Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Home energy reports = comedy genius
  • mildred

Ive just seen ours and for a meagre £13.5k – £20k outlay we could save…£43 per year energy costs. Meaning that in 313 years, if Gas & electricity remain the same price throughout, we will have broken even..! Where do I sign?

Clearly something devised to provide some light hearted relief whilst going through the stress of moving house. Does anyone take these seriously?

eltonerino
    Free Member

Nope. We’ve had similar. The biggest change for the last money you can do is change light bulbs. We sold one place and changing the last remaining old style light bulb was enough to push it up a category.

mildred

The light bulb thing is also inaccurate on ours – it says 60% energy saving bulbs, when only 1 out of 11 is a normal bulb.

The only conceivable change we could make without going into thousands seems to be to put 270mm loft insulation rather than the 100mm we already have.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TBF it’s just a report rather than a recommendation surely?

TooTall
    Free Member

You are very lucky and have what at first glance appears to be an energy efficient house.
    Most people are not so lucky. This report is not ‘for’ you.

mildred

TBF it’s just a report rather than a recommendation surely?

It’s both; it gives you your ‘score’ and then says where you could be based on their recommendations. It then breaks it all down to specifics.

You are very lucky and have what at first glance appears to be an energy efficient house.
    Most people are not so lucky. This report is not ‘for’ you.

I wouldn’t call it luck; when we moved in there was just two storage heaters and an immersion heater for hot water. We put the boiler, lagging, insulation and bulbs etc. in. I’m tight & don’t like spending money but can see the benefit of speculate to accumulate. What they’re recommending is just daft.

Onzadog
    Free Member

According to ours, we should insulate under our solid floor. Just wonder if that means I need to lift the suspended one first or not.

footflaps

I’d just ignore the report entirely. Unless your energy bills are expensive, why worry?

mildred

I’d just ignore the report entirely. Unless your energy bills are expensive, why worry?

We’ve had it done because we’re selling our house & virtually every person viewing has asked about the energy efficiency. My personal opinion/attitude is if I like a house I’m not going to get upset over this bollox. I appear to be alone.

Wally

I have open sanded boarded floor and 100+ year old sash windows – is there a negative insulation rating?

core

Aah, the EPC, Energy Performance Certificate, has to be provided by law for property sales and rentals. Also upon completion of any new dwelling (new build or conversion).

There’s two versions of the software, reduced data (RD SAP) version for the sales & rentals, worth less than the paper it’s printed on, recommendations are always ridiculous, in both types of calc. both are hypothetical, based on lots of assumptions, and take up far too much of my time.

GrahamS

Ours suggested cavity wall insulation.
    Our walls are solid. We’d have to add a cavity first before we could fill it. 😕

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Home energy reports = comedy genius’ is closed to new replies.