Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Help the novice – 700c wheels on a 26er frame – V brake adapters?
  • saladodger
    Free Member

Had a kona hybrid frame and some 700c’s lying around so thought about building up something for Tarmac. Being a newbie to all this I soon realised the problem of the canti’s not lining up……doh.
    I have googled this and found references to a mavic adapter and something similar which costs £40 to have shipped from the US.
    Is there a solution /adapter that anyone can suggest.
    Thanks in advance y’all.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Pass. But i have got road brakes to reach 700c rims in a mountain bike before….

funkrodent

Not sure, but sounds like a lot of faff to me. And I would have thought that the consequence factor would be quite high should the components / your mechanicmanship prove to be of insufficient quality. I can think of an awful lot of things on a bike that I’d like to fail before the brakes (and having once – incredibly, incredibly stupidly – put my wheels back on the road bike without readjusting the calipers afterwards, I know what it feels like to brake and have absolutely nothing happen 😯 ).

Given the cost of getting the component I’d just shop around for some half decent 2nd hand 26″ wheels and take it from there

saladodger
    Free Member

Cheers both, I am edging towards simply 26’s with slicks but couldn’t believe in the age of gadgetry that this hadn’t been ‘solved’ and that the solution wasn’t easily to hand.

The frame is a kona hybrid so the use of 700’s seemed a good one in principle but…..

Keep any ideas coming folks….

doof_doof
    Free Member

saladodger
    Free Member

Shows how much of a novice I am when I say that I’d only ever seen something similar for front forks of the Pace variety! Where are these sourced s’il vous plait?

harvey
    Free Member

hi, i have 700 wheels on 2 old kona mtg titanium frames , it makes a great cycle cross / adventure race / touring bike . i used a mavic adapter to start with, which worked really well. i may still have it lying about if you are interested. now i have adapted the v brakes with a wee aluminium extension which is a faff to make but is quite elegant looking and works really well.
    i should also add that the 700 wheels roll much better that 26 on the road

doof_doof
    Free Member

I believe they’re $60 from http://www.evolutionbikeco.com/brakes.html

Not the most economic solution.

Or shim some Identity ones, aint pretty though:
    https://leagueofbikepolo.com/bike/mario-g/scourge-of-god

sanername

FMF and Paul Components both make v- brakes that have enough adjustment in the height of the pads to be able to reach 700c rims from 26″ brake mounts.

mtbfix

I have had a pair of what I might call brake booster style adaptors sitting in the garage gathering dust since I bought them a decade ago. Might be we can sort something out. Where are you?

epicyclo

These are all you need for differing rim sizes. Get the BMX version because the other version isn’t so adjustable.

Paul Component Engineering brakes

the-muffin-man

If you have some spare disc brakes, you can pick up a new pair of 700c disc wheels on eBay for under £80.00.

saladodger
    Free Member

Harvey and mtbfix – could ya mail me pics of what you have? Mick dot hiner at btinternet.com

Cheers

greatbeardedone
    Free Member
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Help the novice – 700c wheels on a 26er frame – V brake adapters?’ is closed to new replies.