Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • home WiFi connections question.
  • jojoA1
    Free Member

I have a good WiFi signal showing on my mobile at home and I can connect my HTC hero and open web pages, but after about 5 mins it just starts timing out and will only work again if I disconnect it from the WiFi and connect again. It's most frustrating. Any solutions? (In noob speak please.)

jojoA1
    Free Member

thanks to whoever deleted the other 3 posts of this question that were the result of phone faffage 🙂

luked2
    Free Member

Dodgy firmware on your phone most likely. Does it happen with other devices, e.g. a laptop?

jojoA1
    Free Member

No. the laptop is fine. How do I solve it please?

nickname
    Free Member

Hi Jojo, I don't have this problem myself, but this is a good forum for the Hero – this post looks similar to yours.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=541105

There seems to be a few suggestions

1) Use 'Wifi Fixer' from the market which automatically reconnects. I couldn't find this on the market, only the old version which isn't what you want…

2) Play around with some router settings. What router have you got?

Try this, or see if there's a similar setting on your router admin page.

"turning on the WiFi "Mixed-Mode" with B/G Mode together solved the issue."

Basically it suggests the problem is perhaps with the router, and I tend to agree with this.

I run a Hero with the 1.5 fireware which is what most people will be using unless they fiddle with their phone and root it. I've never had any problems connecting to a variety of wifi networks, which suggests the problem is more likely with your router (somewhere!).

jojoA1
    Free Member

Thanks, I'll have a bash.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I changed the channel on my router to "auto" recently, made the signal way better (to my desktop, ipod always seems OK).

No idea if this will help!

clubber
    Free Member

Top tip for any router problems – update the firmware on it to the latest version – IME that often fixes silly problems like this.

jojoA1
    Free Member

How do I update firmware for my router then? Seriously step-by-step instructions with no jargon required please. I looked at the thread linked to above and it was almost a foreign language to me 🙁 Where do people learn about this stuff?!

clubber
    Free Member

er… 🙂

Usually go to the website for your router's manufacturer and there'll be a support or downloads section – find the latest firmware for your router then compare the number (eg 2.1.1) with the firmware version of your router (usually in the bit where you set up all the wireless/etc data – you usually get to it by typing something like 192.168.1.1 into your browser). If the latest version is higher than yours then download the new firmware file and update it (there's usually an update button which will then ask for where the file is).

How about you tell us what router you have and we can probably help in a bit more detail.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Which router do you have – none of my HTC phones would work with my old Belkin router.

I have since replaced it with a Linksys, which works perfectly. It wasn't the firmware because I replaced it with the latest version.

takisawa2

Thanks, I'll have a bash

Well that's one way to celebrate. 🙂

jojoA1
    Free Member

It's a belkin. Was quite expensive (imo) £80.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Jojo, my HTC Hero does something similar (with a Billion brand router), haven't worked out how to sort it so if you find a solution please can you let me know.

clubber
    Free Member

Or it could be a problem with the phone – might be worth upgrading the firmware on that too!

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Aye, thought personally i'm waiting for the next official HTC one to get released. I have done the radio ROMs, but i don't really think it helped the wi-fi.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘home WiFi connections question.’ is closed to new replies.