Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Hit and run e-bike
  • chevychase

So, I’m no fan of them – but even I’m a bit miffed that this hit-and-run by an ebike is front page news on the grauniad.

I’m assuming that all the other hit and runs that occur today by cars will be put on their front page?

Anyway.  I’m not surprised that the first ever hit and run on a bike I’ve heard of was an ebiker* 😉

*may not be serious

*may be serious

*pick one of the above and rage suitably 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member
    FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Was his ebike illegal hence not hanging around ?

chevychase

I wonder if the fact that he ran, rather than helped, is down to the fact that cyclists are getting a panning in the press?

If you’re know you’re going to get dragged through the courts for an accident then you’re more likely to scarper.  And with the press looking to jump on cyclists at every opportunity they get…

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of e bikes but surely that part of the story is irrelevant as if the person had been hit by a normal bike at the same speed the outcome would have been the same.

RoterStern
    Free Member

if the person had been hit by a normal bike at the same speed the outcome would have been the same.

well ebikes are generally quite a bit heavier than normal bikes so have more inertia. The story says the bike was found abandoned which would suggest that he was riding a stolen bike which would perhaps explain why he scarpered

stevextc
    Free Member

but surely that part of the story is irrelevant as if the person had been hit by a normal bike at the same speed the outcome would have been the same.

I’m guessing that had the woman hit not been ….

The pedestrian was named locally as Cichane Sakine who arrived in the UK 20 years ago. She is said to be well known within the local Turkish community in Dalston and friends have been visiting her in hospital in Whitechapel.

… etc.

Had she been president of the Dalston pigeon fanciers club … or ‘recently recovered from …’, owned a budgie it would also be somehow ‘relevant’.

hols2
    Free Member

The rider was bleeding from the head and appeared dazed, but left the scene after a couple of minutes, Garba said.

It’s possible he was concussed in the crash.

brakes
    Free Member

The pedestrian was named locally as Cichane Sakine who arrived in the UK 20 years ago. She is said to be well known within the local Turkish community in Dalston and friends have been visiting her in hospital in Whitechapel.

I find the reporting of this information in the article abhorrent. It is purely being included to provoke the reader’s bias.

stevextc
    Free Member

I find reporting this information being used in the article abhorrent. It is purely being included to provoke the reader’s bias.

Worse (IMHO) … it is there to create as nasty a set of responses as possible.

More clicks.. more advertising…. more hatred..More clicks.. more advertising…. more hatred..

colp

well ebikes are generally quite a bit heavier than normal bikes so have more inertia

Only about 10 lbs. My morning dump is more than that, it’s not a big factor when you add in the rider.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Only about 10 lbs.

10 lbs is 10lbs…

but you probably mean Kg instead of lbs…

http://ebiketips.road.cc/content/advice/advice/why-are-electric-bikes-so-heavy-578

Mister-P
    Free Member

But do we know if the rider had emptied his bowels that morning?  He could be full of shit.

colp

Ok, according to that article, worst case it’s closer to 20 lbs added. I weigh about 200, my Capra about 32, so maybe 252 instead of 232?

Overall maybe 10% extra weight.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

But what if someone is a more normal weight, and most people don’t commute on a heavy mountain bike, so the percentage difference is larger…

Drac

What do most people commute on?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Drac

A 45lb lump of pig iron bso in my experience.

Klunk
    Free Member

I’ve only seen 3 e-bikes on the roads this year and all of them have been “chipped”/modded to go faster. It’s going have wide ranging consequences for all cyclists.

dissonance

ultra light weight road bikes whilst wearing lycra and trying to get KOM of course.

As per others cant see the additional weight being worthy of note. My laptop and power brick would easily balance things out.

Question is whether it was modified or not.

Drac

I’ve seen several none appeared to be chipped.

crazy-legs

If you’re know you’re going to get dragged through the courts for an accident then you’re more likely to scarper. And with the press looking to jump on cyclists at every opportunity they get…

I can’t remember who it was who actually wrote this in an article on road.cc (?) a couple of years ago. Hit someone? **** off sharpish. Don’t hang around, don’t give your details.

The piece was tongue in cheek (in fact it had a big disclaimer at the end of it) but it had plenty of parallels with cases where the cyclists had ended up with far more serious consequences than if he/she had been driving a tonne of metal such as fines totally out of proportion with what a driver would get.

stevextc
    Free Member

Ok, according to that article, worst case it’s closer to 20 lbs added. I weigh about 200, my Capra about 32, so maybe 252 instead of 232?

Overall maybe 10% extra weight.

The point being what ???

Are you made of hard metal and welded to the frame ???

DezB
    Free Member

I reckon they’ve been desperate to get someone on that ‘furious driving’ law since the fixie lad killed that woman – that’s why it’s on the front pages.

Cichane Sakine who arrived in the UK 20 years ago. She is said to be well known ….

One of her friends said: ‘We are all praying for Cihan”

Not so well known that they actually know her first name eh?

trail_rat
    Free Member

“The point being what ???

Are you made of hard metal and welded to the frame ???”

