Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Help with my Bear project.
  • organic355
    Free Member

No nudity here, teddy bear…

So I decided I am going to have a go and make one of these for our nursery, as the original costs too much and fancy a challenge.

So I took the photo and traced over it in AutoCAD and scaled it up to the right size when printed 1:1 to use as templates. I will probably try in cardboard 1st or cheap plywood and use the plywood as templates for the finished material.

Problem I am having is how do I work out how “deep” the slots/gooves need to be other than trial and error? any pointers?

camo16
    Free Member

Neat!

I can offer absolutely no help whatever, but I applaud your effort.

nedrapier

You just need to pick the midpoint half way up, cut slot up to that point on the ones parallel ot the wall, and down to that point on the perpendicular two.

or wot?

wwaswas

have a look at this (and similar pages) on model boat hull construction;

http://www.shipmodeling.ca/aa10077.html

very similar techniques to what you’re doing.

organic355
    Free Member

You just need to pick the midpoint half way up, cut slot up to that point on the ones parallel ot the wall, and down to that point on the perpendicular two.
    or wot?

I was thinking that, but thought it can’t be that simple can it?

I wasn’t sure if you find the midpoint of each piece, but only cut down a quarter of the way, and a quarter of the way on the sideways pieces at the corresponding point?

Guess I will have to try with cardboard….

EDIT: no thinking about it is half way isnt it?

nedrapier

Don’t forget the effects of perspective in that second photo.

It appears that the bottom of the face shapes are aligned, but they’re only aligned with the point of view of the camera lens. You can see that on the photo from the side. This will also mean that if you take this photo as your pattern, the shapes will get progressively smaller, relative to the original, the further back they go.

Edit: Compare the side profile in red in the middle of your first autoCAD screenshot, produced by stacking the shapes traced from the front, with the profile in the 1st photo. You’ll end up with something looking more like a polar bear. Might look a bit less cuddly!

nedrapier

no thinking about it is half way isnt it?

Yes!

Well, it doesn’t need to be, but it’s easiets and best. You could do one quarter and three quarters, five eigths and three eigths, or even 3/4 and 3/4, and use glue to hold in place.

organic355
    Free Member

What do you reckon I should make it out of 9mm MDF?

thinking of spraying it bright orange or yellow, so not to bothered about surface finish, but how is mdf to work with to get nice edge finishes?

wwaswas

mdf is a nightmare to get a smooth edge on without filling – it’ll always look ‘rough’ compared with the main surfaces.

you’ll have the same issue with plywood though.

And if you use solid wood as thin as the example it’ll tend to warp over time.

that didn’t help really, sorry.

organic355
    Free Member

thinking this may look good, even unpainted

exterior plywood birch

http://www.wickes.co.uk/exterior-plywood-birch-65x1220x2440mm/invt/164521/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Help with my Bear project.’ is closed to new replies.