Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Help – Solicitors which hold my flat documents appear to have disappeared
  • dooosuk
    Free Member

So, I bought a flat back in 2006 using Allison & Reilly Solicitors in Middleton, Manchester and they hold my documents/papers regarding the flat.

I’ve just had an offer on my flat which I’ve accepted and so I phoned the number for them (0161 643 5923). This number is not in service.

I’ve googled them but the only other number I can find is 0844 805 4735 and this doesn’t work either.

They don’t seem to have there own website either.

Where do I go from here?

NJA

You need to go on the law society website and use the find a solicitor section. This will help you find who took them over.

somafunk

Contact the Law Society (google it), they’ll be able to sort you out

johndoh
    Free Member

I am sure there will be a central resource for issues like this – an organisation that will point you in the right direction. The documents will be safe.

Somewhere.

djglover
    Free Member

Did you own outright, if not the deeds will be at the bank

martinhutch

http://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/problems/solicitor-closed-down.page

They appear to have a Liverpool number on Google. Worth trying first.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Mmmm, I’m getting a bad feeling that they went bankrupt:
    http://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/solicitor-check/162851.article

although this is for Liverpool I assume they’re connected.

Shouldn’t they have written to me informing me? Where will my documents be held now?

IanMunro
    Free Member

What documents?

dooosuk
    Free Member

No, I don’t own outright so hopefully important stuff is with the bank and anything they hold is not important?

First property sale and sold after first viewing…all a bit new to me this stuff.

dooosuk
    Free Member

What documents?

I don’t know…the last letter I have from them at purchase said:

“We confirm that we will be holding all your documents and papers in the event that you wish to instruct us should you decide to sell or re-mortgage …..”

Do they not hold anything important then?

djglover
    Free Member

I doubt they hold anything that another solicitor can’t get from the bank and land registry.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Cheers…panic subsiding now.

This flat selling malarky was going too well (only been on market 2 weeks and after first viewing I accept the offer) I thought this was going to be a major stumbling block.

martinhutch

If your lender doesn’t have them:

http://www.landsearch.net/lost_deeds.asp

You’ll have to instruct a new conveyancing solicitor sharpish anyhow, so as long as you get onto it quickly, you should’t be too far behind.

ourmaninthenorth

They’ve either gone bust or been merged into another firm. If you want to track them down, contact the Solicitors Regulatory Authority – they will help. If there’s been an intervention, they will tell you which firm now has the files.

Unless there’s anything unusual about your property ownership, everything ought to have been registered at the Land Registry and the mortgagee will hold any other documents. Remember – “deeds” for properties haven’t existed for nearly a century (and deffo not a flat last bought in 2006).

Top tip: tell your next conveyancers to do you a full copy of your file for you to keep at home.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Thanks…was going to change solicitors anyway so will get onto it.

crankboy
    Free Member

As above really the Land Registry will hold all the necessary documents ie Title Certificate and Charges Certificate .

The letter you old solicitors wrote was standard
    :-“we have some papers(copy letters etc) we will keep them (becuse we are obliged to), We would love the chance to make more money out of you if you sell”

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Help – Solicitors which hold my flat documents appear to have disappeared’ is closed to new replies.