• This topic has 26 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by myti.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Help! Unidentified creaking from my Saracen Ariel
  • myti
    Free Member

For the best part of 2 months now i have had a metalic creaking, tapping noise coming from somewhere around the drive chain area but only when pedaling and worse when pedaling is difficult (steep or high gear). It happens in all gears. I’ve changed the bottom bracket for a new one, i’ve swapped pedals, tightened the main pivot point to no avail. It’s driving me mad. Any suggestions would be much welcome.

3dvgirl
    Free Member

make sure drop out hanger is bolted up tight.

scruff
    Free Member

Cables can creek in the stops.

rotary
    Free Member

you dont have a ks dropper post on it by any chance do ya?

tmb467
    Free Member

Loose chainring bolts

dry skewer

Seatpost creaking

Many many causes – alternatively just replace it under warranty

sugdenr
    Free Member

Try some liquid maintenance – i.e. spray everything with WD40*

*this may not actually be a good idea

white5pot

I had a similar creak on my Intense Carbine SL. Over a period of about 4 weeks I virtually dismantled the whole bike – Pivot points, cranks, bottom bracket, seat post, saddle, headset, brakes, pedals, mech hanger etc etc. I was at the point of jumping up a down on it and putting it in a skip when just by chance I put in another rear wheel and hey-presto the creak was gone. It turned out to be the rear hub – Although the hub was not loose, it just needed to be tweaked! Regardless to say, I am now back in love with my Carbine.

myti
    Free Member

you dont have a ks dropper post on it by any chance do ya?
    No it’s a reverb.

Many many causes – alternatively just replace it under warranty
    It’s a self build.

Will try all the other suggestions thanks.

rotary
    Free Member

the only reason i ask is the exact same thing happened to me on my ariel and it ended up being the seatpost, sorry cant help you further

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Any suggestions would be much welcome.

Ride with someone with an Orange, it will drown yours out.
    HTH.

Northwind

There’s a really easy fix for this and believe it or not, all you need is an old spoke. What you do is, put the bike in a workstand, hold the spoke tightly by the j-bend end, then poke it in your ears.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

thanks NW, keyboard now full of coffee….

iamroughrider
    Free Member

seat/seat post rails – sending vibrations down the seat tube to the bb??

Nobby

The creak that took me longest to find was the rear mech hanger.

Phil_H

The intermittent creak on my five turned out to be not enough grease far enough down the seat tube, I used to only grease the seat post rather than the seat post and seat tube so most of the grease would be scraped off when I inserted the post into the frame.
    It drove me batty chasing that creak round the frame.

myti
    Free Member

Would it not creak wether pedaling or not if seat/post related?

rotary
    Free Member

The intermittent creak on my five turned out to be not enough grease far enough down the seat tube

that was the issue with my ks dropper, it had ran dry and just needed a bit of lube.

myti, guess the only way to tell is to try another seat post, you put different stresses on the seat and post when pedalling.

myti
    Free Member

Great will try greasing my post then

project
    Free Member

seat/seat post rails – sending vibrations down the seat tube to the bb??

had the same on my trek, it was the rails a bit of sandpaper and some oil,make sure the rails bed down into the slots, on the pillar cradle.

Trekster

Found the cause of mine when removing rear wheel and cassette fell off!
    Broken axle on Hope hub 🙄

myti
    Free Member

[quote Found the cause of mine when removing rear wheel and cassette fell off! Broken axle on Hope hub
    I had that happen to me not so long ago…

andylc
    Free Member

I had the same problem recently, though it was from headset or BB. Turned out it was the rear shock bushings. Removed, greased up and replaced and all was fine.

sugdenr
    Free Member

I thought I has a creaky seatpost, turned out to be a crack in seat tube between clamp and top tube

steelyrider
    Free Member

Had a creak a while back sounded like it was coming from the bottom bracket, cleaned it greased it, tightened it etc.

Eventually found the cause by accident, turned out to be the QR on my Reba’s. If I tighten it too much bike creaks like hell.

thejesmonddingo

Pedal bearings can do it too.

iolo
    Free Member

It might be a crack. They creak a lot under pressure.

myti
    Free Member

Defo not seat or post related as creaks when standing and pedaling…I’m thinking it must be pivot bearings.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Help! Unidentified creaking from my Saracen Ariel’ is closed to new replies.