• This topic has 29 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by igrf.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Here's a typical 'what should I do' for STW justice.
  • igrf
    Free Member

Not sure why, think it was God speaking to me, but for some stupid reason I took my iphone with me on the early morning dog ride on Monday, sure enough the bloody thing threw itself out of my pocket, I spotted immediately I got back it had gone, so dumped the dogs and re rode my tracks, unfortunately with my youngest off school I’d not gone early enough and by now the kids from the secondary school up the road were already on their way to school, so I didn’t find it.

Got back home, tracked it on ‘find my iphone’ sure enough to the school where it promptly turned itself off and disabled it’s location services, ‘that’s that then’ I said to the breadknife as I set off for work cursing my stupidity. She however rang the school, told them the story also telling them we’d tracked it there and offered a ‘reward’ for its recovery.

In the meanwhile I had to sort myself another, so two days later this morning we get a phone call, an iphone has been handed in, so lunchtime today I go to identify and collect it.

It didn’t have it’s case and it now has a passcode, so until I got it home and plugged it into the computer I couldn’t be absolutely sure it was mine, but in conversation with the reception lady she said, ‘Of course she couldn’t tell me how they came by it’ which I thought was a bit peculiar, so I said well what should I do about rewarding your well meaning pupil in a wry manner, she said you don’t, if you want to make a donation to the school then do so and at that I had to leave because I was late for an appointment up Guildford way.

So I’m now trying to restore it, I can’t get into it because I’m guessing the well meaning pupil tried to flog it, thought better of it or was ratted on by a fellow pupil and thought the reward might be more than the pawn shop, would give.

So my question a) what sort of reward should I give if at all in the face of the fact my case is gone and the contents wiped (it was the contents that were valuable to me at the time, not the bloody phone). Oh and how do you get past the changed passcode (I don’t normally set on, I know, my stupid,).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    Jamie
    Free Member

the early morning dog ride

yossarian
    Free Member

Report it to social services

project
    Free Member

Probaby a golden eagle picked it up, some are fed up with babies.

grantway
    Free Member

I’m with captain on this one

druidh
    Free Member

The school down the street wants less of a reward.

richpips
    Free Member

Google says you can sync your phone even if the password is on.

So you get the data off the phone, then reset phone, and sync again to get your data etc back on your phone.

edit – and the phone will only sync if it has synced with your computer before.

nealglover
    Free Member

Do you not have iCloud automatic backup set to “on” ?

If you do, just restore it to factory setting in iTunes, and then sign in to iCloud and your back where you started.

Took me 10 mins to download all my Apps and contacts and everything else to a new Phone in the Apple Store when they replaced mine.

hammyuk
    Free Member

You should have iCloud on if you have iOS6 so it will be backed up – just restore it from there.

slowmart
    Free Member

Most to the local school

Send the school a thank you letter and say you’ve made a charitable contribution to xxx charity on their behalf. Someone benefits for the right reason.

As for the contents, it’s a painful lesson in backing up your phone. As for getting past the past code do a full restore from I tunes and you”ll be fine. My daughter “forgot” her pass code and it’s a simple process. It must be as I could do it.

igrf
    Free Member

I deliberately haven’t upgraded to the latest software because i didn’t want to loose Google maps, and my last bloody back up was 23.11.11.

I can’t back it up, because it’s locked, I’m having another try without downloading the new software.

igrf
    Free Member

Er has Captain Flasheart lost his mind?

Squidlord
    Free Member

Follow his link, OP!

Made me laugh, anyway.

igrf
    Free Member

OK, done it just about and found another revelation, a female email address keeps popping up after the restore which is obviously that of the lass that must have found it, also explains why it took so long for it to be handed in. Girls can never make up their minds and get racked with guilt then do both things wrong.

So all that leaves is should I or shouldn’t I follow through with the reward.

Co-incidently I hate the school at the moment because they’ve fenced off a bit of my regular ride, they say it’s to do with health and safety we know they don’t like dog exercisers on their extensive and under utilised playing fields so the fence keeps loads of the villagers from entering the top field which is usually my exit on the way to the pub on a Friday and a route used regularly by cross country runners. There was no consultation and the route has been used for the last thirty years that I know of, so giving anything to the school would stick in the craw, so I’m wondering about chancing a little note to the mail address that keeps popping up.

nealglover
    Free Member

Email her and ask her why she messed about with it and caused you loads of hassle when she could have had a reward if she simply handed the phone in when she found it.

Personally I wouldn’t give a reward if that happened to me, she probably got the phone taken off her when the school investigated your wife’s phone call.

seba560
    Free Member

OK, done it just about and found another revelation, a female email address keeps popping up after the restore which is obviously that of the lass that must have found it, also explains why it took so long for it to be handed in. Girls can never make up their minds and get racked with guilt then do both things wrong.

So all that leaves is should I or shouldn’t I follow through with the reward.

I see a touch of irony here. It makes me feel warm inside.

edlong
    Free Member

Is this for real or is it one of those riddle threads. Is it Israel / Gaza again? Do I get a prize?

hammyuk
    Free Member

If the field/route has been proven to of been used for that length of time then it can carry “Parish Green” status – google it….

legend
    Free Member

nealglover –
    Email her and ask her why she messed about with it and caused you loads of hassle when she could have had a reward if she simply handed the phone in when she found it.

I’m going to disagree and suggest that you don’t go emailing teenage girls

nealglover
    Free Member

She could be a teacher at the school, or a cleaner etc etc , he has no idea who it is, it’s just an email address that’s somehow made it onto his phone.

Either way, I’m not suggesting he includes a picture of himself Danger W@nk1ng am I !? 😐

legend
    Free Member

What else would he send??

nealglover
    Free Member

A charcoal sketch obviously.

A photograph would be way too forward for a first email.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

nealglover – Member
    A charcoal sketch obviously.

A photograph would be way too forward for a first email.

Surely it’s inviting her upstairs to see his etchings?

nealglover
    Free Member

Would a brass rubbing to be too much ?

(I’ll leave it there I think 😉 )

wysiwyg
    Free Member

So its all fully restored?

igrf
    Free Member

It’s restored back to the 12th but missing the message I needed about a deal I was trying to close, whatever it’ll either happen or it won’t, I’m over that now.

I think I shall just do nothing.

Then maybe go up there v early one morning with some wire clippers and deal with the fence the old fashioned way.

zippykona

nick1962
    Free Member

you might want to add ” or younger” to that advice to avoid an Ian Watkins scenario.

igrf
    Free Member

Maybe I’ll donate some bibles – they’ll go down well – nothing teachers love more than religion – not.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Here's a typical 'what should I do' for STW justice.’ is closed to new replies.