Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • help with Coast2Coast training plan
  • ElShalimo

I’m thinking of trying to do the Coast2Coast in late summer so need to start thinking about training for it. Currently I can do 30-40 mile road routes okay but I don’t have the fitness to do this day after day.
    Does anyone have any ideas of sensible way to keep increasing mileage up to a point where I’m fit enough to do the route?
    Also, I tend to suffer from a sore arse after 1 day in the saddle so not sure what the best way is to cope with 3 or 4 long days. Any ideas what to do?

allthegear
    Free Member

Which coast to coast? Do you mean the sustrans route?

Rachel

ElShalimo

Oops, the St Bees to Tynemouth version but open to suggestions on the other options as long as they stay on the road.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

How many miles do you intend to ride each day?

How much time per week can you dedicate to getting in shape for this?

Can you use the bike to commute?

As for the sore arse. You are wearing proper good quality shorts aren’t you? Have you tried chamois cream? Tried different saddles?

neninja
    Free Member

If you are doing the Sustrans route and can ride 30-40 miles currently you’ll be fine. A mate did it last year in 3 days and he’d only been riding a bike regularly for a couple of months.

The more often and the longer you spend riding will help with the bum pain. Having recently had a few months off the bike due to injury it was sore when I started riding again but after only a couple of weeks all is now well.

ElShalimo

I was thinking 4 days so 3 B&B stops. My wife says 4 days but if we feel good we could try to do it in 3
    It’s a Tricross bike, I’ve got decent shorts but I’m a wimp. I’ve played with a couple of saddles but still can’t get it just right.
    Commuting is really not an option so I need an evening and weekend fitness plan

bigdean

When i did the off road one (st bees to robin hood bay) was doing at least 3 30 milers a week plus as much peak riding as possible including 3 days i a row around lady bower ranging from 6-8hrs out time.

Best experience ever i but did everything wrong, small bike, trainers, road block and mech.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I did the Workington to Sunderland route in one day (10.75hrs rolling, 15.5 actual) and my ‘training plan’ was just to ride regularly and often, upping the mileage gradually til i could ride a 100 mile route.

Good luck and remember its supposed to be fun!

butcher

Yeah, I wouldn’t say you need a training plan as such. I see people riding it who look like they haven’t been on a bike since they were 12. And there they are on their Tesco full suss….seriously.

There are some pretty serious hills however. Many people do walk them! Depending on what you’re used to, they may come as a shock. Or they may not. You’re traversing some of the highest points the country has to offer without getting into mountain territory. If you’re on a road bike you might want to think about gearing.

Just ramp up the miles best you can. If you’re pushed for time, I find even a 20 minute fast-paced ride out on an evening can do wonders for fitness. Get a longer ride in when the weekend rolls around and you’ll be good to go.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘help with Coast2Coast training plan’ is closed to new replies.