Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Help with an idea…
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I love tinkering with my MTB stuff, building and buying cheap parts and finding bargains etc, I’m a bloody nightmare.

I was thinking, instead of constantly faffing about with my own parts trying to set up something like an eBay shop or a little website for selling and buying parts maybe (a bit like flat out cycles)

I really don’t know what to do, just thinking I might be able to earn a little bit of money for my hobby.

Any ideas?

Rorschach
    Free Member

You are not the first to have thought of it.
    I assume you have seen the whining that goes on,on here about stuff breaking/wearing out/being wrong colour/not fitting etc? Now imagine if that was directed at you….personally.

kayla1
    Free Member

It’s a PITA and there are too many people already trying to do it. Plus, making your hobby into a job (kind of) sucks the fun right out of it.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I can live with that, I’m an honest enough person to deal with it, sold around 1000 things on eBay at 99.4%

mikewsmith
    Free Member

keep going with the ebay thing? The big question really is how much are you making from it and how much would you need to ramp up to make some money?

mcnultycop

1,000 items, are you a trader?

kayla1
    Free Member

Quick, hide, the internet police is here.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Nope. My mrs has sold a lot of stuff too to be honest, just had the account for ages.

Also toyed with the idea of hunting for eBay bargain full bikes and breaking them up, refurbing, cleaning and servicing the parts for resale?

kayla1
    Free Member

Give it a go then, what’s the worst that can happen? You don’t need permission to try 😀

fd3chris
    Free Member

If it doesn’t destroy your love for the hobby then do it. Years ago I got into a car body shop to learn the trade and after six months I couldn’t face tinkering with my own car at the wkds.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Hmmmmm. Cheers all. Think I’ll start small and see how I get on rather than launch into it feet first.

kayla1
    Free Member

It will suck the joy out of cycling if it turns into a 24/7 ebay shop.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Don’t forget to factor in your time.

Sourcing bikes
    getting them to actually turn up.
    stripping them.
    Cleaning them.
    noting any cosmetic/functionality details.
    Photographing
    listing all the above for each and every part.
    packing.
    posting.

Thats a fair whack of your time for how much money per bike?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Help with an idea…’ is closed to new replies.