• This topic has 40 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Hiking trousers for the long of leg?
  • Bez

From my attempts at shopping online and in Actual Real Life, it would seem that everyone who goes hiking is required to have the same length leg. I must have non-hiking DNA.

Anyone got any tips for extra long hiking trousers? Bonus marks for autumn/winter suitability, though that seems ambitious when nothing even seems to fit. My daily attire is 36×36″ strides from Next, but hiking trousers appear to be 34″, they fit accordingly (oh, hello socks), and I can’t find anything long enough. Tried Decathlon, tried googling the flip out of everything, Craghoppers don’t make their Kiwis in an XL anymore…

mariner
    Free Member

Gaiters or wellies?

crikey
    Free Member

Revolution Race GPX pants or Nordwand pants; bloody great long legged things.

https://www.revolutionrace.com/6-pants

benv
    Free Member

Keela will do bespoke versions of their kit and alterations for a price if you contact them.

branwell
    Free Member

Haglofs Rugged Mountain trousers come in a long. Spendy… but will last for a long time

ElShalimo

Vaude Farley stretch XL LONG

They are far too long for me. I wear 36″ W34″L. The XL with regular leg fit perfectly

kcal

FWIW I couldn’t find a pair of on trend Fjallraven hiking trousers short enough (or narrow enough) for me. They might be worth looking at. Or do some mix and match.

.. or cut your losses and go for 3/4 breeches – as you implied.

longmover
    Free Member

I have found mountain equipment trousers come up long – 34w 36l

mrb123
    Free Member

Marmot Highland trousers have good length in the leg in the long version.

mrb123
    Free Member

Longmover – what ME trousers do you have? I’ve tried their Ibex pants before but found they come up very short (their “long” leg is a 33″ I believe).

db

Fjallraven Vidda Pro Trousers Long work for me (196cm tall). You can get them unfinished if you want longer. Best trousers I have ever owned

For light weight summer trips I also use Montane Mens Terra Pants Long.

llama

Patagonia do long

ChrisHeath

Some of the Fjallraven trousers (e.g. Barents Pro) have an unfinished leg so that you hem them to the right length, and are super long.

willard

Montane Terra Long are still too short. I have the same problem (take a 34Wx3L in jeans) and, as much as I love my Terra’s they are a touch too short for wearing like a normal person.

Klättermusen tend to be longer, but are still too short, same with Lundhags and Haglöfs; all too short for the likes of us…

Fjallräven do an unfinished leg length that works, I just cough a bit when I see the cost, but that’s about par for the course for tall people. If you go to a shop, you just get sad when you try stuff on.

willard

Added to say that Crikey’s recommendation is great if you are big of waist as well as tall… But I’m a 34″ waist and 1.97m tall. Having to buy something with a huge waist to get the length is crazy and makes me feel like the world’s fattest man on a tour about how they lost weight.

mattbee

‘Only’ a 34” leg with a 32” waist here but I use the Revolution Race trousers for work as they are one of the few brands that have a long enough leg to not look like culottes when I have a harness on pulling the crotch up.

Bez

(take a 34Wx3L in jeans)

Hotpants? Bold move for hiking 🙂

Bez

‘Only’ a 34” leg with a 32” waist here but I use the Revolution Race trousers

Do they seem like they’d cope with 2” longer limbs? And which ones? The range is a little baffling… hard to see what the differences are.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I’ve a 36″ leg.

Had success with Craghopper and Rohan in the past. Rohan used to do unfinished hems way before HebTroCo, not sure if they still do 🙂

mattbee

I think you might be ok with the RR.
    Ive got some GXP Pro, Nordwarden and some soft shell ones.
    Worn normally there’s a good bit of ‘fold’ at the bottom, if that makes sense.
    With a harness on they are pulled right up into my crotch(!) and still sit on/just below my ankle bone.

Bez

So… Managed to get to a Cotswold and they didn’t have much but they did happen to have some Fjallravens (a travel/walking type rather than a hiking/mountain type) in 36 Long, which must be the longest trousers I’ve ever seen, I had to roll them up.

The Revolution Race stuff is tempting me for some reason I can’t quite put my finger on, but I’m still baffled by the designs and the ridiculously over-complicated and under-explained range. As far as the sort of usage I want is concerned, ie ignoring the skiing/running pants, we seem to have:
    – Nordwand
    – GPx
    – Adrenaline
    – Twisted
    – Silence
    – HiBall
    – LoBall
    – Cyclone

In most cases it’s hard to see whether there’s much difference at all, and where there is a difference it can be a bit hard to understand the thinking behind it: eg the Nordwand has stretch fabric where the GPx has reinforced fabric, and vice versa.

Any recommendations for hillwalking and mucking about on rocks for Autumn/Winter? It looks like they all might do the job, but as far as I can see: the Silence’s waterproofed bits might be useful, the HiBall’s insulation might be worthwhile (or might be too much), and the GPx looks like a viable basic option, maybe even with the knee pads. But I dunno…

It’s a shame Decathlon don’t do long sizes, as they had some trousers which were perfect other than length and they were £15—that’d be what I call an easy decision 😀

scaredypants

There you go: buy two, cut the bottom 6″ off one and stitch onto the other

Trizers for hiking in and some “long shorts” for riding in. It’s a win

Bez

I’m trying to visualise the end result in my mind to figure out whether that idea is ridiculous or genius 🙂

ElShalimo

Good idea until you realise that the knees are half way up your though

lunge

Joking aside, look at the hem of the Decathlon trousers, if there’s some spare material then you may be able to have them taken down.

benp1

At least trousers come on a long leg option. Jackets and tops… never!

