Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Roadies – Where do you put your pump ?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

less of the “ex” brooess ….. i actually came through audax channels where all of the above and worse are allowable.

still remember my first road ride with new club on a saturday winter ride where i turned up with my caradice on – because my winter bikes my commuter and i got berated by the ride leader for doing so….

traildog
    Free Member

I carry mine in my back pocket, but if I didn’t fit and I didn’t have a bracket I would use an other water bottle. And if I wanted to use two water bottles then I’d just strap it to the top tube using something or other (the spare inner tube).
    And failing that take your chances..

mindmap3
    Free Member

I just carry CO2 cartridges in a saddle pack (I know, I know) but at least that way all my tools, tyre levers etc are always with the bike.

I don’t like having loads if stuff in my jersey pockets, just phone, food and some cash.

Solo
    Free Member

What a bunch of la,la’s you lot are !

Obey the rules !

Rule #30 // No frame-mounted pumps.
    Either Co2 cannisters or mini-pumps should be carried in jersey pockets (See Rule #31). The only exception to this rule is to mount a Silca brand frame pump in the rear triangle of the frame, with the rear wheel skewer as the pump mount nob, as demonstrated by members of the 7-Eleven and Ariostea pro cycling teams. As such, a frame pump mounted upside-down and along the left (skewer lever side) seat stay is both old skool and euro and thus acceptable. We restate at this time that said pump may under no circumstances be a Zefal and must be made by Silca. Said Silca pump must be fitted with a Campagnolo head. It is acceptable to gaffer-tape a mini-pump to your frame when no C02 cannisters are available and your pockets are full of spare kit and energy gels. However, the rider should expect to be stopped and questioned and may be required to empty pockets to prove there is no room in them for the pump.
    !

Sam

Frame fit under the top tube here.

nemesis
    Free Member

It strikes me that some of the rules were put together by posers rather than proper roadies. 😉

nickc

It strikes me that the rules were put together by a bunch of guys who knew which buttons to press

They were spot on mostly

MoreCashThanDash

It strikes me that anyone who takes “The Rules” seriously has no sense of humour.

Solo
    Free Member

It strikes me that anyone who takes “The Rules” seriously has no sense of humour.

😉

bokonon
    Free Member

Saddle bag, I love mine – 2 tubes, multitool, puncture repair kit, tyre levers, pump, surgical type gloves, spare brake pads and some emergency haribo.

Solo
    Free Member

Saddle bag, I love mine – 2 tubes, multitool, puncture repair kit, tyre levers, pump, surgical type gloves, spare brake pads and some emergency haribo.

Sooooo wrong, its difficult to know where to begin.

Firstly, “Saddle bag“, its a European, Posterior, Man Satchel. That you own one, yet alone admit, publicly, to using it, explains all that is wrong in the world, generally.

emergency haribo

For the Love of Merckx !

mattsccm
    Free Member

A saddle bag is one of those wonderful things that Carradice make, not a fiddly little thing that holds a tube or two and a multi tool. No idea what they should be called* but seat pack is abhorrent as its American. Quite why anyone would want one is beyond me. Just where does one strap ones faded yellow cape?
    * I call mine all sorts of rude words when I can’t zip it up with cold fingers in the rain.
    Rules are so true in spirit but so American and therefore so wrong in detail.

IanW
    Free Member

I have a Carradice Barley, never found an occasion when it was the right bag for the job, unused 50% of retail if anyone’s interested.

oldgit
    Free Member

Back pocket, it’s a pocket on the back and things go in it. My Road Morphs pretty big and you’d not know it was in there.

GrahamS

I have a Carradice Barley, never found an occasion when it was the right bag for the job

I have the Carradice SQR Slim. Holds a pump pretty comfortably 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Small camelback?

Why buy a light bike then stick 1-2lb ontop in water etc?!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Has to be a troll hora ! Either that or stupid.

Haze

Co2, jersey pockets.

Occasionally use a Lezyne micro caddy when space is at a premium.

hora
    Free Member

Troll? Ah I see. Must follow established rules

Plus wear lycra with lots of writing on your top.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

don’t carry one, i run tubs, if i get a puncture ill call home/get a taxi

trail_rat
    Free Member

Was more your justification for it

IanW
    Free Member

I have the Carradice SQR Slim. Holds a pump pretty comfortably

A 1000g bag with a 500g bracket would seem like a fairly ridiculous way to carry a 80g tyre pump.

GrahamS

Yes, yes it would.

parkesie
    Free Member

ndg
    Free Member

A friend has engineered his to click into place inside his seat post. Very ingenious.

cheers_drive

Until he forgets his multitool and can’t get the post off 👿

On my winter bike the pump is attached to a bottle cage mount and tools are in a seat pack. On the summer bike – for aesthetics reasons only – every thing goes in my jersey pockets.
    I can’t ever feel things in the pockets but if it’s attached to the bike it’s one less think to forget.

GrahamS

On the summer bike – for aesthetics reasons only – every thing goes in my jersey pockets.

Aesthetic reasons:

😆

eshershore
    Free Member

have no problems carrying what I need in my jersey pockets on my road bike?

road inner tube, tire lever and patches in left pocket

mobile phone, house keys, bank card and cash in middle pocket

mini pump and energy bar / gel in right pocket

cannot feel these items whilst riding…

…hate having anything bolted to my road bike except water bottle cages and bottles

GrahamS

Nope, don’t understand that at all. If I’m riding a horse then it wears the saddle, not me. 🙂

bokonon
    Free Member

blah blah blah [photo] For the Love of Merckx !

Sorry what?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

i ride MTB with jersey pockets full if im doing a ride where i can either call in at a shop, or get away with 1x bottle

camelbaks are hateful things

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m a 57 yr old MTBer/very occasional roadie, so I don’t give rats backside what I look like with my Camelbak or Dakine on the road bike, hateful thing that it is. (the road bike)
    A backpack is especially handy in Autumn, when fields are full of potatoes/carrots/peas etc etc. 😉

dirtyrider
    Free Member

i do use mine for commuting, long rides in the wilds, but the freedom of no backpack is so good 🙂

garage-dweller

Can’t beat a good muddy mountain bikes seat pack on the roadie and pumps go on the frame end of.

I am never going to look pro,partly because I am tubby and slow but mostly because I hate bulging road jersey pockets it means less room for my lard

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Roadies – Where do you put your pump ?’ is closed to new replies.