Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • Hillwalking jacket – unicorn and costly?
  • matt_outandabout

All good.

I bought a Rab Downpour Eco from Cotswold after winning a voucher from them anyway.

So far so good, it’s just a touch shorter than I wanted…

robola

@matt_outandabout How are you finding the Rab after a few months of ownership? Looking at one for my daughter.

matt_outandabout

It is OK – does the job, but definitely is not as well cut as my old Berghaus or ME jeackets that precede it.

Pro: Light, v. breathable, so far waterproof, hood works.

Cons: Pockets seem to just collect all the water, quite square cut.

robola

Perfect, thanks. Sounds reasonable for the price.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hood on my ME Rupal doesn’t flap about at all, brilliant jacket. It’s genuinely the first waterproof jacket I’ve ever had that is breathable.

matt_outandabout

Rab Downpour is now 6 months old.

And has started leaking like a sieve across the shoulders….

I have been on only a few days walking with rucksack on over the jacket – and yet the leak is clearly the line of rucksack straps.

Warranty time…

ElShalimo

That’s really bad after such light use

matt_outandabout

And that was perhaps 15 mins of rain. I assumed DWR gone and wetting – but no, my jumper below had matching wet on both shoulders.

CountZero

Wow! That’s really bad, it’s also seeping through along the curved seam where I assume the hood is attached, above the hanger loop.
    I’d be a bit disappointed if a £20 Peter Storm from Millets started to leak like that after six months, but a Rab, I’d be bloody fuming!
    While I don’t wear a rucksack at work, so avoiding pressure points under straps, I’m walking around for nine hours a day, in sometimes dreadful weather, and my regular combination of a Buffalo Special 6 with a £20 Peter Storm over the top to act as a barrier has proved remarkably effective right through the winter, with just surface wetting of the Buffalo, or dampening in fact. What I really need are over-trousers that are actually waterproof. The ones I bought from B&Q are pretty useless, once they get wet, and I have to sit down for a minute or two, I can feel the water seeping through, which is unpleasant, with only another six or seven hours to look forward to.
    Hopefully, if the new wet weather hi-viz jacket I’ve just been issued meets expectations, and there are over-trousers to match, I might be able to leave my Buffalo at home, and stay dry all day.
    I live in hope.

matt_outandabout

So I’m back on this.

I’ll ignore the argument with the shop over actually warrantying it.

I’m back looking for sub-£200 hillwalking jacket (so not a helmet hood), with longer length, pitzips and decent (likely Gore) fabric….

Suggestions?

tjagain

Best I have had are northface and berghaus.  I have a north face jacket with pit zips and good hood.  But it came with a zip in fleece and cost £240 ish

I really think you are after unicorn on a stick with added rainbows

tjagain

Instead of fretting about the hood tho how about using one of these hats?  Its fab.  Much nicer than wearing a hood and works really well until it gets really windy.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/waterproof-trekking-hat-mt900/_/R-p-302968?mc=8526272

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Eh, naw.

tjagain

Mate – they work so much better than hoods.  Ok you still need a hood if its a blowing a gale but the hat gives more protection and you can turn your head without getting a faceful of hood.  I was sceptical but would not go back to a hood now ( obviously I have one but its a foldaway one and I haven’t needed it since buying the hat.)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A good hood stays where it is when you turn your head, your fold away one isn’t obviously up to much, as I’d expect tbh.

A good hood, cinched down to fit properly, with a good peak is better than any hat. In driving rain/sleet/snow/hail conditions I’ll have goggles on anyway, so will have to turn head a bit further.

Wish I’d taken goggles this morning, was a shit load more driving sleet than I expected!.

tjagain

No beer – don’t knock it until you try it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If it works for you, stick with it mate!.

ElShalimo

20 yrs ago these were fantastic in bad conditions and were fleece lined for added warmth. They seem to be available again after disappearing for years

robola

Recently bought a Montane Alpine Spirit, quite pleased with it. Good fit for me, very solid build. I know, not the hood you are after but I found it cinched down quite nicely.

However the DWR coating is utterly useless, used for about 4 hours in admittedly torrential rain and it is almost completely gone. It kept me completely dry from rain but it is dissapointing spending that much on a high end gore-tex only for the face fabric to wet out so early from new. I know DWR has changed recently but I wasn’t prepared for how much.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Waterproof zips don’t last well. Why oh why don’t they use them with storm flaps. Then you would have a jacket that might ot leak at that point.
    Silly me, you wouldn’t buy another if your jacket never leaked would you?

mrb123
    Free Member

Just get a ME Lhotse. Virtually perfect other than body could be a couple of inches longer. That is the modern style though unfortunately.

scotroutes

@ElShalimo – I have (and still use) one of those hats. Yes, it’s 20 years old…

cakefacesmallblock

My Lowe Alpine mountain hat has done 20 years of keeping my head warm and dry now, too. Worth buying if they are as good now.

LeeW

I just ordered one of those Lowe Alpine hats

ElShalimo

@scotroutes – I lost mine on An Teallach years ago. I loved that hat

Woe is me

matt_outandabout

Just get a ME Lhotse. Virtually perfect other than body could be a couple of inches longer. That is the modern style though unfortunately.

