Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hive thermostat – anyone have one?
  • prezet
    Free Member

On offer from British Gas engineer to have one fitted for £150. Currently we don’t have a very good thermostat, so heating is either on/off. From people that have one, what do you think of them? Worth the money? The alternative is Nest, but that’s £250 and a bit more than I’d want to spend.

wrecker
    Free Member

House I bought has one. I quite like it, but if you want the app feature, I think you need to be a BG customer. For that reason, I’d go for the Nest.

towzer

we have one (as we needed a thermostat and they had a sale on I think it was 100)

we use with combi (so don’t use the hot water facilities)

imho the only real + over a standard decent programmable is we can turn heating on/off remotely – ie 1hr away we can text or internet the heating on for when we arrive (and turn it off if you forgot)

mind you it’s quite nice being out on the bike wet and freezing and knowing the house has just started warming up as you make your way home…

Flaperon

You don’t need to be a British Gas customer to use the app, it works for anyone. You can’t, however, inherit a Hive that’s installed in a house without buying a new internet hub for it. I don’t know why they have this rule, but British Gas are backwards in many ways.

I had the previous model and found it useful.

TooTall
    Free Member

I’d look for a thermostat that holds it’s settings locally and has remote access. Nest has had a few problems with a software update and houses have lost heating. But I’m old fashioned and like to have control of some things:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/14/fashion/nest-thermostat-glitch-battery-dies-software-freeze.html?_r=0

Dansk1

Does the job, think nest may be more integrated into the googleverse, but that wasn’t a big issue for me. Biggest plus over nest was the thermostat runs on batteries so easier to move when redoing the living room.

disben

I was recently looking at Hive vs Nest vs others and finally settled on Nest.

Was going to buy from a deal John Lewis was doing but in the end got a Nest from nPower for £129 (not installed). Was expecting the 2nd Gen but surprised to get the 3rd Gen.

Think you have to be a Nest customer but it doesn’t tie you in to any specific tariffs.

Its not installed yet, but although their was that glitch a couple of weeks back (which I hope they will have learnt from), I think it was the better solution.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

I have one. Had a few teething troubles when first installed (I think BG underestimated the required server capacity) but no problems over the last year. The new thermostat looks a hell of a lot nicer than the one I have.

Used the app last night to turn the heating on for a 1 hour boost whilst walking home from the pub 🙂

Dibbs
    Free Member

I fitted my (2nd Gen) Nest early last year, the 3rd Gen looks better as it controls water too.
    It wasn’t difficult to fit, but then I’ve been an electician for 40+ years.
    I’ve also got the Nest cam and smoke alarm.

bruneep

Nest works fine now I got rid of our netgear router. Was a issue wih compatibility.

Check your router is compatible with what ever you choose.

andysredmini
    Free Member

The hive I played with was rubbish. I went for a nest the day they came out in the uk and it’s very good. Not a single problem in all that time. Wouldn’t waste my money on the hive. Nest haters used to harp on about hot water control but the new one does that too.

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

I bought a nest because there seems to be more features. I really think the Hive looks nicer though.

I got the smoke alarm and co alarm too. Like the idea of the carbon monoxide sensor shutting off the boiler if it detects.

djglover
    Free Member

I have HIVE2 and its great, the 2nd gen thermostat looks really nice, dead easy to do the settings and great to have the remote feature….

However NEST looks better due to the learning element

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hive thermostat – anyone have one?’ is closed to new replies.