Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • HMS Ocean at the Olympics
  • RealMan
    Free Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Ocean_%28L12%29

I was lucky enough to be shown round the HMS Ocean the other week as it was docked (moored, anchored, idk, something like that) in the Thames for the Olympics.

I don’t know a lot about boats (or is it a yacht?), but it was definitely pretty cool, and I thought some of you might be interested. Brace yourself for the results from a camera phone mind.

Taken from the place where they steer it (the bridge I believe). The dome sticking out in the background in the second pic.

One of the whirlybird thingies inside the hull.

One of the landing crafts (which are apparently horrible to ride in – apparently the scene in Saving Private Ryan where they’re all throwing up is very realistic).

To give you an idea of how long the inside of the ship was (and the amount of cabling that ran everywhere).

Also a few pics that I got of Bolt after the 200m final

bikebouy
    Free Member

You’ve taken a shot of my Appartment in the first photo you cheeky bugger..

RealMan
    Free Member

Don’t want I zoomed in and photoshopped out.. well.. you know what 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

The overspill accommodation is noisy as hell as it’s next to the heli lift. The gyms are great. Food was pretty good. Sunbathing on deck is just the ticket after ops.
    Never trust the RM coxwain driving the LCU/P when he tells you how deep the water is. He hasn’t a clue and makes it up. Knee deep isn’t knee deep.

RealMan
    Free Member

Food was pretty good.

We had a quick look in the kitchens, looked proper busy. Apparently they have chefs in cooking 22 hours a day, and have served over 100,000 meals since arrival.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Jebus, look at all that unenclosed cabling. That’s how it was cheap!

Gunz
    Free Member

Jebus, look at all that unenclosed cabling. That’s how it was cheap!

The cabling’s kept open so it can be got at for damage control.

mattbee

If a caravan dwelling ne’erdowell got in there he’d be in heaven with all that cable. It’d be in the back of his untaxex Transit before you could say “where’s the nearest scrapyard”….

geologist
    Free Member

Cables aren’t enclosed in this type of ship. Makes fault finding, and the endless running in and out if them easier! fitted some of them 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘HMS Ocean at the Olympics’ is closed to new replies.