Haglofs rugged mountain pants will be too short, 34 inside leg here. They’re great on me, perfect length. But would say they’re too sorry

Fjallraven should be good. I thought ME and mammut do very long lengths. Rohan sometimes does unfinished length

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

As already noted , Rohan do a few designs long.

Last time I needed up buying 5-11 Taclite Pro cargo trousers. They’ve got a hanging loop for your baton, and specific pockets for knife and spare ammo. Ever tying you need for an afternoon stroll. They,re poly cotton ripstop and 36 leg though.

Bez

PSA: it’s sale week at Revolution Race and a fair bit of stuff is significantly reduced.

I took a punt on both the Nordwand Pro and the Silence Pro at £53 each. We shall see…

deepreddave
    Free Member

What size trousers in the revolution race for 6’2” 75kg, 34″ inside leg? Looks like L for the leg length but medium for the fit.
    Thanks in advance or I’ll just order both.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Scratch that, good Size chart here.

mattbee

6’2”, 34”/34” 84kg here and happily in a L Rev Race trouser.

BadlyWiredDog

The Revolution Race stuff is tempting me for some reason I can’t quite put my finger on

You have a sub-conscious man-crush on Bear Grylls – my advice is to forget all this legwear stuff and simply go straight to an experienced counsellor 🙂

deepreddave
    Free Member

@mattbee – thanks. Very similar but slightly lighter so have ordered a M as the sizing looked fine. Fingers crossed..

benp1

Interesting, don’t know much about these guys. the kit looks good, if a bit bright!

Matt, did you purposefully go up to an L? I’m 32-34/34 and I would have chosen an M, but wondering if it might be a bit short now

mattbee

Yeah, went L originally as I wanted them for work and I need easy articulation of my legs. Some trousers are too slim fitting and can be a pain (literally), especially behind the knee pads.

Theory was that baggier was easier to put up with than too snug.
    As it stands they are just about perfect, although slimmer on the legs than others I’ve worn the stretch material allows them to move with me nicely.

Nearest comparison I’ve got is a couple of pairs of Crye Precision ‘combat’ trousers used for specific jobs. They are nearer £200 a pair though…

willard

My RR trousers (Nordland or something) turned up last week and I quite like them. They are tighter fitting than my XL Long Terras (ok, just less baggy) and maybe a touch longer in the leg, but they are still far from being as long as I really like trousers.

Still, comfortable, well made and stretchy.

Mattbee… Crye Precision trousers? “Jobs”? uhuh…

benp1

Which do you use effectively for biking?

I’ve been biking in my terras, also XL long, which as I’m more of an M long if the long was long enough are plenty comfy enough to pedal in. Vents help too

My Haglofs troos pedal well too, although Rugged Mountain Pants are too warm for much pedalling.

I’m looking at the RR troos that don’t have any cotton in

Bez

An extra 10% off now, too…

darkplunger
    Free Member

Craghoppers had stopped the XL in the Kiwi, however they appear to have started again, in navy only. I bought two pairs this summer from one of their stores, had to be ordered in. Haven’t been able to buy them for quite a few years.
    5.11 from medtree.co.uk are definitely worth considering. Lots of them available with 36″ leg

Bez

A brief, not-yet-used-them-in-anger appraisal of the RR trousers:

The fabrics differ: the stretch parts of the Nordwand seem significantly tougher than the Silence (which, unlike the Nordwand, is nearly all stretch fabric). The Nordwand seem the heavier-duty of the two and probably the warmer. I went for the Nordwand because the stretch in the backside and knees seemed like it might work for biking if I ever wanted it to, and the Silence because of the waterproof backside, which is always a handy thing on a day walk.

The pockets on both are quite snug, thanks to the tight fit. The leg pockets are on the front of the thigh which feels a bit odd, but won’t be a problem.

Fit felt not quite right at first. My reference point is Next 36×36″ slim fit stretch jeans, which fit me spot on, and I went for the Large in the RRs. They’re very snug around the top end, the Silence a little more so than the Nordwand, but they’re very stretchy; again the Silence a little more so than the Nordwand. Once you’re moving they feel good.

The length is *just* enough. I could use half an inch or so more, but it’s workable: the stretch in both means that the ankles don’t pull up even when crouching. Also I don’t currently have high-top boots, which doesn’t help.

The boot hooks on the front of the hem seem to work well enough, as do the poppers. These are the reason I chose the “Pro” versions of the trousers, as the non-Pro have velcro. The Pro also have ventilation zips in the thigh but I’m not bothered about these.

Overall I think they’ll do nicely, especially at the Black Friday prices. I’ve got a weekend coming up which will involve a day in cold and exposed terrain and another in sheltered but wet terrain and each of them has basically slotted nicely into being ideal for one of those days.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Hiking trousers for the long of leg?’ is closed to new replies.