Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)
  • HM official opposition?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

And authoritarian wet dreamers can’t get enough of it. It’s a sorry state of affairs that cannot end well.

simon_g

Let’s wait and see. If we are unluckly enough to suffer a French style mass terrorist attack

You mean the ones coordinated over old Nokias and plain, unencrypted SMS?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You mean the ones coordinated over old Nokias and plain, unencrypted SMS?

Well if you can buy phones, sims and top ups for cash and tell each other the number it does make this sort of surveillance a lump hammer missing the walnut

willard

Well, the obvious choice would be to insist on the mandatory registration, with valid proof of ID and address, of every mobile telephone sold.

With the right machine learning you could even monitor all the metadata from all the phone calls being made. Obviously, if you have nothing to hide, you would not object to such a measure, after all, it would keep you safe from terrorists.

seosamh77
    Free Member

willard – Member
    Well, the obvious choice would be to insist on the mandatory registration, with valid proof of ID and address, of every mobile telephone sold.

With the right machine learning you could even monitor all the metadata from all the phone calls being made. Obviously, if you have nothing to hide, you would not object to such a measure, after all, it would keep you safe from terrorists.
    bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb.

I propose we start a campaign. render the meta searching useless.

Youre solution still doesn’t solve the problem of existing phones. Even if you could pass it through.

seosamh77
    Free Member

This is before we even mention all the computers, tablets out there too. I suspect, you wannabe fascists haven’t quite got a handle on the scale of the problem you seek to control.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think the only real solution is to get the listening devices installed along with the brain monitors, you can’t be too careful

seosamh77
    Free Member

I propose we extend the SNPs named person scheme to adults! 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

willard – Member
    Obviously, if you have nothing to hide, you would not object to such a measure, after all, it would keep you safe from terrorists.

Incidentally, as a principle I personally I think we should have reserved rights to clandestine activity against the government if it gets too big for it’s boots!

So yes, I do object.

willard

seosamh77 – Member

Youre solution still doesn’t solve the problem of existing phones. Even if you could pass it through.

Oh, that’s simple. Just insist on a recall of all non-approved and registered phones. All phones in use will then be approved, registered and able to be securely monitored by the responsible authorities.

Obviously, if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye, that’ll work. Why don’t you just switch off the internet? Probably the easiest solution, cut the wires. take down the satellites.

See above. I may well have nothing to hide, but something to fear.

Some of you really really should read a history book or 2, you don’t even need to go back as far as WW2.

jimdubleyou

Oh, that’s simple. Just insist on a recall of all non-approved and registered phones. All phones in use will then be approved, registered and able to be securely monitored by the responsible authorities.

Obviously, if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.

I can’t work out if this is sarcasm or not.

Which is obviously one of the issues.

#bomb #goingoffsoon #sendtheswatteam #wontsomebodythinkofthechildren

El-bent
    Free Member

Never ceases to amuse me that the lets say right wing types here, complain about big government interfering in their lives, yet get a complete hard on when the government want to implement surveillance laws such as this.

Authoritarians eh? 🙂

br
    Free Member

This is before we even mention all the computers, tablets out there too. I suspect, you wannabe fascists haven’t quite got a handle on the scale of the problem you seek to control. [/I]

Yep. And what also seems beyond their thought processes is that folk can just programme their past this stuff, not everything is an ‘App’ nor needs to be bought/downloaded. How do they think we did this stuff before? We wrote code!

Never ceases to amuse me that the lets say right wing types here, complain about big government interfering in their lives, yet get a complete hard on when the government want to implement surveillance laws such as this.

Yep, agree.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Must admit, going back to the OP, this going through without a whimper and Corbyns clear support for Brexit, have killed any good will I have for him and his Labour project.

willard

jimdubleyou – Member
    I can’t work out if this is sarcasm or not.

It is absolutely sarcasm. The whole phrase “if nothing to hide…” fills me with fear. Things I (or anyone else) do now may not e illegal or worthy of note, but may be in the future or when the people looking at the data changes.

I know many people that fought to give my parents and me the freedoms we enjoy now and I detest that we seem to be heading that way in all corners of the world.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

As I understand the justification & evidence for using those powers has to be extremely strong & robust – as someone who knows more about it than I said “If you’ve got nothing to hide, then you’ve nothing to worry about…”

Some very misleading term sin the Graun as I understand it are “…access masses of stored data…” & “…even if the person under scrutiny is not suspected of any wrongdoing….” whereas the act is aiming for targeted individuals & a court order must be obtained prior to the use of those powers.