For the last 4 years I’ve had the ‘perfect’ jacket.

Staff uniform Berghaus Trek Lite.

Sadly not made anymore, and all of them seemed to get to 4 years and fabric started delamination.

Well cut, long length, nice hood, pit zips, two higher chest pockets.

Berghaus Light Trek Hydroshell Jacket | Review

And for 4 years before that I had Mountain Equipment ProShell of almost identical design, a rare jacket made for outdoor instructors. Again, long, good hood, pit zips, gore ProShell…

BadlyWiredDog

Have you checked out the Berghaus outlet / Sport Pursuit? They had Gore-Tex jackets at half price recently when I looked for a friend. Do you absolutely need pit-zips? Most non-climbing jackets don’t have them, so it’s a bit of a limiter. Personally I’d avoid lighter weight jackets if you hammer kit and maybe look at own-brand, 3-layer fabrics from the likes of ME and Berghaus. The garment designs are pretty much the same as their Gore-Tex kit, but a lot cheaper because Gore-Tex fabrics are expensive.

If you don’t mind something that’s slightly heavy, the Sprayway Torridon reboot is a longer-cut jacket, with pit-zips, pockets, a mahoosive, very effective hood with a peak based on concert hall entrance canopies. They can be had for just over £200 online and are three-layer Gore-Tex. The pocket arrangement is a bit faffy with double-ended zip-entry, but nothing terrible, everything else just kind of works and the whole jacket feels reassuringly solid and protective in a tank-like way. I guess the retro styling’s not to everyone’s taste, but I think it looks kind of cool and it’s not a walking jacket compromised by pretending to be a climbing jacket. I think I mentioned it on this thread months ago, but my long covid fogged brain can’t be 100% sure 🙂 Not GTX Pro, but the fabric’s quieter and arguably nicer in day-to-day use as a result. Drapes better too.

Torridon Men's Jacket

Futureboy77

Someone mentioned the ME Zeno earlier in the thread and that might be a good shout. I use one as a lighter weight waterproof to chuck in my pack during summer and it’s held up to everything that has been thrown at it. Most of the time it’s been worn with at least an overnight pack and it still works/looks as it did when new. I’ve not measured it, but it seems to fit a bit longer than the Lhotse/Tupilak jackets i wear in winter.

Sandwich

I really think you are after unicorn on a stick with added rainbows

MrsToast to the forum, paging MrsToast to the forum!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

As far as hoods go, I’ve never really found any that were comfortable to wear or didn’t get blown off your head by the wind.

However, I bought one of these last year and found it works really well, either for cycling or walking.
    Keeps your head warm and dry and doesn’t get in the way. You kind of forget you’re wearing it?

Waterproof All Weather Head Gaitor

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That looks good, but would be improved if it had a peak.

matt_outandabout

As far as hoods go, I’ve never really found any that were comfortable to wear or didn’t get blown off your head by the wind.

Older Montane, Berghaus, ME and Patagonia were/are superb. But the fashion is for every jacket to be helmet compatible – and that just creates a load of flappy fabric IME.

footflaps

20 yrs ago these were fantastic in bad conditions and were fleece lined for added warmth. They seem to be available again after disappearing for years

Yep I had one in the 90s!

I now have a Rab thing which looks pretty much the same..

csb

@ElShalimo – I have (and still use) one of those hats. Yes, it’s 20 years old…

@scotroutes
    you’re not wrong either of you. I have a 15 year old one. Best hat ever.

MrsToast to the forum, paging MrsToast to the forum!

Was it she who created a magical world that delivered on about 20 conflicting commissions in one fell swoop?

endoverend

Be aware that ME do either the Mountain Fit hood or the Alpine fit hood which differs as an option depending on the specific model – with the Alpine being the helmet compatible one, Mountain HC being nice and close fitting. I have a recent ME Janak (now discontinued) it has the Mountain HC hood combined with an Alpine fit body, its like a Lhotse but has the tougher 80D face fabric all over- but is actually lighter as it has less pockets. Win. Win. It is the most faultlessly perfect jacket I have yet to own, feels bombproof, perfect cut, great hood, pit zips that have never been used…and not too costly at what were run-out sale prices. Pro is bit crinkly but if the cut fits you perfectly its not that noticeable, and it is noticeably more breathable then previous gore versions.

Also would highly recommend the Rab Ladakh for a classic Uk hillwalkery cut rather than full on alpine, with the softer less crinkle cut C-nit fabric with tougher Pro reinforcements on wear areas. Normally a bit more spendy but an underrated model so might come into sales in next few weeks.

scotroutes

I have the ME Shivling jacket with the HC hood. As you say, it’s a good fit sans helmet. I paid £240 and I think it can still be found for that.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, same hood cut as my ME Rupal, works great.

oldtennisshoes

I’ve resolved a lot of hood issues by wearing a cap under the hood.

matt_outandabout

Update: Cotswold/Rab warrantied it, gave me a nice voucher to spend.

Obvs. therefore I am typing this indoors wearing a shiny ME Zeno, hood up of course.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.