• This topic has 34 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by fubar.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Hill walking gear.
  • righog
    Free Member

I have taken a notion to do a bit of hill walking.

To this end I did a bit of research and decided that a pair of Brashers boots were what I needed. I happened to be in Keswick at the weekend and took the opportunity to try some on, the Brashers fit was bloody awful on me as there was way to much boot above my foot, the guy in the shop said much the same, he then pointed me to a couple of other makes and I ended up with a nice pair of Meindl’s .

of course I have done some hill walking in the past but but with a bit of a cavalier attitude to kit, and that was many years ago.

What works well for you ? In particular socks and backpacks, but anything that makes life a little more pleasant on the walk.

Cheers

simon1975

Try not to dash repeatedly from side to side across the path when you notice bikers approaching. And remember to smile, it’s nice out there!

righog
    Free Member

Thanks Simon, I shall try and do that perhaps while shouting ” No bikes on the Footpath.

EDIT: I get out heaps on the mountain bike and I am lucky enough to do it when not a lot of people are around. I have fell out of love with road riding, not enough smiles per mile for me, and was hoping the walking might fill the gap, again this will be through the week when hardly anyone else is around.

squin
    Free Member

I swear by wearing 2 pairs of socks with Bridgedale Coolmax Liners. Sports direct sell them. Wick moisture from your feet and massively reduce blisters.

righog
    Free Member

Cheers squin, I will give them a try, how do they size up ? they are S M L XL ? not shoe sizes ?

dknwhy

Osprey talon 33 for a pack if you can afford. If not, karrimor hot rock 30 is similar in weight and has been great for me.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I sport a misture of alpkit and decathlon for clothing bags etc. I swear by less socks and a closer fittng boots forgot my insoles the other day and didnt bat an eyelid. Salewa boots seem to work verywell for me.

xanboy
    Free Member

+1 on the Osprey Talon bag. I’ve got a Talon 11,22 and 33.
    I’ve got 10 year old Meindl Burma Pro’s and they are still going strong.
    I use Icebreaker socks and most of my tops are either Icebreaker or Howies Merino.
    Get a really good jacket, it’s proper miserable if you get cold and wet. I have a mountain equipment Kalanka it took me a long time to buy a decent jacket, but I haven’t regretted it and I’ve been out in terrible conditions.
    Just remember layers.

righog
    Free Member

Thanks all

How about some beginner routes Cheviots, Lakes and North Pennines to start with 🙂

stevious

Rucksacks: if you’re just day tripping then anything that fits your back OK will do the job. If you’re doing something more extended, get to a good outdoors shop and try on as many bags as possible. The shop should have sandbags to simulate load.

Oh and don’t attach stuff to the outside of your rucksack with little karabiners. Please.

Garry_Lager

In a bit of a hiatus with the hillwalking (kids), but took our 3 yo up kinder last week so hopefully getting back into it.
    I’m on the meindl’s myself and they’re susan-perb. Comfy from day one. Biggest mistake I made with kit was letting an ignoramus sell me an (expensive) pair of ill-fitting walking boots, thinking I’d break them in. Being a bigger ignormaus, I persevered with breaking them in each month for a year until admitting defeat.

I wonder what the score is these days with the big coat. I have a north face one from 12 years back that’s done yeoman service. But it’s v bulky, bit of a pain to carry in changeable weather. There must be lighter ways of staying warm and dry that don’t break the bank.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Wait I thought that was a sign of mountain climbing prowess?

Yak

Kendal Mint Cake.

Staple hillwalking foodstuff. Not at all pleasant when you are not up a hill though.

thegreatape
    Free Member

What works well for you

Sudocrem (although you may have normal legs)

dknwhy

Check out viewranger for routes. Free app is excellent and there are loads of good routes.Trail Magazine routes are free within the month they feature in the magazine.
    App comes free with open source mapping or you can pay for OS maps. If you don’t know already, learn how to use a map and compass. Lyle Brotherton’s Ultimate Navigation Manual is excellent as are his YouTube videos.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I use 1000mile socks, but ‘which socks?’ shouldn’t be an issue if you buy the right fitting boots. When you start out with new boots, carry a small foot medical kit (basically, compeeds and roll of surgical tape). Carry and learn to use a map and compass if you’re going in the mountains and remote places, don’t rely 100% on a GPS battery. A few layers is good advice, even just beanie and gloves can make a big difference, they’re a kind of basic essentials unless the weather is absolutely guaranteed (then sun hat and sun cream are essential). wicking layers, not cotton. good quality waterproof jacket. Use plastic bag/s in rucksack to keep stuff dry. I always carry a vacuum packed emergency bivi bag. food. water. It’s mostly common sense stuff.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Water water water. Its surprisingly dry if you are heading to the peak!

righog
    Free Member

Thanks Nana.. All good advice, I am lucky I read a map pretty well and prefer them to GPS ( I am old ) I will put together a foot medical kit that’s a very good idea, I have made the mistake of carrying on before when I knew something was going wrong with my feet ( a few years back) and I will throw a hat and gloves in my pack.

thegreatape – Member
    What works well for you
    Sudocrem (although you may have normal legs)

The Bog standard MTB issue legs 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s the other end of them where I need it!

righog
    Free Member

thegreatape – Member
    It’s the other end of them where I need it!

