Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Hemlock vs SLX double front mech, anyone else?
  • Northwind

OK, so. I have a 2009 Hemlock frame, and an SLX double front mech (top swing). I've got one of these on the Soul and it's been perfect but on the Hemlock, it doesn't seem to have enough swing- I've got the high limit screw completely backed off but it still won't clear the chain in top gear- the mech's right at it's limit.

So, looking at it… I've got one spacer on the driveside of the BB (it's an SLX triple crank converted to double) for the Hemlock's 73mm BB shell, which I'm sure's right. Cy recommends a conventional pull mech for the hemlock, presumably because the seat-tube/BB shell weld could foul a top-swing but that doesn't seem to be an issue here as I need to run it slightly higher anyway for the bashring. The mech isn't fouling on anything and seems to be straight.

I'm a bit annoyed at it so considering just replacing it, but I'm wondering if the same thing will happen if I fit a conventional SLX mech. While googling around I found this in the SLX mech description…

"Specifically developed for 68 and 73 mm bottom bracket shells with a 46.8 mm chain line"

So I'm wondering if this is a compatability issue? I can't find details on the hemlock's chainline but it does seem to tie in with what I'm finding on the bike, so I'm thinking that maybe the hemlock has a 50mm chainline and so the mech's just not got the shove it needs?

rob2
    Free Member

this isn't a help but I've got an xt low fit one and its fine on my hemlock if you want to try one, but I get a similar problem as you on my soul but can't get it to drop into the granny ring.

It might help but use no spacers on the bb. Don't know if that's a no-no but I do on one of my bikes and its fine

rob2
    Free Member

that's no spacers on the hemlock not the soul

Northwind

Yeah, I think that'd sort it but the rings would be very close to the swingarm. Though actually that might prevent chainsuck, as it is there's just barely enough space to get the chain stuck which is probably the worst of all worlds! Maybe something to try (or a narrow spacer, and one on the other side just to move the cranks over)

Rickos
    Free Member

I had the conventional SLX double mech on mine and it was fine. So, sorry, can't really help.

rob2
    Free Member

I put some zip ties on the chainstay just in case and never had a problem.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Hemlock vs SLX double front mech, anyone else?’ is closed to new replies.