Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Hotels in that there landan town…..
  • bruneep

Mr & Mrs bruneep are having a child free date away in landan town in March. Plan is to do some shows, wander, eat n drink for 2-3 days have some us time. Will be flying into city airport.

whats a good hotel near to airport or shows something nice would be good.

ourmaninthenorth

That’s quite broadly phrased question….

I’d call Claridges to see what they have available. Or the Dorchester perhaps…

You did ask!

bruneep

ok thats 2 to call

not wanting a lenny lodge

or just take pot luck on booking.com

ourmaninthenorth

Ok, so I’m taking the piss (unless you have several £thousand to spend per night).

Stayed at a nice boutique place near Marble Arch called, imaginatively, The Arch. Wasn’t mega expensive 200-250 a night IIRC.

I stay in Shepherds Bush for work – the Dorsett. Area is “lively”, but the hotel’s pretty good. Less than 200/night.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I enjoyed the Intercontinental (number 1 Park Lane) handy for many things….

Though my current city hotel booking is thought the likes of Wotif.com and pic the mystery deal (you can generally guess where they are)

AlasdairMc

Don’t stay near City, it’s crap. I stayed in an Ibis Budget out there and was pretty sure that the other guests were taking a break from murdering people.

In ‘The City’ though is good on a weekend as it’s cheap. I’ve spent a fair amount of time in the Montcalm with work, it’s a nice hotel and right next to the Barbican and a tube ride away from the West End.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

OMG – since when was 200-250 notes a night “not expensive” on a sandal wearing, tree hugging, bleeding heart liberal kind of website?

Look at Premier Inn and spend the rest on ents

Seriously

bruneep

Look at Premier Inn

No! no! no! we do this when kids are in tow, this is mum n dad time.

thanks for the ideas so far

ourmaninthenorth

@iamsporticus – because I have no idea of bruneep’s budget (hence references to the Dorch). And he’s going to London, where 200 a night in central London for a worn 4 star hotel with no atmosphere is normal and 1000 a night easy to do.

They’re going away to bonk each other’s brains out – might as well do it somewhere nice!

lunge

The Radisson Blu on Mercer Street is slap bang in the middle of Covent Garden and worth a look. Good location for the shows and for general wandering and a very nice hotel as well.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Zetters clerkenwell, cocktails in the town-house, eats in StJohn, Foxlow, Modern Pantry, Quality Chop house, The Eagle, Moro etc etc
    There’s also the malmaison near smithfield.

theotherjonv

Fox and Anchor near Smithfield. And it’s above a pub that does really good food.

That’s where I’d take Mrs bruneep for boffing.

bruneep

Woah there cowboy.

😯

Hmmmm How much would this boffing service cost?

KidCragg
    Free Member

I’ll second the Montcalm being good!

dbcooper
    Free Member

We have just stayed in the Bloomsbury Mercure, 10 mins walk from Aldwych where all the theatres are. It was pretty good, not amazing but not dissapointing.

hot_fiat

Novotel Kings cross St Pancras is pretty central. Ask for a room above floor 9 for great views.

Novotel Greenwich – great for good food, easy access to town via train, dlr to lcy or if you want to feel Bond villain like, by themes clipper.

Crowne plaza at excel is great for LCY and bargainicious if there’s nowt on at excel.

voodoo_chile

Try hotel indigo ,minories/India street not far from tower bridge and aldgate tube very nice place

tootallpaul

Airbnb?

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Park Plaza Westminster Bridge is good–big, buzzing, great location, nice rooms (worth an upgrade for a great view), close to tubes, nice walks nearby (through Westminster and into the parks or along the river, maybe take a water taxi to Greenwich). Or if you want to spend silly money, Brown’s in Albemarle St and The Goring are lush. Or maybe have a look on Trivago and see what’s on offer for the w/e you want?

theotherjonv

How much would this boffing service cost?

It’s a bit like the old Jamaican Hi-Lo eatery in Oxford 20 something years ago, where the owner would look you up and down and then decide what the price was based on what she thought was fair for you to pay.

I have a sliding scale based on comparative looks, ability, how enjoyable the evening was for both parties, etc.

I rarely make anything and am frequently out of pocket.

bruneep

Nobody said anything about her enjoying herself, I ensure that doesn’t happen let’s not change her expectations.

Keep em coming, hotels that is.

muzzle
    Free Member

No idea if the location is suitable for you, but the Hoxton in Shoreditch is ace and not too silly on price. Excellent late bar and really good breakfast too.

instanthit
    Free Member

Just had a weekend in town doing exactly the same thing, we stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Blackfriars. Tube station across the road, right on the Thames, walk into town in 20 minutes along the Thames and really nice pub opposite the hotel.
    Tesco metro next door for sandwiches!!
    Hotel was clean, comfy, full breakfast and quiet.
    Wife was so happy i even managed to mention the little alpine road trip we (roadie trip) are planning for later in the year and it didnt get dismissed out of hand.

sturmeyarcher

Second vote for Mr. Smith’s Zetter recommendation…and all the places around. Get a nice room in the Townhouse 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Hotels in that there landan town…..’ is closed to new replies.