I’d assume his point was mass at point of impact rather than weight of the bike.

Entirely relevent to the discussion really unless you frequently “ghosty” your bicycle down the street

stuey
    Free Member

‘Chipped’ more relevant than mass…

Kinetic Energy Formula

colp

Are you made of hard metal and welded to the frame ???

Have we met?

<span style=”-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);”>And I use 5 tens on vaults so pretty much welded on.</span>

DezB
    Free Member

That story links to this one

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/aug/30/police-disgusted-after-bystanders-film-officer-knocked-off-bike

How come when I copper is hit he’s “knocked off his bike”, but everyone else is “in a collision”? Hmm.

stevextc
    Free Member

I’d assume his point was mass at point of impact rather than weight of the bike.

Entirely relevent to the discussion really unless you frequently “ghosty” your bicycle down the street

You don’t need to “ghosty” the bike to separate from it on impact…. after which it’s no longer driving the point of impact.

All evidence suggests being hit by a car with a designed pedestrian crumple zone is better than being hit by the same car with bull bars…

I don’t think the relevance is there but nor do I see why the relevance of the womans’ birthplace is relevant either.

stevextc
    Free Member

Not so well known that they actually know her first name eh?

Good to spot your impressive knowledge of Turkish shortened/familiar names …

What is the familiar for Cichane then ???  

DezB
    Free Member

Erm, is it… Cihan?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Shame by the time you have separated the impacts already happened .

Unless your bike has bullbars (and or a crumplezone for that matter )

medoramas
    Free Member

The bike – an electric-assisted Specialized pedal cycle – was found abandoned

Specialized electric-assisted bikes, of the kind involved in Tuesday’s collision, range from just over £2,000 to almost £9,000

“Yeah, nah… I’ll just leave this cheap bike here…”

stevextc
    Free Member

Erm, is it… Cihan?

Honestly don’t know but I’d put odds on it is 😀

stevextc
    Free Member

Shame by the time you have separated the impacts already happened .

Unless your bike has bullbars (and or a crumplezone for that matter )

Most of my impacts I’ve separated from the bike well before the bike hits anything, with luck I’ve landed on my feet.  Even if that doesn’t happen it’s still rather obvious to most people the two then separate and the mass of the rider is no longer driving the hard object.

This is all self obvious though … the sort of drivel the media want when they mention she’s of Turkish origin or it was an eBike….

Presumably you never picked up a cricket bat, tennis racquet or golf club…. or have seen the difference between letting go on impact and following through ? Breakaway Mass is used to limit impact damage in many fields.  Again, this concept is familiar to anyone ever had to snap a log or knock down a wall etc.  or for anyone who has piled their front wheel into the ground…

As I say, this is just the sort of argument the media want drawing in clicks… pointless defence of opposing parties.

timbog160

Sounds like a nasty injury – let’s hope she’s ok….

rene59
    Free Member

That story links to this one

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/aug/30/police-disgusted-after-bystanders-film-officer-knocked-off-bike

I once gave first aid to a stab victim in a busy city centre street in broad daylight, didn’t think he was going to make it. Two policemen were sitting in their car at the traffic lights in plain view, no other car in front of them yet they sat there waiting until lights went green before coming to ‘help’. People were even running over to them pointing them to the stab victim but they couldn’t give a shit, all they done was call an ambulance that had already been called and told people to move back. If the police want to know why people would rather film them than help, maybe they should look at their own behaviour first.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Daily Mail tick list.

Cyclist

Foreigner! (even if the victim)

e-bike

which clearly doesn’t have insurance or tax

Hit and run (cyclist dazed and went home possibly not realising what’s just happened, but clearly a monster and probably wasn’t wearing Hi-Viz or a helmet).

stevextc
    Free Member

Daily Mail tick list.

It’s not only the DM …. sadly this sort of recipe is par for the course for media companies wanting to create ad-click-bait.

damascus
    Free Member

What the chances of the police not knowing an e bike can be modded and not looking at it before the bikes returned ?

Or even a bigger problem that although it’s modded, you cannot prove or disprove it was switched onto mod at the time of the accident.

What is the punishment for riding a modded bike on a public road?

The current law does not work and is currently being drafted as we speak to rectify this following the fixie incident.

Seems strange he abandoned the bike. Was he wearing a helmet ? Was he injured? Was he dazed and confused ?

It’s going to be an interesting court case.

I hope she recovers

stevextc
    Free Member

What the chances of the police not knowing an e bike can be modded and not looking at it before the bikes returned ?

Or even a bigger problem that although it’s modded, you cannot prove or disprove it was switched onto mod at the time of the accident.

What is the punishment for riding a modded bike on a public road?

There is no reporting it was modded…. but it is something the readers can rage over….

Whether its got a mod in-use or not it’s the same, and its driving/riding a untaxed, uninsured and otherwise illegal vehicle on the roads…

Seems strange he abandoned the bike.

Well not if it was stolen ???  Not that there is anything released on that either ….

Was he dazed and confused ?

According to the grauniad “witness of after the crash” he was dazed and bleeding…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Hit and run e-bike’ is closed to new replies.