• This topic has 21 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by anc.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Hope ceramic bottom brackets, any good?
  • augustuswindsock

or should I go for an alternative, suugestions?

JPcapel
    Free Member

Outstanding – IMHO.
    Had 1 on my main bike for close to 2yrs now, totally fautless, ridden all through winter, inspired me to buy another more recently for a further bike I own and which was in need of a new BB.
    A proper fit and forget item…. so far.
    Friend has Chris King – has nicer rounded profile to edge of cups but does cost more.
    Hope do lots of colour options too.

pinches
    Free Member

i bought mine 2nd hand off here, the best part of a year ago, still running perfect, occasional maintenance as per the Hope video tutorial.

Do like the chris king version though.

augustuswindsock

cheers folks, i'll take the plunge!

singlespeedstu

8)

br
    Free Member

Mines on its 4th bike, top product.

jasonm945
    Free Member

I'm presuming the tool to apply the grease to the CK BB is not supplied and must be bought after market?
    I have been running Hopes for 16 months and they still spin nicely! Far beeter than the RF sh%%e I got with the chainset!

Jay

dustytrails

"Far beeter than the RF sh%%e I got with the chainset!"
    I second that – they are crap IMHO!!!

singlespeedstu

You two ^^^ ain't wrong there.

Yep the grease tool comes seperatley. Get your LBS to buy one when you buy the BB off them. Problem solved. Though i did buy my own as i'm a bit of a toolwhore. 😉

Northwind

Is the ceramic actually better than the stainless one in any noticable way?

augustuswindsock

last longer and less maintenance apparently!

Barelyincontrol
    Free Member

The bearings are smoother in a way that stainless aren't, and they are harder so last longer. Just be careful when you install them not to strip the threads off the cup… thank you Hope's legendary aftersales!

Northwind

OK, Barelyincontrol, but do you fit them and think "Wow, those are really smooth"? There's not really any roughness in an £18 Deore BB never mind a £60 Hope steel one.

terrahawk
    Free Member

they seem to last aaaaaggggeeeesss. So far.

ps44
    Free Member

So if I am trashing HT2's every six months, even with the upgraded BETD bearings, should I being going with these ? (I think I know the answer 😳 )

Vortexracing

I'm stuck between these Hope ceramics and the CK or the new pace ones with grease tool like the CK ones.

keep swinging from one t'tudder.

any real difference between them. They all seem about the same price and they all get good reviews

pinches
    Free Member

i was killing normal shimano HT2 BBs in one ride in some instances, i tried BETD upgrade in one, lasted a bit longer then started clicking its face off again.

Bought a 2nd hand hope ceramic, serviced as per the hope instructions, perfect running fit and forget!

GrandWazooo
    Free Member

Another one in the "awesome – just fit and forget" camp.

I have had about 10 months on mine and it still feels as remarkably smooth as the day it was fitted.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    OK, Barelyincontrol, but do you fit them and think "Wow, those are really smooth"? There's not really any roughness in an £18 Deore BB never mind a £60 Hope steel one.

I agree Northwind. Some of the guff spouted on here is priceless. I guess the marketing depts are doing a good job though.

pinches
    Free Member

i can't say it feels any different, i challenge anyone to be able to actually tell by hand tbh, but longevity certainly very good.

I was wrecking Race Face BBs in under two months.
    Hope ceramic BBs cost about 4 times as much, but it has lasted well over 4 times as long so far.

anc
    Free Member

XTR m970 bb's are excellent, they last me a good 2 years in the lakes riding 2-3 times a week and they cost £35. So for me I can't see the point other than bling with the Hope and CK stuff which actually weigh more.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Hope ceramic bottom brackets, any good?’ is closed to new replies.