Lol, I am not taking a selfie of that bit 😀

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

A really good backpack are the Berghaus Freeflow ones with the large mesh vented gap between the pack & your back. That feature does restrict the internal space but they’re really comfy to wear & do well avoiding perspiration marks on whatever top you’ve got on.
    Otherwise, just get on & do it – don’t splash out on kit you might not need later on.

overbikedagain
    Free Member

Have a look at sport pursuit I’ve got some great boots (bestard) off they’re and various rucksacks/tops

joshvegas
    Free Member

The great ape, have tried lycra under shorts?

luke
    Free Member

With boots it’s worth getting them measured and trained staff such as those at peglers.
    Socks I’ve recently switched to Bridgedale and am very happy although not cheap.
    I’ve had a few Osprey packs over the years currently looking to replace a talon 22 that died after being well used since 2007.

robj20
    Free Member

Osprey Exos 48 rucksack for everything, day walks to weekend camping its so light and comfy i never bother with anything smaller.

Scarpa Manta boots for winter and use with crampons.

Mammut Mercury Advanced GTX boots for the rest of the time.

I always wear double socks, thin coolmax liners followed by heatholders, best socks o have come across they are very soft on the inside and allow the liner sock to move rather than your foot moving in the liner. Never had a blister with this combo even when walking for 3 days solid, they also do them in long for those winter walks.

Also use Superfeet green insoles, makes for a much better foot posture for me.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP on routes there are lots of great little books available second hand on Amazon for a £1-£2. Two of my favourites below plus for the Lake District you have the iconic Wainwright books plus lots of stuff online.

High Peaks of England and Wales (lots of Lake District)
    80 Dales Walks

Footwear is the most important thing, I prefer lightish socks with heel and toe padding. I use Northface books or Approach Shoes (trainer type) depeneding where I am going. I use my a standard backpack (its a skiing one), its enough to carry a windproof and some food or to put any layers I take off in. Maps in large re-sealable foodbags, proper compass. I have a real GPS which I take if we are going far but the phone apps are pretty good these days.

thegreatape
    Free Member

joshvegas yes, or at least something similar, and they are fine

ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

Have tried various socks and always come back to Smart Wool, which though expensive do live a good life if looked after. Avoid Teko, which look similar when new but don’t have the same longevity. Having said that I am also using the Costco wool ones which are fine too and mega cheap.

Any sack above thirty litres will need to fit properly if fully loaded so as above go to a decent retailer who will let you try on the sack loaded and spend some time with it on your back.

If you can’t already, take the time to learn to navigate with map and compass. Use GPS to augment this learning if you don’t have any skilled buddies, and consider a formal course. It’s a great feeling being able to get out at night, in any visibility, snow, etc., knowing you can move safely and will give you a smug glow….

righog
    Free Member

I really like the look of the Osprey Talon 30 and will probably go for that as It has been recommended, but also like the look of this.

Dueter speed lite 30

the reason not just to go for the Osprey is that it’s very light and I have tendency to break things. I am going ( when I get a chance to ) to the mountain center to check them out. Both have the added benefit of being usable on the bike which is a huge bonus for me.

But a couple of the Karrimor ones look like great value for money.

the first one looks old school Scouts, and may be worth me picking up to try and get the kids out as well.

Trail 35

Hot rock 30

jonba
    Free Member

I prefer light fabric boots most of the time. Mine are Berghaus trail lights or something. Rucksack is an alpkit gourdon which is fine if you are only out for a day and moving light – wouldn’t want to carry a heavy load in it as it is fairly basic.

Socks I like are smartwool hikers with a thin pair of coolmax liners.

Something I never thought I’d need/want was a pole but having borrowed one in Iceland and then bought one when I got home I wouldn’t go on a walk without it now. Great for steep descents, dodgy traverses, snow, testing the depth of moorland bogs etc.

ransos
    Free Member

Bridgedale socks and Meindl Burma boots. I’ve trekked all over the world in that combo, and have never had any discomfort. My Rab waterproof jacket is also very good, and the Event fabric seems to be more breathable than Goretex. For easier walks I use Meindl trainer type waterproof shoes, which are also very comfortable.

For day walks, I use a basic Berghaus rucksack, the compartment for a water bladder is a nice touch.

boriselbrus
    Free Member
    righog
    Free Member

If you can stand the colour !

£45 Purple Talon 33

I bought one seemed too good to pass.

slparsons
    Free Member

Bridgedale socks and Osprey/Berghaus Rucksacks for me.

fubar
    Free Member

2 pairs of socks but not at the same time. It’s so nice to pull on a fresh pair of socks late in the day and helps in the final few hours.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Hill walking gear.’ is closed to new replies.