Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hope Pro 2's on Mavic XM819 rims weight?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

anybody know roughly what they weigh with dt swiss comp spokes? i cant find a thread on the whole of google that gives the build weight? just after a comparison as thinking of selling these to get something a touch lighter etc

relliott6879
    Free Member

Oscillate Wildly

anybody know roughly what they weigh with dt swiss comp spokes? i cant find a thread on the whole of google that gives the build weight? just after a comparison as thinking of selling these[/u] to get something a touch lighter etc

I’m expecting to get shot down in flames here for failing to spot something blindingly obvious, but if you have them to sell, could you not just weigh them?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Well it’s going to be in the region of 1850g for the pair if that helps. That’s not a precise weight; it’s what my set built onto Hadley hubs weighed, although the Hadley’s are a bit heavier than the Hopes.

Not as light as you think/would like eh. Still a nice wheel set though.

dantsw13

I have a set on one bike, but would be interested in another set for my new build. Email me in my profile if you are interested.

I agree with 1850-1900g for the set.

br
    Free Member

be nearer 1975g

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hi guys thanks a million, i dont have any clue about the weights and dont have any worthwhile scales to weigh with so am genuinely shocked to see the weights mentioned, sounds like stans flows would be lighter and considerably cheaper too

thanks for that, really appreciated! it isnt a plug ive never sold a pair of wheels before so dont know a) how much they are worth or b) what they weigh….

geetee1972
    Free Member

Ozzy – yes you’re right the stans Flow rim builds into a wheel that is about 100g lighter than the same wheel with the 819 rim. The reason is that the 819 rim adds 50g per wheel for the external UST nipples and Mavic don’t quote the rim weight with these.

It’s all a bit of swings and roundabouts when it comes to weight and the best way to compare is to weigh the complete unit, including tyres.

If you’re heavy and or aggressive the Stans Flow really needs a rim strip on the back, although you’ll get away without on the front. If you can just use yellow tape on the Flow, with latex solution and a non-UST tyre, then this can give you about the lightest AM wheel set there is without going to a proprietary set like the Crossmax.

The only downside with the Flow option is that it’s far messier to set up than the UST system of the Mavic 819; it works just as well though, but all the latex and washing up liquid needed to get the things to seal without the use of a compressor or CO2 canister can be a pain.

I think the Flow rim is a great choice; I ran a set for about four years and loved them. I did manage to ding the sidewalls a few times but never badly.

If you want to really save weight though and still have a bomber wheel I think the Crossmax STs are a great choice. They’ll save you around 300g which would be very noticeable on the wheels.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

geetee – thats superb info, thanks a million!

problem is im a UST rim fan, and i love the lack of faff on the current ones, i ONLY use ust tyres and they go on a breeze at the mo, guy in lbs says that his UST tyres go on just as easy on flows, as long as they are UST tyres, can you confirm that? i dont and wont use regular tyres tubeless regardless of weight penalty

im quite light at 10.5-11stone kitted up and ride in rocky area, but id like to think im a lightish rider, ive never mangled these rims so should sound testament to the above…

i can get a fair discount of the flows too, which would be the cheapest way to go tubeless under 300quid

geetee1972
    Free Member

You know I never tried to run UST tyres on the Flows, largely because UST tyres are usually quite a bit heavier than non-UST tyres and ideally you still need to run latex in them to seal thorn type punctures and what not. You don’t need latex to get them inflated though, so you can get away without it

(BTW did you know that the difference between UST and ‘Tubeless Ready’ tyres is the air tight butyl coating that UST tyres have, which makes them airtight without latex, whereas Tubeless Ready don’t have this – so are a bit lighter – but they are designed to create the air tight seal at the rim).

Getting the tyre inflated on the Flow rim is more about creating this initial seal between the bead and the rim. For some reason, the design of the UST rim makes that very easy; most of the time I can get my tyres inflated on my UST rims just using a track pump. On the Flow rim, with just yellow tape, I am not sure how easy it would be but it sounds like it’s easy enough from what your LBS is saying.

If you’re that light and ride light, then maybe you could also get away with a Stans Arch or even Arch EX rim. You could also run an Arch/Arch EX front and then Arch/Flow rear.

I’ve often thought that wheelsets would be better designed with a lighter front rim than rear, given that it’s the rear that takes most of the abuse.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

again massive thanks for the info, appreciated! now decisions decisions! defo sticking to ust tyres as the sidewalls are also thicker too, i know this from my own experience with tubeless ready bontys and tl ready schwalbes, both of which are not a patch on UST maxxis…but thats just my opinion, as long as ust tyres go on a breeze ala the lbs then hopefully thats that sorted…

so its looking like i am going to get some stans wheels then from them 🙂

cheers and thanks again for the help and time!

geetee1972
    Free Member

cheers and thanks again for the help and time!

Well I appreciate the thanks! Glad I could help.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro 2's on Mavic XM819 rims weight?’ is closed to new replies.