So your information can’t be accessed by the Gov willy nilly – as I understand it.

Like anything it could be open to abuse……

edit: a court order isn’t required but there must be extreme justification for the use of the new powers.

binners

Must admit, going back to the OP, this going through without a whimper and Corbyns clear support for Brexit, have killed any good will I have for him and his Labour project.

Like on most issues, to me he just seems like a slightly bemused, barely interested bystander, just watching all this going on in front of him, without realising its actually his job to be doing something about it

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

It’s come as a complete surprise to me. I mean, TM was, pretty much the most hyper zealous spook champ Home Secretary we’ve had in years.

And we get more of her brilliant policies (see what i did there, they got NUTHIN’ on me…) when she is, er, given the Prime Ministers job.

As Russia found out, the apple don’t fall far from the tree.

There is a reason that Home Secretaries rarely get the top job…

EDIT:

Oh, and the “end to end VPN”, tor, steganography stuff – they dont have to know what you say, just that your hiding it. Sore thumb. Standout.

GrahamS

Spot on binners – he’s the tired headmaster rolling his eyes at the antics he’s seen many times before instead of getting stuck in and handing out some detentions!

Not sure who the hell I’ll vote for when I next get the chance. Probably an independent at this rate.

dragon
    Free Member

Some of you really really should read a history book or 2, you don’t even need to go back as far as WW2.

Remind me which departments ‘invented’ the computer and why?

As for Binners point, Corbyn and McDonnell are loving Brexit they are part of the old left that hate the EU and think without it the UK will suddenly become some commie workers paradise.

seosamh77
    Free Member

The Ancient Chinese tax office? 😆

GrahamS

You and your fancy abacus. That’s new tech.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishango_bone

seosamh77
    Free Member

😆

Cougar

Jamba (and others), I’m not going to try and change your opinions but you have to at least understand that you are arguing from a point of ignorance. The knowledge is out there in the public domain, cryptography is a very well known and understood art, it’s simply writing things down in a manner someone else can’t read. You can no more ban encryption than you can ban Welsh.

Encryption isn’t some sort of voodoo technlology where you take data and turn it into something special, it’s just number crunching. You can store it as plain text even; here’s an extract from a website certificate, for example:

A0NNQTEMMAoGA1UECxMDSUNUMR4wHAYDVQQDExVjb25mZXJlbmNlLmNtYS5nb3Yu
    dWswggEiMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4IBDwAwggEKAoIBAQCyJelWTh7NrUbAqy5T
    QODJ8xW1IugFw+4lgr9raLzvY4BJB4P3mIRHUoVWyGGQcvEpEez6TMEc28fFnMMv
    Cy65QXkjG0gqCFpuscjRxXDRqFCmLj4y9armc/gOI5gbHO4tgm5q0nsJYPpSbHnQ
    0wKVNG7ECYxye2z828ikc0JhCgbMDyFXoX7xeDA0C7lt2dCPLz5rlthxgHiMoHQ+
    E6I9ANgIqeGMx9lLipQ00BaRE7VT0pAmNrS/RgMxCHRo81+nd2MTQY0Yyta6YqwI
    9nZOXGHUu2lqMpFaoFaNM1nFsvGmffMMsrvofmCANFcXFtJHRtiOwMo5Kgyh8EDj

How are you going to ban the transmission of text?

what also seems beyond their thought processes is that folk can just programme their past this stuff, not everything is an ‘App’ nor needs to be bought/downloaded. How do they think we did this stuff before? We wrote code!

And it’s not even that complicated, you could knock something up from scratch in minutes. This is what I think some folk are misunderstanding, secure encryption isn’t difficult, it’s trivial. Or rather, it is now, all the heavy lifting has been done by a succession of clever people. Essentially you’re trying to legislate against the use of maths.

Oh, and the “end to end VPN”, tor, steganography stuff – they dont have to know what you say, just that your hiding it. Sore thumb. Standout.

Well,

1) So what? Guilty until proven innocent now are we?

