Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • HELP..Sweaty Sports/cycling clothing??!
  • bones76
    Free Member

Is it time to replace some of my cycling jerseys??!!

OK so i have had some of these for a few years but they are usually washed pretty soon after a ride or training session but i have noticed that they are starting to smell a little more frequent and more quickly than they used too and i don’t consider myself to be a over sweaty person even when really working out!

Now the clothes are washed in non bio persil tablets and usually at 30 degrees though sometimes i have by mistake had them on at 40 degrees too but neither these days seems to make any difference.

The GF says it could be the washing machine as it is a few years old and a friend said to add a table spoon
    of vinegar to kill certain odours but nothing is working.

Perhaps it is time just to replace but wondered if any one else out there had some good tips to stop my kit from humming!! 😆

rene59
    Free Member
    bones76
    Free Member

Thanks for the tip i shall order some and give it ago…Nothing to lose!!

beej

Vanish oxy-action extra hygiene is another option – Sainsburys sell it. Green tub I think, rather than the pink one.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Halo sports wash is great, and they sell it in my local Sainsburys

dabble
    Free Member

Liking the look of that, I have the same problem as the OP, some of my older kit is ridiculously stinky at times.

bones76
    Free Member

Will add to shopping list and get when i go shopping some time next week!!!

Am glad am not the only one who as encountered this…It’s no good when you go on club runs and your kit smells!! 😯

IHN

Napisan. Find it in the baby stuff aisle

maccruiskeen

If non of those do the trick you could maybe employ the services of an exorcist.

Militant_biker

I ‘retired’ an old shirt because it got too stinky too quickly, but I didn’t want to throw out (96 or 97 Mint Sauce one!). Popped it in a drawer and forgot about it; after a few years it ‘recovered’ and is back in rotation now.

petrieboy

I bought this bamboo cycling jersey back in the spring and it became my default top. Never stinky even on days where I did 3hrs into work and 3hrs home. It was so comfortable I decided to wear it for ironman instead of a trip suit. Bargain price too
    http://www.bambooclothing.co.uk/store/show_product/MZ187-LGY

jonba
    Free Member

I occasionally (maybe once every 12months) put things through a hot was >60°C. Seems to work. Worth a try if the alternative is binning them. I assume the special washing powders have sort of antibacterial agent in them?

Also, fabreeze?

oldnick

Bio washing powder sorted out my stinky cycling gear, just don’t use it on anything with a breathable/waterproof membrane as it is kills them IME.

Base layers, shirts, shorts, summer gloves and ‘normal’ socks all fine though 🙂

maccruiskeen

Bargain price too

Not really – ‘bamboo’ is just common or garden synthetic rayon / viscose. Its typically used as a cheap filler or alternative to cotton. Calling it bamboo on the swing ticket (even if it still says viscose on the care label) is just a way of trying to attract the premiums associated with merino to a stock standard industrially produced fibre.

bigant

Soak for an hour in a solution of bicarbonate of soda before washing. Usually good for a few rides. Second the bio washing detergent too. I’m fat and sweaty and live in a hot climate and it works for me …

yetidan
    Free Member

I had some short lasting success with vinegar and/or bicarb but the smell came back pretty fast.

Recently tried some dettol anti-bacterial cleaner which you use instead of softener and it seems to have done the trick – smells a bit hospital-y but that’s fine. I also found ironing the pits of any clothes that can be ironed (unfortunately not most base-layers) seems to help kill the nasties.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Spray with white vinegar and leave to soak for at least 30 mins then wash in halo

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Using non bio is your problem. Just use bio and problem goes away. Been was all kinds of gear in it for years and never had problems

mikewsmith
    Free Member

30c??? Mistake at 40c? All mine go through at 40 and occasionally get a 60c wash. No real issues.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

The GF says it could be the washing machine as it is a few years old and a friend said to add a table spoon
    of vinegar to kill certain odours but nothing is working.

Defo make sure the filters on your washing machine are clean, esp if you’re using liquid rather than washing powder. White vinegar in with your normal washing liquid works a treat. Make sure it’s white / distilled vinegar though – not the stuff of put on your chips! That could create an altogether different problem…

clubber
    Free Member

My wife always complained about the same as the op. Halo has sorted it. It’s good for kids’ stuff too 🙂 vomit, crap, etc 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Asda sell a cheaper sports wash liquid, not tried it though.

lerk
    Free Member

ISTR reading somewhere that the best killer of the smell inducing bacteria is UV, hence pegging gear out on a washing line isn’t only giving them a blow through – the sunlight kills the bacteria and the smell.

I know the majority of the time my gear gets whacked through a tumble drier cycle as it’s normally dark when they’ve been washed… I do make a point of pegging out every so often though.

Twin
    Free Member

Tesco do an own brand ‘expert’ sports wash at about £3 a bottle, works really well. They also do liquid soap flakes for £3 which is great for washing waterproofs and about a third of the price of nikwax tech wash (which is liquid soap).

Frankers
    Free Member

Highly recommend Halo wash too, most of my non merino tops spelt a bit fiffy around the pits but all smell good now

Dibbs
    Free Member

Another vote for Halo here, I’ve been using it for a few months since someone recommended it on here and it really works.
    £2.99 in Sainsburys BTW.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

If stuff gets too stinky, put it in the freezer overnight. So long pong.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Defo make sure the filters on your washing machine are clean, esp if you’re using liquid rather than washing powder.

Why is that?

ninfan
    Free Member

most of my kit gets an occasional overnight soak (once or twice a year maybe?) in a bucket of napisan, then a normal wash followed by a treatment with nikwax polar proof for any winter outer kit like bib tights, fleece etc.

that routine has done me fine for the last twenty years..

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘HELP..Sweaty Sports/cycling clothing??!’ is closed to new replies.