Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Hope Tech 3 E4s – noisy?
  • siwhite
    Free Member

I’m about to pull the trigger on buy some Tech 3 E4 brakes. I’m well aware that I could have five pairs of Deores for the same money, before anyone reminds me. I’m after some user feedback.

I’ve read the odd review that mentions brake squeal in the wet. Having just spend almost my whole ride at Swinley not braking due to squealing Shimano brakes (a sound that I cannot stand…) I’m curious about whether the Hopes will do the same. I’ll be using Shimano discs to start with, in case that makes any difference…

chiefgrooveguru

Only when the discs are wet (which doesn’t last long if you brake with intent!)

markpallister
    Free Member

Mine are fine

blairc70
    Free Member

no issues with mine, as above may be some noise initially when they first get wet and are cold, soon goes.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Mine have been fine. Less noisy than shimano. Makes a difference if you set them up properly rather than just pull the lever and bolt them up where they land.

julians
    Free Member

Mine squeal if its very wet.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

When really wet and cold they do squeak for a moment, but once dry they’re faultless. Odd thing is that not all sets seem to do it, even when setup correctly. Calliper alignment is critical on 4 pot brakes, but easy to do when not rushing. You won’t regret going hope, people rarely go back.

andysredmini
    Free Member

No noise from any of my 3 sets. Buy some you won’t regret it.

SirHC

Never had any brake squeal, even when its been pissing it down and the trails are full of water.

Follow the instructions and line the calipers up straight (you should do this with any brake!) and they will work perfectly, this is the same with any brake though. The pull on the lever thing and tighten down the bolt method is a bit hit and miss.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

An odd one this. I’ve used most generations of Hope 4 pots and don’t remember the others squealing. New tech e4s squealed like crazy on a very wet day in Spain (but most other brakes were as well).

Good brakes though. I’ve been riding sram guides for the last year or so and still prefer the feel of Hope.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Like the other comments above, can squeak initially when cold and wet, but fine after that. Second the point about taking time to get them properly aligned

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Silent as above, only squeal when wet for a moment until the water clears

Great brakes

tmb467
    Free Member

Very rarely squeal – unless they’re sodden. The T1s I had before were much worse

Brake performance is better as well

zelak999
    Free Member

Yeah mine squeal a bit when wet but it’s more than worth it fir the braking performance experience!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Mine squeal from time to time, never really know why. Seems to just go away.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Had mine a year nearly and no squealing. Using Hope standard pads. Great brakes.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I have E4’s. With genuine hope pads they’re silent, however the superstar sintered pads I have in at the moment howl like a Vulcan Bomber. It’ll be back to hope pads when they wear out that’s for sure.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Hope Tech 3 E4s – noisy?’ is closed to new replies.