Home Forums Bike Forum Hope RS4 weirdness

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Hope RS4 weirdness
  • gotbike
    Free Member

Just picked up some new to me Stans Grails on RS4 Hubs. We’ve got 5 pairs of pro 4s and a set of pro2 evos but RS4s are new to me, and they are fitted with the 2 pawl HG free hub.

I’ve noticed once fitted that I get the usual hope noise when starting to freewheel, but then the hubs go nearly silent when coasting. The hubs seem to engage fine when I start pedalling again, and then are noisy again once I stop but then go quiet again very quickly.

There’s a little bit of grease in the ratchet system but I don’t think an excessive amount.

Is this what happens when the pawl springs need changing? I’ve pulled the free hub off and the springs seem to snap back fine when I push the pawls down with a finger. Am I about to die in a ball of flames if I ride them anymore?

TIA as ever

Saccades
    Free Member

My rs4 give a constant, gentle tick, tick, tick when freewheeling.

bigblackshed

I’m slightly disappointed with my RS4s. I’m used to BIG LOUD Hope hubs and the RS4s have a subtle click. If I’ve spent this much money on poncy hubs I want everyone to know I’ve spent this much money on poncy hubs.

Otherwise my RS4 / 20Five wheels are very good.

submarined
    Free Member

I’d start by cleaning out all the grease – I suspect it’s gumming them up a bit. I use 75/90 gear oil in mine, no issues with longeivity, plus easier to clean them out every once in a while,

if you want more noise, it will then seem louder, but if you want even more noise you can use Pro4 freehubs in them.

gotbike
    Free Member

Thanks all.

I’m not too fussed about them being noisy, based on the above maybe I need to adjust my expectations of how noisy they should be!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.