Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Helvellyn
  • Stranger
    Free Member

Quick question for you Lakeland experts.
    There are two bridleways marked on the map heading down Helvellyn to Thirlspot
    They both start near the top and rejoin in Fisher Gill.
    Is either one better than the other coming down?
    Thank you

Wally

Don’t know, but I nearly came a cropper on an icy/snow capped striding ledge one ill advised January when I was 18 with a local lass. I kissed the ground and vowed never to be so silly again.

bren2709

Wally – Striding Edge.
    Stranger – have done Helvellyn from Patterdale and Glenridding a number of time but never from Thirlmere side. Cannot see there being a problem with both being Bridleways but looking at the map think I’d go for right track when it splits taking you over Whiteside.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

The more northern of the two is easier to navigate: sticks pass. The other, via brown crags, is harder to pick up on the ground. The better option would be down to wythburn church; more fun than either of the other options.

Stranger
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Parkedtiger – Wythburn Church sounds interesting – looks steep too.
    How does it compare with something like, say, Snowdon Ranger?

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Much shorter but lots of fun – there’s a nice mix of natural stuff and some tricky fix-the-fells steps. It’s certainly the more challenging of the three bridleways.

Stranger
    Free Member

Sold to the man in the yellow helmet.
    I’ll see how it flows on Saturday.
    Thanks!

Ben_Haworth

What Parkedtiger said.

twelveski
    Free Member

Did this on Sunday and all I will say is that it was one of the best days riding I have ever done in the UK.

jekkyl

thanks for the route twelveski, wanna give us a bit of ride report?

postierich
    Free Member

was you walking your bike on the downhills max speed 8.9mph?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Helvellyn’ is closed to new replies.