Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Hiking socks, what's good and what's not?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I treated myself to some new walking boots in the Escape Route sale yesterday. Went to my sock drawer and found my old Salomon socks looking the worse for wear.

Any recommendations for a thckish Merino mix hiking sock?

angeldust
    Free Member

Bridgedale work for me where others don’t. I like the thickest version (used to be ‘summit’). Don’t use anything else now. Other brands either don’t perform as well, or do, but don’t last as long (smart wool for example).

funkynick

We’ve got some really nice Teko socks, which have been the most comfortable and warm walking socks I’ve ever had…

Would definitely recommend them as a brand.

Stoner
    Free Member

Id suggest staying away from Bridgedale.

I used to use them up until about 4 yrs ago, at which point they changed their weaving pattern (at least on the mid weight hiking socks I used), and now within 2mins of putting them on, they’ve shot down by foot and are somewhere around my toes in all my shoes or boots. Utter bobbins now.

I’ve started using Karrimor ones from MikeAshley’sAnArse and Trek and while they are nice and comfortable and stay up well, they shed pills everywhere so the bedroom carpet is a state in between hooverings, and so they probably wont last very long.

So other recommendations in this thread will be noted as I need some more for this summers walking season…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Smartwool.

matt_outandabout

For warm winter ones, smartwool
    For all the time they just seem ‘right’, Alpkit Merino (please make them again).
    For hot n sweaty days, Salomon Coolmax.

#sockgeek

honeybadgerx

Darn tough ones are brill. I used smartwool for 10+ years as I used to get them free from reps and thought they were great. Now I need to buy them myself I tend not to bother with them as they don’t seem to last.

km79
    Free Member

Costco do a merino mix pack of three hiking socks very similar to the smartwool ones for about the same price as a single pair.

ninfan
    Free Member

Ulvang via eBay

footflaps

Mine are all thin Karrimor ones (although they predate Mike Ashley’s ChavDirect empire taking them over).

scotroutes

Don’t like Smartwool. Don’t understand why but they aren’t comfy and cause me blisters. Bridgerule work well and seem to last a while. Mid-weight works for me, except in proper winter.

slowoldman

I use Bridgedale coolmax inners under Thorlo hiking or mountaineering socks (depending on summer/winter boots being used). Never any issues.

jambalaya
    Free Member

To be honest we recently bought some cheap and cheerful ones from Decathlon but we were only walking 1-3 hours and not too strenuous. I am personally very loyal to IceBreaker so if I needed a decent pair I’d buy from them.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

wilburt
    Free Member

Bridgedale IME are very good.

luke
    Free Member

As said I’ve not been happy with recent Brigdale offerings, the Karrimors do pile but for the money aren’t too bad.
    Smartwool or Icebreakers are my current go to.

legend
    Free Member

Point6, the better socks from the guys that starter Smartwool then punted it to Timberland

jools182
    Free Member

Bridgedales for me

I’ve got pairs that are 10 years old, they last for ages, comfy, warm, and fit snugly

chewkw
    Free Member

I have various Bridgedale but when I got toe holes after sometime I just sewed them holes up … 😀

bruneep

I bought from the psa on here, TBH very disappointed in them worn thin after a few wears.

2nds for a reason

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Never found Smartwool to be very long lasting. I’ve been wearing Ulvang socks for a couple of years now daily for work. They get a bit thinner over time but no holes so far.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

After a few years? How long do you expect walking socks to last? I have loads of eBay ulvang seconds and they last as well as anything else

brooess
    Free Member

Bridgedale and Smartwool been good for me. Helps to prevent blisters if you layer up too – a liner sock and then full hiking sock.

I would take your boots to a decent store and try on different pairs of socks to see which give you best fit – all the different brands seem to have entirely different thicknesses which makes online buying something of a random experience

Stoner
    Free Member

I too bought some ulvang after the last PSA, and while theyre comfortable, they are too thin. No shock absorption or volume.

the ebay listing doesnt allow you to pick a thickness, so I have no idea if they do any thicker than the ones I got, as they dont even tell you what model youve bought.

scruffywelder
    Free Member

Bridgedales for me.

Seems socks are as subjective as saddles 🙄

stevious

Smartwool with their black liner socks in there too for me.

Lots of full-on multi day trips in them last year and still going strong.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

At the moment on eBay there are Ulvang socks, some described as hiking and some as everyday. The ones I have bought have been a good thickness, similar to socks I’ve had from Bridgedale etc. For the price I think they are worth a go. I had a faulty pair in the last batch and had no problems with the seller, either they refunded me or sent me more, I can’t remember which.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bridgedales are my default now, used to be woolie boolies but they seem to lose elasticity. BDs are ace.

Stoner
    Free Member

Followup – I thought Id give the Ulvang from eBay another go, as I found the quality of the ones I had on my first attempt good – but just a bit thin.

Postie’s just been and this time I’ve struck gold! I’ve got some nice thick medium weight socks in plain black – just perfect! Simply badged on the sole: “Ulvang Spesial”

It’s frustrating you cant pick the style from the seconds shop, but at 6x pairs @ £8.50 it’s worth the punt.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Got an eBay link Stoner?

Stoner
    Free Member

earwigo
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252061476999

the ones that arrived on the second delivery are the black ones in the first photo.

for my first order, I got the grey ones 6 photos from the left.

And worth noting they are a proper 46-48 size for 12+ instead of the usual 11+ which are too small from most manufacturers.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Thanks for that. If they survive a few days of Wellie abuse they’ll be fine.

Vader
    Free Member

I did a 2500km walk that lasted exactly 100 days and took one pair of bridgedales and one pair of smartwools. I wore them pretty much alternately and washed them through after every use if possible. The bridgedales made it to the end unscathed, the smartwools were ready for the bin at not long after half way.

Edukator
    Free Member

Lidl “hiking” and “running” socks are the best I’ve used. Madame has done a couple of 850km/four-week walks with no blisters whilst I’ve had just one tiny blister each time.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I went with Stoner’s recommendation, they arrived this morning just in time for the overnight snowfall. Toasty toes in my wellies now 😀

Drac

Cheers Stoner that’s socks sorted for this year’s 80 miler.

Sundayjumper

Costco socks here for dog walking. Very good.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Stoners socks arrived this morning, look real good thanks matey!

Stoner
    Free Member

did you guys get the black “Spesial” model or other ones?

(and I cant take credit, someone else on here pointed me in direction of ulvang seconds on eBay first)

deepreddave
    Free Member

Just ordered so will let you know when they arrive. If they’re the grey ones I may be disappointed 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Hiking socks, what's good and what's not?’ is closed to new replies.