• This topic has 31 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by tthew.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Hench Bike Lock – cloud funding
  • nelmangle
    Free Member

As a person who has had 4 decent bikes stolen.

A new lock is being developed that requires social funding – i have no personal interest in this product.. just wanted to share it.

wwaswas

cloud funding

[cough]

crowd funding

[/cough]

I like the way it attaches to the frame.

Stoner
    Free Member

so not showing us the stanley knife or cigarette light attack then…

I reckon a sharp knife, out comes the wadding, then a snip on the chain and away.

woody2000

That’s what I thought Stoner – one of those chef’s blowtorches might get through the outer pretty quick though!

almightydutch
    Free Member

Its not going to make me change from using my Almax

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I think the easiest to carry locks are the ones you can wear like a belt – the hiplock or something similar – you really don’t notice the weight so much when it is around your waist.

Jamie
    Free Member

I got as far as the haircut, and had to close the tab.

bikebouy
    Free Member

He states he’ll give up Uni if he reaches £25k..

Whats this with a stanley knife and ciggie lighter?? Never heard of this.

cookeaa

I’m afraid it Breaches my most fundamental rule of investment…

Under no circumstances am I allowed to provide any funds that may find their way to 2nd tier Wannbe Hipsters…

Oh Dear…

Sorry Felix, please re-apply when you’ve ceased being a ridiculous excuse for a human being… And have a better idea.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

So it’s some Kevlar and a chain…

I’m with the above. Cut the Kevlar wadding out and snip with croppers surely.

annebr
    Free Member

To design a secure bike chain you need to think more like a thief than a hipster. :-\

bigblackshed

I quite like the idea of making it fit as a top tube pad. But then you still have to carry a great big padlock around in the pocket of your sister’s jeans. I think Hiplok cornered the market with this type of lock.

And he needs to work on his arms if he’s going to test it to destruction with bolt croppers. He could hardly pick them up, let alone use them. #BloodyStudents.

cookeaa

you are all missing the point its not that its a particularly effective lock, it’s that he’s made it look like a top tube pad, to appeal to London Hipster types (well London hipster types living in about 2011)…

I think the best theft countermeasure he has actually come up with is his utterly crappy looking bike TBH…

£25K?!??! to develop a chain wrapped in fabric???

FAAAACCCK ORRRRFF You dirty little chancer!

Take your BSc, Get a hair cut and some grownup clothes and go and find a proper job….

Jamie
    Free Member

Heh…we’re all old 🙁

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I’m really not sure that picture of him and his lock is a good advert…. If he is only prepaired to lock up that bike with his “invention”

I’m out

cr500dom
    Free Member

If It had a Kevlar/ Nomex outer braid it would work much better, as it is I don’t see it surviving a cut / part fibres / bolt cropper attack

unovolo
    Free Member

That chain looks pretty thin to me ,I think someone who is more than 3 stone(2 stone without Phil Oakeys flick) would get through that pretty sharpish with the bolt cutters he was using.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I saw video and thought the same
    Remove kevlar cut chain

geoffj

I can forgive the lifestyle factors, but £100 contribution for a lock?
    😆

Jamie
    Free Member

I can forgive the lifestyle factors, but £100 contribution for a lock?

You could buy a lock for that.

gary

tooling costs for all of the separate parts will add up to a few thousand, and everything left will pay for an initial order from the manufacturer.

With a rock solid business plan like that, how can he fail 🙂

jimilindley
    Free Member

So everyone is suggestong cutting or burning the kevlar? There’s a reason kevlar is used in slash/stab proof vessts. Also kevlar withstands up to 850 degree s c

Junkyard
    Free Member

are you suggesting kevlar is uncutable or that after the video the chain was not exposed and easy to crop?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Fart about witbt the kevlar as much as you want I am gunning for the lock and he angle grinder!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hey, it’s not a totally bad idea and props to him for trying on KS, making a prototype and testing it on camera etc.

BUT:

Pretty sure that you could remove that Kevlar wadding as step 1, and then

Step 2:Massive bolt croppers wielded by ginormous man who uses them correctly

would remove the chain.

So.
    4/10.

People slagging him off for being a hipster really should go outside more. Like you were never a “cool dude”?!

I might send him a pair of bar end plugs, though, instead.

pdw
    Free Member

He’s not getting my money, but…

If you can build a lock that requires two different tools to defeat, you shift yourself a notch up the more-hassle-than-the-next-bike scale, which is what you need to do to beat the opportunists. This lock may achieve that at a reasonable weight, and having a reasonable way to carry it on the bike is certainly a good thing.

If you want to see how to use bolt croppers properly, have a Google for the Almax test videos. Nothing that you can be bothered to carry on a bike is going to trouble Mr Almax and his 42″ croppers. Fortunately, most opportunists can’t be bothered with 42″ bolt croppers.

lemonysam
    Free Member

If you can build a lock that requires two different tools to defeat, you shift yourself a notch up the more-hassle-than-the-next-bike scale, which is what you need to do to beat the opportunists. This lock may achieve that at a reasonable weight, and having a reasonable way to carry it on the bike is certainly a good thing.

Don’t worry, someone could start a kickstarter project which locked your bike by encasing it in 2 tons of carbonite and the first ten responses would still be a mixture of complaints that the lock is vulnerable to a JCB mounted pneumatic drill and comments about the designer’s hairdo.

lornholio
    Free Member

I might send him a pair of bar end plugs, though, instead.

Send him a rear brake too while you’re at it.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Send him a fixed wheel so he doesnt have to pretend anymore.

gazc
    Free Member

he’s got a good idea for attaching to the bike, but the effectiveness of his chain/lock mechanism isn’t any better than anything on the market. maybe he just needs to re-market it as a top tube mounting lock and forget about it being indestructible (to be fair who on earth would nick his bike anyway?)

IA

I’ve never had a secure bike lock that I can carry without needing a separate bag, and that doesn’t make my bike look terrible

tthew

Seems like a good idea to me, particularly if that’s a good quality chain inside the kevlar, though I’d still wear it it carry in a bag. Looks worse on the top tube.

However, retail’s going to be 40-80 quid, or you can get the kickstarter one for 100. Hmmm. Didn’t pass the marketing module of his course clearly.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Hench Bike Lock – cloud funding’ is closed to new replies.