to get their gears trimmed as they don’t know how to do it.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Don’t take the piss out of me! Take the piss out of those other guys there much worse than me look!

jackthedog
    Free Member

drinking bitter instead of lager

That would be a mistake. Middle class types have taken over the world of real ale. Working class blokes drink lager.

mudshark
    Free Member

The fairest thing to take the p1ss out of in the Surrey Hills area in my view is all the lycra clad middle aged roadies – wearing the kit and looking the part but just pootling along the road putting little real effort in. And then popping into the LBS to get their gears trimmed as they don’t know how to do it.

Um, don’t we want to encourage cycling? If you’re on a bike you’re doing pretty fine really.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Does nobody drink mild anymore?

jackthedog
    Free Member

Does nobody drink mild anymore?

In my experience there are two choices for the modern drinker: mass produced, gassy lagers that sponsor football and taste of nothing but a desire to punch your tattooed wife, or locally brewed real ales made from beards and melted down titanium Jones loop bars.

GJP
    Free Member

Middle Aged – Tick
    Work in IT – Tick
    Drive an Audi – Tick (and I fooking love it)
    Wear Lycra – Tick
    Pootle around in the Surrey Hills- Tick
    Don’t put any real effort in – No Tick – I may not be going very fast but believe you me I am putting the effort in 😆
    Have too many expensive bikes that I can’t really ride – Tick
    Have a **** off expensive Naim Hi-Fi, and probably in all truth can’t tell the difference – Tick
    Middle class – Tick (but most certainly from a working class family, but my free comprehensive education enabled my social mobility!)

I have no shame, where do I sign for my life membership?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Well see first you need to get rid of that fancy-dan Turner, and get some old knackered cheap thing, “hardtails” I think they are called. Make it your mission to “hunt down” “power rangers” and act all affronted when someone suggests that a tracksuit and old reeboks are not the optimum cycling attire.

To make the transition to working-class warrior, don’t forget to stock up on sour grapes. These sour grapes will eventually turn into vinegar, which you can sprinkle liberally on the sizeable chip on your broad working-class shoulder.

donsimon
    Free Member

Why would simply working in IT make someone middle class?
    I get a bit sick and tired of every Tom, Dick and Harry that has a decent wage thinking that they’re middle class. Unless you are of good education (no state school riff-raff) and managerial (proper managerial) you’re quite simply white collar working class.
    Get over it and learn to live with you insecurities.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

can’t I have a hardtail as well as a Turner?

geologist
    Free Member

Your a southerner, you can never truely be working class!

flap_jack
    Free Member

I’ll admit to drinking mild (when I can find it).

But this debate really finished years ago with that fantastic Prescott quip about keeping his coal in his bidet.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

maybe the criteria is whether you would feel comfortable in a working mens club, or not?

landcruiser
    Free Member

I got the joke ! and thought it amusing, so I don’t understand why anyone would find this (original) post offensive………… Mind you I do live in the Surrey Hills 😯

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

can’t I have a hardtail as well as a Turner?

that was the wrong thing to say – I should have said:

It’ll be a cold day in hell before anyone gets me off this fookin’ turner

rootes1

I wondered about having to sell my 3 bed semi in Horsell

better swap drinking and eating in the Red Lion for bitter and scratchings in the The Crown… 😆

flap_jack
    Free Member

Heh heh, once drinking in a working man’s club, bought a ticket in the meat raffle, you should have seen my mate’s face when this geezer comes over and says

‘You’ve just won a joint’…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

A 3 bed semi? You won’t have to downgrade your house to working class accomodation then.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

probably the saddest thing about STW (although I’m also well aware that it’s mostly merely a reflection of the wider world actually) is the near constant need to pick faults with everyone else’s lives.
    why even care?
    if you’re doing so because you’re not happy with your own, then make changes…
    if you’re doing so for “a laugh”, then it’s not really particularly funny, is it?
    if you’re doing it because you genuinely dislike everyone other than yourself, then perhaps you need to take a look in the mirror?

emac65
    Free Member

You could start by buying a detached house,instead of one of those shared semi-things.Never understood those things, how can it be your house if it’s joined onto another house ? You wouldn’t buy a car that was attached to another car now would you……… 8)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Footy top, tracksuit bottoms, LiDLs SPD shoes; proper scum:

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

better swap drinking and eating in the Red Lion for bitter and scratchings in the The Crown…

crikey, have you seen me going into the Red Lion then – next time introduce yourself!!!

The Crown – shudder – it does look rough in there…

d45yth
    Free Member

don simon – Member

Why would simply working in IT make someone middle class?
    I get a bit sick and tired of every Tom, Dick and Harry that has a decent wage thinking that they’re middle class. Unless you are of good education (no state school riff-raff) and managerial (proper managerial) you’re quite simply white collar working class.
    Get over it and learn to live with you insecurities.

Well said! I think a lot of this working-class, middle-class thing could be better put as…those who get their hands dirty and those that don’t (office workers!). 😛

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You could start by buying a detached house,instead of one of those shared semi-things.Never undertood those things, how can it be your house if it’s joined onto another house ? You wouldn’t buy a car that was attached to another car now would you

the wife didn’t like any of the detached we looked at when we bought this, and now the gap to a decent detached round here is too much to be worth it really, another 200k at least. I’ll wait for the next crash.

[Although we could go to Kingfield or somewhere, near where they play that scummy soccer game.]

Should have slapped her down and reminder her of her place and insisted on the detached then.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

those who get their hands dirty

the only reason I get my hands filthy is because I never get around to cleaning all the lunchtime crumbs and splashes from my keyboard 😳

redthunder
    Free Member

TooTall
    Free Member

Footy top, tracksuit bottoms, LiDLs SPD shoes

All negated by the Lefty. Too niche for proper low life. Good effort but that last 10% gives it away.

yunki
    Free Member

I’d be delighted to indoctrinate you into the world of the underclass cyclist if you have a spare lifetime to dedicate to your learnings..?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

All negated by the Lefty. Too niche for proper low life

Balls. 😡

redthunder
    Free Member

OP

Is a good reason to pack this forum in 🙁

Sadly this site is not updated anymore…. I expect the IT departments boy’s Audi has conked out 😉

http://bluecollarmtb.com/

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘How can I become a working-class mountain biker???’ is closed to new replies.