2) That assumes that secure transmission of data is unusual. It isn’t.

seosamh77
    Free Member

In fairness, they may have a point here, lets decrypt all those bank details. See where the money really is! 😆

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

re corbyn and co.
    I used to think (for some reason I can’t now recall, most likely stupidity) that “left wing” and “liberal” meant much the same thing.

But I was painfully and obviously wrong.

People prepared to sacrifice the privacy and freedom of others “for security” “for the children” or whatever, should first make their own internet and phone history public (and possibly get rid of their curtains).

VPNs, tor etc do make you stand out like a sore thumb, but at least if “they” suspect you of nefarious dealings they’ll have to put a bit of effort in, and try to find some evidence (Edit: As cougar just said 🙂

Of course, the more they continue with this stuff, the more people will go down that road, until everything is encrypted and nothing is accessible (except for the logs jamba will record of his own activities and send unsolicited to Theresa every month).

Meanwhile, the actual terrorists will be passing each other messages in clear text using stolen phones, or by mail using sd cards, or maybe postcards, or maybe [insert simple secure idea here]..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Meanwhile, the actual terrorists will be passing each other messages in clear text using stolen phones, or by mail using sd cards, or maybe postcards, or maybe [insert simple secure idea here]..

Post a file to any cloud storage with public access, if you have the key you can decrypt it in seconds, like the classic spy thriller dead drop but all you need to do is hit up some free wifi.

martinhutch

Don’t worry, Jeremy has strategically placed Shami Chakrabarti in the Lords to scupper this authoritarian invasion of privacy. He can just stick his feet up and get on with the real business of opposition, whatever that is.

Still, May will have to go some distance to beat the Blair/Brown RIPA shambles, the main use of which appears to be helping councils find out who is putting their bin out on the wrong day. If any terrorists are trying to get their kid into a better school by lying about where they live, they’re screwed, basically.

GrahamS

Everyone knows that criminals, paedos and terrorists operate behind locked doors – so it follows that the world will definitely be a safer place if we ban locked doors.

Should be easy to do – simply ban shops from selling locks unless they can be opened by a government issued key.

Some people may try to barricade their door using other means but they’ll stand out like sore thumbs.

🙄

martinhutch

Why would you mind the government looking around your house if you have nothing to hide?

epicyclo

martinhutch – Member
    Why would you mind the government looking around your house if you have nothing to hide?

Why wear clothes? Most places are heated. Much the same principle.

Cougar

Everyone has something to hide, that’s the point. It’s just that most people’s secrets involve breaking their diet with a cream cake at lunch rather than plotting the fall of Western civilisation.

If you genuinely believe you have nothing to hide, let me know when I can pop round and install CCTV in your bedroom.

dragon
    Free Member

You’ve already put it there, in the form of your phone, web cam, xbox connect, Amazon echo or other device. I’d be less worried about the government (in the UK at least) and more worried what Apple, Facebook, Google, Samsung etc. are doing and that’s before we get into some random cheapo Chinese companies web cam.

Shackleton

Privacy is not the same as secrecy. I sometimes poo. It’s no secret, I’m sure you do too. But that doesn’t mean I want someone watching me do it and then noting down its vital dimensions, colour, consitency and weight.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Well,

1) So what? Guilty until proven innocent now are we?

1)So if you’re not guilty, what exactly are you actually innocent of?.. hmmmm?

2) Are you being serious? Endpoints, cipher types, use of proxies, etc. Honestly, you think atypical encryption doesn’t stand out? When the soviets went dark, all the data in transit was opaque, but the traffic analysis proved revealing (and continues to do so).

Security because of being in the herd and security by obscurity really isn’t an sort of security.

TBH, time and again, it’s been shown that surveillance capability != security.

monkeychild
    Free Member

First rule of security? There is no security!

It’s all about mitigation.

1)So if you’re not guilty, what exactly are you actually innocent of?.. hmmmm?

WTF? I’m going about my legal day to day business.

No doubt those with money (I’m looking record companies, film makers etc) will be looking at this to assist their war on terror watching the Walking Dead a day early.

DrJ

Trump’s core vote doesn’t GAS about end to end encryption

Isn’t a bit worrying to find yourself on the same side as Trump voters?

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Perhaps Mr Corbyn isn’t a silver surfer. Maybe he’s a bit “old-fashioned” and has stuck to a paper-based, one-time-pad solution.

So he’s not bothered AND his communication is almost totally secure. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘HM official opposition?’ is closed to new replies.