Home Forums Bike Forum Hilly road roads — how slow to expect

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Hilly road roads — how slow to expect
  • legometeorology
    Free Member

@intheborders, I think for the routes I’m doing now, elevation can be estimated from the map reasonably accurately.

Today’s route for example, basically consisted of three climbs: 450-2300m, 1100-1550m, 500-1700m, so 3500m total elevation gain minimum.

There were very few notable undulations: I was either grinding for hours, or descending for 30mins. So at most I did 3600m I’d say

dyls

Do you have a power meter – what was your average power?

How much do you weigh?

legometeorology
    Free Member

@dyls, I don’t even have a smartphone or GPS, never mind a powermeter…

Not to say I’m a luddite — I love a Sram AXS setup and a wireless dropper

ampthill

Hilly rides are slow. Even if the descent was a smooth traffic free motor way you never get it back. Its simply because if you double your speed the aero drag resistance force goes up by factor 4.

Once you’re braking into corners you’ve had it. That’s just dumping the work you did into heating the brake pads.

mrbadger
    Free Member

2500 meters of climbing in that distance is more than hilly imo..

Also depends alot on the route. For example, 9000 feet in 90 Miles in majorca going up a huge hour long climb I averaged about 14mph. A rolling course local to me with 4000 feet in 40 miles and lots of short climbs I can average around 18mph

elray89
    Free Member

At the peak of my roadie-ness my best was about 32km/h average on 100km (the Etape Loch Ness, which is kinda flat / rolling with a big climb in the middle). Closed roads and “event mindset” helped with that. I think I did a hilly 180km ride with an average of 28kmh once too.

At the moment I can’t really fathom being that quick again, though I’d like to. So it is all relative. Right now I’d probably be looking at a 100km “flat” route at about 28kmh, and a 100km hilly route under 25kmh anyway.

crazy-legs

Closed roads and “event mindset” helped with that.

Closed roads and group riding will give you an extra 30-50% on your average speed easily.

I did RideLondon (100 miles) in 4hrs on a couple of occasions, so 25mph / 40kph. No way I could do anywhere close to that speed on my own and on open roads!

Right now I’d probably be looking at a 100km “flat” route at about 28kmh, and a 100km hilly route under 25kmh anyway.

Roughly the same for me I think.

legometeorology
    Free Member

I think I am going to have to give external gears a go on this bike again…

I am a bit concerned that Rohloff efficiency losses, while only about 5% on my local Yorkshire routes, have shot on up these 20-30km long alpine climbs

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.